No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-12-12, 11:36am
reaction junkie

Default torching outside

so... we are moving. And the new house doesn't have a garage yet, or a shed with electricity... so... I was thinking - maybe just on nice days... if I couldn't stand it... I could torch outside on the patio. What do you think of this idea? Is torching outside safe (fume-wise, etc.) ?

thanks
Pam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/
Old 2005-12-12, 1:02pm
Safety ALWAYS

Oh, yes, no problem at all. If there is no breeze, a fan to move the static air from in front of your face is a must.

Some people have reported a loss of vision of the flame due to the bright sky, so you may want to set up a dark background to work against.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-12-12, 10:19pm
reaction junkie

oh very cool - thanks!

/
/
/
Old 2005-12-13, 12:20am

That's where I torch Pam!
Oh & I couldn't stand not being able to see the flame, so I "lost" the didy's & put on my (really GOOD) polarized sunglasses--they're safety quality thick polycarbonate lenses (osha rated) so no fear of flying shards--now I see the "sodaflare" to tell me when I've got the glass in the 'right spot'....still can't see the flame, lol...but can sure tell when the bead's in the right spot! Instant "flare"! (funny though--without the sunglass--if I peep over the top--I can't see the flare!)

If I torch late evening/nights I use the didy's as the flame is visible then....

Of course NOW it's just too darn cold...something about 21 degrees with a windchill of 9 & stuffing beads into a fiber blanket....brrrrrr....sorry, not for me....

~lyn
waiting for spring
hoping to figure out an inexpensive, & temporarily installable ventilation system...(is there such a thing?)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-12-13, 12:58pm
reaction junkie

Hiya Lyn - thanks for the tips! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is all I can say about YOUR weather! (Mine too, actually but still it's balmy here compared to you ) I wonder if you could upgrade your kitchen fan and then just do it in there - put a cover over the stove? LOL - what a production.

/
/
/