Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-07-27, 10:33am

G, try putting them back in the kiln, too, for a couple of hours more. See how they change color. The blue is silver haze on the surface. If you burn that off more you'll get more of the kiln-striking pink and amber to show through. They should go into the kiln pale amber yellow, and the pink-amber-orangey colors come up in the kiln. And it can be struck for days if needed. Apparently they do strike faster in the kiln if they were worked hotter?

The Double Mai Tai, and the Mega Mai Tai, will give you the immediate color right in the flame like the DAP does. The Mai Tai Pink is designed to be a kiln-striker, because that gives artists who want it more control over their final color. FWIW...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-07-27, 2:53pm

thanks.
on the ap i could see the haze and burn it off with no prob. but i couldn't see any haze on the mai tai.
I'll give it another go and see what happens.
G.

Last edited by G.L.McBead; 2011-07-28 at 11:14am.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:05pm
He can do the origami

The haze actually burns off of the Mai Tai quick and stays off easily. Give it another one, two or three cycles in the kiln, it might surprise you. Also, strike it at a higher temp than you normally would the AP family.
Old 2011-08-10, 8:11am

Here is a Mai Tai heart I made last night
it is mega mai over star white

#C-151
Old 2011-08-10, 9:33am

nice!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-08-19, 12:41pm
glass crazy

Smile Yummy Glass

This is such gorgeous glass but so expensive - thanks very much for this help, it will save money...... but really need MORE pix !!!
Old 2011-08-19, 4:00pm

This just in... Apparently some batches are a bit slow to strike? And need a good boost to 1150 for a bit to trigger them well? Paul says he has been playing with some variations in this recipe that will kiln strike faster. FWIW...

Old 2011-09-21, 2:00pm

I havent posted the flowers I made with Mai Tai but they started out translucent lemon yellow, then went to darker and darker ambers - I annealed at 1050 4 times and now they are a gorgeous plum color but no pink.....Should I continue to re-kiln or is it just going to get darker? Its not a bad looking color at this point but not much variation in the color I'll try to remember to post a pic.
Old 2011-09-21, 2:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
I havent posted the flowers I made with Mai Tai but they started out translucent lemon yellow, then went to darker and darker ambers - I annealed at 1050 4 times and now they are a gorgeous plum color but no pink.....Should I continue to re-kiln or is it just going to get darker? Its not a bad looking color at this point but not much variation in the color I'll try to remember to post a pic.
In my experience, color variation in silver opals like MT comes from some amount of reduction being mixed in somewhere along the way and also some kind of heat differential. Work along those lines and you might like the result. I have not had a whole lot of luck kiln striking so far. I prefer striking colors like the double MT that can be struck in the torch. Just my style.
Old 2011-09-21, 2:26pm

Thanks! I will try that on the next set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
In my experience, color variation in silver opals like MT comes from some amount of reduction being mixed in somewhere along the way and also some kind of heat differential. Work along those lines and you might like the result. I have not had a whole lot of luck kiln striking so far. I prefer striking colors like the double MT that can be struck in the torch. Just my style.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:25pm

I've been working with mai tai for a month now here some of my results. They are mixed with other colors but are heavy with Mai Tai.

scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2011-09-24 at 10:18pm.
Old 2011-09-23, 7:49am

Beautiful.

Old 2011-09-23, 8:59am

Nice, Scott. This color has an amazing range. Are these kiln or torch struck?
Old 2011-09-23, 10:45am

Nevada, yes - what Larry said. Otter too had found that you get more pinks where you heated the bejeebus out of it, and more ambers where it was just melted into place and kiln struck. The blues come from kiln striking the reduction haze on the surface if you don't burn it all off, or are inside the pieces if you work some reduction in while you melt it (that's what Paul T. likes to do.)

Old 2011-09-24, 8:15am

I promised a pic of my mai tai flower - here it is:
Old 2011-09-24, 5:45pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Gorgeous work with Mai Tai! That flower is amazing! And the heart, and Scott's beads always make my say Whoa!

Old 2011-09-24, 6:15pm

like!!

Old 2011-10-05, 3:15pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Well I had to do it. (that little boro devil on my shoulder was SCREAMING at me!)
Have some stuff in the kiln right now. I have read, and re-read this thread from stem to stern LOL! Hoping that I can get at least a little of the fantastic colors I see here, on my Minor with one oxycon....Hey! It could happen!
Keeping fingers crossed

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2011-10-06, 2:39pm

nitadee, just rememeber you might have to re-anneal 3 or 4 times. I annealed my flower 4 different times before I got that color. the first time it came out a yellowish amber, second it came out a dark amber-ish rose, 3rd and 4th were just deeper richers tones of purples and reds. The 4th time is when I really noticed the blues as well.
Old 2011-10-07, 3:33pm

We have altered the recipe to strike faster. FWIW... but that is newer batches only.

Old 2011-10-09, 8:18am

A flower I made. Mai Tai over snow white.
Old 2011-10-11, 2:25pm

Sooo - now you've gone and done it - guess I am going to have place yet another order for glass...oh, and a few more slots to store it in...next stop - a bigger studio - LOL

oh wait - you can never have too many toys or too much glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
We have altered the recipe to strike faster. FWIW... but that is newer batches only.