Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: What do you do with your boro "rejects"?
Rework them into something else. 32 25.81%
Bust them up for frit. 12 9.68%
Give to friends/family. 23 18.55%
Give to kids in the neighborhood. 9 7.26%
Give as tip in restaurant for bad service. 1 0.81%
Other 47 37.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-02-27, 4:13am
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I am still learning so only about 2% of my stuff is worth keeping.

Eric
Me too!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2007-02-27, 5:30am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Survey should also add -
becomes part of fish tank gravel
dropped in liquid soap container for weight
added to bead release jar to help mixing when you shake jar
given as tips to Starbucks people (they like them)
thrown into gravel in random parking lot or location for child to discover?

BUT lately I have been running through another kiln strike. Place in kiln, run up to 1080 or 1100-ish, leave for anywhere from 10 min to an hour, depending and sometimes the Beast turns into Beauty. I have been getting amazing resilts with GA Persimmon Strike - deeeeep yummy magenta purple - gorgeous!!

pssst - they may have some left on their "we love our customers" sale that is still happening!!!
Old 2007-02-27, 5:58am

They are mine! All mine! I'm still so fascinated by boro that I don't see failures at all. I see opportunities to learn. I'm not ashamed of them and I don't hate to look at them. These are the beads that are mine, all mine and no guilt in keeping them for myself!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-02-27, 6:04am
crabby...who me?

What I consider a failure I just put in a container next to the kiln,My wife always asks what wrong with these? and rescues them and takes them upstairs.According to her,there are no failures. I never throw 50 dollar a pound glass away.
Jeff

Last edited by Pyroglasstic; 2007-02-27 at 6:09am.
Old 2007-03-05, 8:34am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

My latest thing to do with my boro (and other) failures is to use them
as decorative "rocks" in my fountain. It's just a small, tabletop one for the
studio (a little Feng Shui to get the money flowing in ) but it looks
great!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-29, 12:47pm
Trying to Hope!

I will have to remeber some of these tips and ideas for now i keep everyhting even if its ugly its my ugly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-03-29, 1:55pm

I'm learning how to do some beads now with boro. I'm thinking about putting them into stepping stones. At least they would bring some color to them. Then I was thinking as some with a hammer and then get the frustration out. Oh well something to do.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-03-29, 2:09pm

I pretend they are normal and give them away!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-03-19, 3:23am
Catchen' the Sun

they might not be worth letting anyone look at them but they make pretty color in bowls. I have a ton of bowls sitting around everywhere just cause they get thrown in and left forever. Most of what I make is crap so no biggie I am use to it.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2012-03-19, 5:38am

You could put them into concrete stepping stones. Just showing the pretty parts. It would be a nice way to make something after your efforts the first time.

Old 2012-03-19, 7:01am
Pyromaniac

Seems like there's always someone out there who will pay retail for what I consider a failure. <shrug>

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-19, 10:20am

I've done most of the things mentioned. I've also discovered people will usually but them when I put them out. You never can tell what someone else will like.
Old 2012-03-19, 10:37am
Glassy Broad :-)

Reuse and recycle. I heat them up in the kiln, punty up to them and start twisting the heck out of it. pull into a twisty, or what have you, and MOST of the time I have a viable piece of working glass. Worse case I have crappy glass that I can use on the inside of something else

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2012-03-19, 2:46pm

are they really failures? i have made pendants that i thought were ugly and then comes along someone at the Sonoran Glass Art Academy that says, wow what a neat pendant, and i am thinking okay i don't think so. there is some out there in the world that will like your creation.
if you really do not want them then i can give you my sister-n-laws address to use them in her mosaics
Old 2012-03-19, 3:16pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Eric, you know me.... I want all your "not what I was after" things....lol

I give them to my best friend. Penny puts them in jars and her "beach garden" in her front yard, the birds like to go through it and spread them all over the yard, but Penny loves them in her garden. She gets all my cracked things that I don't want to fix and all the fuglies.

#K58
Old 2012-03-19, 5:22pm

I make many into hearts or pull them into twisties.
Old 2012-03-20, 11:03am

Wow, this is an old thread. LOL I have a lot less crappy work now than when I started, but when things don't turn out I lay a pile of them by my workbench and use them to play with when I am almost out of oxy or propane. I am a real miser when it comes to propane and oxy so I use every last bit of it. And some of the playtime work has turned into new ideas or some cool pendants for the kids bowl at the shows I do. Little pieces for $5 that kids can buy for themselves are very popular.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2012-03-21, 6:40pm

When I'm making bead sets and have one too big or too small, it goes in the Beads of Courage pile. I just started making marbles and was using dud implosion pendants to practice "round". Pulled bail off, heated stretched, folded back to back, added clear in crack, twisted and voila, spiral marble. Got idea from Glassline Vol 25 No 2, Ecofriendly spiral pod pendants.
Old 2012-03-21, 10:19pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

This is a cool thread and gave me an idea. When my daughter was first born and I needed an artistic outlet but couldn't get to the studio, I made soap using the glycerine blocks you can buy at craft stores, essential oils, herbs, coloring, etc. So now I'm thinking I can use the beads I'm not so crazy about as "prizes" in bars of soap!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2012-03-22, 5:52am

I like this one Paula 'I pretend they are normal and give them away!!'

Old 2012-03-22, 12:24pm
Fire and Fluidity

I break them up for frit, but the larger broken pieces (if they are not too sharp) I toss out on the local beach for "beach glass" collectors to find.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2012-03-23, 6:27am

I keep all the failures- recently I've begun remixing old pendants, stringers, broken wine glass experiments mixing it down on the glass lathe several times and pulling it out into cane. Feels good to be using your own blends and shades.

www.alanussher.com
Old 2012-04-11, 10:03am
Dead man walking

I bought a table with a glass top that has an inset area. I dump all my bad glass into it. Even crap glass looks really pretty all jumbled together on display
Old 2012-04-12, 5:15pm

I put them in a box...aka my "rock box" and look at them to learn from my mistakes and try again.

Old 2012-04-16, 1:04am
professional gimme fiver

I'm a soft glass gal and have had many rejects & fuglies. I like to keep them in a giant jar in the living room. It acts as a great door stopper! I've also given them away to my son's friends & teachers.

I always think that if a bead is ugly, try etching or tumbling it. Sometimes it turns out to be a real "diamond in the rough".

Old 2012-04-28, 8:58pm
Always Improving

We have a fountain in our garden and add our failures to the fountain. They look great as the water cascades over them and our neighbors think we rock with our artistic interpretaion of coral.
Old 2012-05-02, 6:08pm
crabby...who me?

I have a container of what I consider flawed stuff or rejects.Of course Im the only one who thinks they are flawed or rejects.My sister comes over and buys some stuff for gifts a couple times a year.She always request a look at the rejects and buys some of them too.There are always some I wouldnt charge her for.
Old 2012-05-02, 7:21pm

I'm still new so they are all "my babies" LOL! A lot of them I keep because they represent an idea that I want to work on later; others I keep because I am learning to move forward, not back, so I try again instead of trying to rescue (although I have, occasionally).
Old 2012-05-02, 9:28pm

I keep allot of them too for the same reason and I also rework them. Here is a picture of the stash area which is right beside my torch. It's ideas at my finger tips. The blue box is full of good ideas gone bad. lol
Attached Images

Old 2012-05-03, 1:46pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I put them in a bowl at whatever venue I'm at and sell them cheap.