Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-01, 12:24am

Paula,
Thank you for mentioning the fees. I totally forgot but Yes, OMG did I pay. I do NOT have a business major. I jumped into this totally blind and I didn't know one thing! After all this, I've learned soo much!
First was the fee to send a wire to Germany. Next was when the order came in, I paid a customs fee. Then you pay to have the glass stored until you can get it out of customs. Then you pay a broker who gets it out of customs for you. You can do it yourself but you better know what your doing. I had to hire a broker to do it. They also have huge fees and then you have to pay for a bond and a host of other things. Then you have to pay for a forklift to put your glass on a truck, then you have to pay the trucking company money to ship it to your house. Then, (well with me) you spend hours cutting the glass because it comes in 3 feet length. They are dirty, smell of vinegar and after cutting it, they are full of glass frit. So you wash them, dry them, then you weigh it, bundle it in 1/4 lb bundles. If your a home shop like I am, YOU do this work yourself. You've got cuts on the hands, legs and arms (some that required stitches)
Anddddd.....if your old like me....You friggin hurt for days. My ribs have been pulled out so many times and I'm starting to walk like my father
But.....the glass is beautiful, clear, gorgeous colors....It's worth every pain
Irene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-01, 3:41pm

Yeah I paid the broker too even though I had at least 2 books on how to do the paperwork! Some of the fees are ridiculous and yes I hurt for days after cutting and cleaning. Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2007-08-01 at 3:53pm.
Old 2007-08-01, 3:48pm

Paula,
I keep thinking Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon....."I'm too old for this chit!"
But all in all, lauscha is just such a beautiful glass and worth every penny. I love just looking at the rods and the clarity to them. They are vibrant and just something that you can "awwww" every time. My daughter loves the Milky way and I still have not yet played with any of the glass that came in my shipment and there were about 51 colors ordered. I'm afraid that if I use a rod, then I'll keep grabbing lol. I try and only use what's been in my personal stash for the past year and not touch the business glass as my daughter calls it! Or like everyone else, I'll have to save up money so I can buy it from myself I've been very good so far!
~Irene~

Old 2007-08-01, 3:55pm

Ah you should try being my age!
I use my company Lauscha because I don't have a lot of time left! Plus I also had a stash before I imported for the studio. What I love about the colors is the way they work. You can make beads faster with the chunkier rods and it's just about impossible to scum it up!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !