LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-10, 7:04am

Default knot tying thingy-mmbobber...

Does anyone use them? Do they work? I have changed the way I make bracelets and need to tie knots at the ends which is almost impossible to do without leaving some slack.
What do you guys use to do this? Where can I get this product, I know I have seen them but where?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-05-10, 9:43am

I'm unsure exactly which knot tieing device you mean, but perhaps it's the Tricord Knotter that Rio Grande carries? My wife uses one to knot pearls and such - might be what you need to that end tie. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but it works really well once you get the hang of it.

Robert
Old 2006-05-10, 10:29pm
Corgi Cult Member

This is kinda hard to explain, but here goes: Use a stiletto, or needle tool (you want it to be thin but strong). Tie the knot loosely, put needle in center of knot, lower the needle to put the knot in the correct location as you also tighten the knot. (It's like running the knot down the string.) When the knot is down as far as it needs to go and the knot is pretty tight, pull the needle out and finish tightening the knot.

This will seem really awkward at first. A good way to practice is to knot between pearls or beads. Try making a string of them. I have used this method to knot pearls without having to buy the Tricord. If I knotted pearls frequently, I would probably look into the tool, but my makeshift method has worked fine for me.

Kathy
Old 2006-05-11, 4:58am
<--- Time traveler

I have the Tri-Cord, and it works pretty well. You can get them at Fire Mountain Gems and also at Rio Grande, I think. Probably Shipwreck Beads as well.

Courtney
Old 2006-05-11, 7:09am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I have the know tying thingy ma bob, and it works wonderfully! I can string pearls like a proffesional with one of them! and quick! but,, you can also use a beading awl, or even a skewer. if youre going to be doing alot of knot tying I would invest in the tri cord. its hard to undo any knot mistakes in silk thread.
xo Laurie

~~
~~
Old 2006-05-12, 6:13am

If you're tying knots on the whole bracelet between every bead, go for the Tri-cord knotter . If you're tying ONE knot on each end, don't bother--use the method Artwhim described--the tri-cord is $$ & for one knot per bracelet, not really worth the hassle/$ per knot .
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies