Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-09, 6:56pm
I needs me gold!

Default Amazon Bronze, my new favorite color!

I have just decided that GA Amazon Bronze is my new favorite color! I have used it in the past, but I never noticed how beautiful it is! Does anyone have any tips on how to work with it?

I made a frog out of it and overworked it. It lost the beautiful sparkly color I was going for and it turned steel gray. Not what I wanted. The next time I used it, I encased it in clear and retained the bronze sparkle, but it seems to need to be thinned out a bit. I want to spread out that sparkle.

I would appreciate any tips or comments!
Thanks
Old 2006-11-09, 7:06pm

Check out this thread - http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30960

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-09, 8:59pm
I needs me gold!

Thanks Eric, I thought I had seen something about AB before. and thanks for the implosion tutorial! We all learned how to make pendants from your tutorial and it started us down the boro road to bliss!
Thanks again!
Old 2006-11-09, 9:02pm
The Venerable Bead

try amazon bronze frit. leave it raised and reduce it for some real wow metallic sparkle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-11-10, 6:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteeters
Thanks Eric, I thought I had seen something about AB before. and thanks for the implosion tutorial! We all learned how to make pendants from your tutorial and it started us down the boro road to bliss!
Thanks again!
I can't take credit for the tutorial. I think that was done by Chad (Cosmo). Have you tried layering a thin layer of AB over a white base (frit or rod) yet? It looks pretty cool.

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-12, 7:26pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteeters View Post
I have just decided that GA Amazon Bronze is my new favorite color! I have used it in the past, but I never noticed how beautiful it is! Does anyone have any tips on how to work with it?

I made a frog out of it and overworked it. It lost the beautiful sparkly color I was going for and it turned steel gray. Not what I wanted. The next time I used it, I encased it in clear and retained the bronze sparkle, but it seems to need to be thinned out a bit. I want to spread out that sparkle.

I would appreciate any tips or comments!
Thanks
Just from reading this, I'm wondering if you are talking about Bronze Sparkle instead of Amazon Bronze. I've never seen Amazon Bronze sparkle. And, encased it usually turns somewhat purple for me...

Old 2006-11-14, 5:32pm
I needs me gold!

I'm pretty sure it's Amozon Bronze. That was what we ordered. But the last time I worked with AB, it looked different. It's way sparklie when I pull it in a thin cane and encase it with clear. If I don't encase it, it looses the sparkle. That's the effect I'm trying to capture. If I get a chance I will try to photograph it this weekend.

Sorry for getting the tutorial authors mixed up! My son, his wife, her mother, me, and my husband all have benefited from the implosion pendant tut and the heart tutorials. They basically helped get us started with boro! Thanks to all of you!
Old 2006-11-15, 6:22am
ManBearPig

I'd love to see a photo of it. I've never had any sort of sparkle from Amazon Bronze.

Old 2006-11-20, 10:48am
I needs me gold!

Here's a picture of the supposed Amazon Bronze. See what I mean about the sparkle?
Attached Images

Old 2006-11-20, 10:55am
ManBearPig

Yeah. That looks like Amazon Bronze. The "sparkles" are bubbles. I've never seen them in the finished product, though.

Old 2006-11-20, 12:24pm
I needs me gold!

The stringer in the background is encased in clear and I looked closer and you are right, the sparkles appear to be streched out bubbles! I did some implosion pendants with the AB frit mixed with clear frit and they turned out a cool reddish color.

Now I'm playing with the new GA colors, Havana Moon, Silver Sands, and Tequila Sunrise! I like them all. Havana Moon reminds me of NS Turquesa kinda.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 2006-11-20, 12:29pm
Type ZZZ personality

AB sure likes to bleed doesn't it? I encased a rod with it and then encased it in clear and it bled out the edges like crazy!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-11-21, 8:53am
I needs me gold!

I hadn't noticed, but I'm just now playing with it. I'll keep that in mind. The stringers I pulled were very small. It's an interesting color. I think I will have to master the encasement to get the color I want. Milon Townsend uses a tube to do his encasements. I tried that, but my rods aren't perfectly straight, so I can't encase a very long piece! Also, it's hard not to trap air using the tube. I'm sure it take much practice!
Old 2006-11-21, 9:25am
ManBearPig

In order to not trap air, just start at one end and work hot. Get a little bit melted down, then move over a little. The air will be forced out the open end.

However, tube encasing Amazon Bronze will give you a different color than you are used to. It needs the flame to hit the surface of the glass to get the color to strike. It may still look okay, but it just won't always be the same color.

Old 2006-11-21, 3:19pm
I needs me gold!

Thanks for the tips! I try to encase like that, I just always seem to trap a little bubble some where along the way!