No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-12, 3:21pm
metallics freak

Default super clean bead holes???

i've been making lots of big hole beads lately and am in a quandry over how to get the inside looking shiny and pretty..obviously not happening with the dremel as it leaves a scratchy etched looking surface.

since i'm using a 3/4" madrel, it's important to pass on a bead that looks as lovely from the inside as it does from the outside...

any hints, tips or tricks i could use?

bts
Old 2006-12-12, 3:25pm

Take a look at these threads:
John says that Zappz will polish the holes. I'm waiting for mine to arrive, so I don't have any experience with it yet. Sure hope it works!

Edit: Oops! My link didn't work so I removed it. Search for "Zappz" using the search function at the top of the page. There are several threads.

Last edited by Judi_B; 2006-12-12 at 4:09pm. Reason: bad link
Old 2006-12-12, 3:27pm
metallics freak

dang, the link isn't working for me...what search terms did you use?

thanks for the help judi!
Old 2006-12-12, 3:37pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

Try this link: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Zappz

If it doesn't work just type in and search for Zappz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alaina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-12, 3:41pm
metallics freak

found the info..thanks again!
Old 2006-12-12, 4:03pm

Sorry for the bad link, I forgot to test it and then headed off to fix dinner. There are four more threads that discuss Zappz you can find them by searching for Zappz. I'll edit my post above.
Old 2006-12-12, 8:22pm
Established Thinker I Am

Seems like I read somewhere about coating the hole with clear finger nail polish. It helps the hole look nice and shiny and clean.

Serena

l
l
l
Old 2006-12-12, 11:19pm
one day at a time

I forget where I saw this the other day, but it was on this forum:

I would love to try this!

http://www.conservationresources.com...ction39_08.htm
Old 2006-12-13, 6:51am
Rose colored glasses…√

I have some glass wax hiding in my hobby shed "somewhere". I used it to take the grinder marks off of the edge of my glass pieces when I was making wind chimes (before I had a kiln and could melt 'em smooth). I was wondering to myself if that would work in the bead holes. Of course I need to "find" it before I can "find" out. Probably easier just to buy another can of it, if I can remember where I purchased it from. I "think" it was Home Depot...drat, it sucks getting old.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-14, 2:23pm
Life is change. Love it

I've heard the clear nail polish thingtoo. Apparently you dip a mandrel in it and push it through the hole. I've never done it though, so can't comment on how well it works

Old 2006-12-14, 4:21pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I've heard the clear nail polish thingtoo. Apparently you dip a mandrel in it and push it through the hole. I've never done it though, so can't comment on how well it works
I've never done it with the really huge holes, like the ring mandrel size holes, but for regular size holes it works nicely. People who don't like the idea say that it will wear off eventually, which I'm sure is true. If it's a choice between doing nothing and having a gritty-looking hole, or nail-polishing it and having it wear off eventually, I'll nail polish it. On the other hand, if the Zappz actually works, for a reasonable amount of effort (not sure what I consider a reasonable amount, but I guess I'll figure that out), I'll do that.

I've done the sequential polishing with various steps of jeweler's grit and polish when I've had a bad end on a big fancy bead. It's a lot of work, so from my standpoint, it has to be a DARN nice bead for that to constitute a reasonable amount of effort. I only ever do that on the ends, not the entire way through the hole. That would not be a reasonable amount of effort, plus I don't think I have any tools that would work.
Old 2006-12-18, 11:17pm
Plays With Fire

Default Large-hole polishing w/ZAPPZ!

Hi Em,

Sorry so long to respond, had to get orders caught up first. Yes, ZAPPZ! will handle large-hole beads just fine. Detailed instructions are included with each order, but suffice it to say that if you can find a felt dremel pad the same size or a little smaller than your mandrel hole, you're home free. And the results are permanent, not temporary as with waxes, nail polish, Future, etc.

As far as the amount of work to get there, that's influenced by where you start from (gritty vs smooth releases, diamond files, etc.) but either way the time required is pretty reasonable, and definitely adds sufficient value to the piece to be worthwhile.

Hope this helps answer your questions,

John

Old 2006-12-19, 12:08pm
In spite of it all!

I am interested in this as well! I sent an email... but my ISP is not always up to speed or what ever their current problem is. The joys of living remote island style! LOL

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2006-12-23, 12:23am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taneres View Post
Seems like I read somewhere about coating the hole with clear finger nail polish. It helps the hole look nice and shiny and clean.

Serena
Nothing works for me as good as this! I use Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails and it will make the hole nearly invisible. Once I found a bead with release still in it after I had put the nail polish on and let it dry. It took some time to remove the polish to get at the release...and I was using a diamond drill bit! So I know this stuff is tough! I just dip a toothpick into the polish and wipe it around in the bead hole until it all turns super clear.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-12-23, 1:01am
I'm a lilac!

I use nail polish on my big-hole beads as well. I just really like the look, ad it may wear off in time but I forewarn my customers and, to tell the truth, the polish in the big-hole bead I have been wearing on a silver snake chain for YEARS still isn't showing any signs of wearing off.

Old 2006-12-23, 2:32am
Entropy increasing....

I polished a couple with diamond polish that is used to polish stones with. That took too long. It looked great, but it took too long.