Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-28, 7:25am

Default dk.ivory/grey?

I'm liking some of the effects I'm getting with the dark ivory and reactive colors but I find I need something in the cool tones that does a similar thing. Is there a pale grey or grey blue glass that gives a similar look to the dark ivory?

Laurie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-28, 7:34am
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Laurie - I know that the silvered glasses (reduction) can turn pearl gray sort of yellowish. Here's a bead I did last year. The metallic stringerwork is slightly raised, but you can see the yellowish reaction it left on the pearl gray:

I really like effetre #252 pastel dark gray. It's kind of a streaky color which can look cool. This bead doesn't have any silvered glass in it, but you can see a bit of a reaction line between the dark gray base and avocado. Maybe try dark gray!

Old 2010-06-28, 7:49am

Beautiful beads Ginny!

I wrote that and I heard Forest Gumps voice in my head... I think I need more sleep....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-06-28, 8:53am

Default shards?

Yes, lovely beads! Thank you for that. They still look more into the warm tones than I need.
I've been surfing around and maybe I will have to try shards, which will be new for me...ARGHHH! My worktop has no room!
It looks like maybe silvered ivory shards over a cool neutral might do the trick.
Who has a good selection of shards for sale?

Laurie

Old 2010-06-28, 12:48pm
It's all about the color.

I have my Effetre Frit charts online where all the colors are tested in various conditions an one of the tests is on Ivory. You can look for reactions there:
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm
You'll also find other glass there as well, like Double Helix, Loetz, etc. Working on adding more.

OK, I so read your question backwards. In that case, check the beads in my chart that react with silver and the copper colored glass (in my chart the silver column and the pet mix column.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2010-06-28 at 1:33pm. Reason: Read the question backwards
Old 2010-06-28, 1:15pm

I'm not sure if it fits the tones you are looking for, but Dark Fossil does lovely things with silver glass and is a striped gray color in the rod.
Mary T.

Old 2010-06-28, 1:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post

Knock my socks off, Ginny. Okay, so I am not wear socks...but if I were.
Great beads.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-06-28, 1:43pm
state-eternal change

I made a periwinkle bead with DH dots on it, and it got fumed/reduced to a lovely grey/green colour.

Old 2010-06-28, 3:20pm
Creatrixie

Thumbs up

Oooh! Thanks for the tip, Mary!
I love Fossil and Dk. Fossil. I've tried it with fine silver wire, but hadn't tried it with silver glass. I'll have to do that next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
I'm not sure if it fits the tones you are looking for, but Dark Fossil does lovely things with silver glass and is a striped gray color in the rod.
Mary T.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104