Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-10-23, 6:10pm

Maybe I missed it, but where can I get a thimble mandrel? I really wnat to make some of these! How adorable!!!
Old 2009-10-23, 6:57pm
Critter Mom

I got a flyer from Arrow Springs a while back and they had a really good price for them, take a look at this link
http://www.arrowsprings.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-26, 6:49am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
I got a flyer from Arrow Springs a while back and they had a really good price for them, take a look at this link
http://www.arrowsprings.com/
Yes, Arrow Springs has their very own thimble mandrels. I've had a few folks contact me, but, alas, I do not make them anymore. Please go to Arrow Springs for you thimble mandrels. But if you have any difficulty using them or just need some tips, feel free to contact me. I have not seen the AR mandrels but they can't be that much different to use than the ones I made.
Old 2010-02-16, 6:08pm
Annie

Resurrection on the thimble thread! I just bought a thimble mandrel and tried it out, do you use a thick stringer to put on the base glass? I used a white rod and it turned out really thick walled. did not save it.

Tanked Oxy
Old 2010-02-16, 9:32pm
Critter Mom

There are probably lots of others who have more experience, I've only made a few thimbles but I've never used stringer. I always start at the small end...cap that...then start winding my glass on just like I do for making my critters. I'm prone to bubbles, so I do it little by little till I get it the size I like, a single layer then marver it to smooth it out and evenly distribute the glass. I make any little corrections on the edges to get it even and then start decorating. Here's a photo of one:

Still got to work on making the top a bit better.

Old 2010-02-16, 9:48pm

I think it looks great!! As a quilter - a true thimble has a flatter top, but as a lampworker, I think it rocks...love the flower faces!!

Old 2010-02-16, 11:23pm
Critter Mom

Thanks Melody ... I'm so glad you let me know that the top needs to be flatter. I knew something was wrong but I don't sew...anything, so I was having a hard time figuring out exactly what needed to be done. My Mom's a quilter, she does applique mostly and she hasn't seen any of my thimbles yet...figured I'd wait till I got a little better at making them.

Old 2010-02-17, 12:09am
Annie

Thanks Bonnie, this will be a lot of help I am sure!

Tanked Oxy
Old 2010-02-17, 4:59am

If I'm doing a transparent thimble I do use a thick white stringer to put on the base ... but be careful if you slip you'll pull up your bead release....

For the top I use a pinecone leather tool... it's big enough to flatten and texture the top think this is the link http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...re=Product_130

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2010-02-17, 11:37am
tweetysweetie

Wow! I'm so happy this thread popped up because I didn't know it existed, and could have saved myself alot of "trial & error" over the last year by reading it! lol However, much of what I've gotten done I stumbled across on my own. Lynda, absolutely great tips. I had a mini frog already so that was a given for the depressions. Dipping the mandrals nice and smooth..that was a challenge at first. I dremel out the bead release. I do try to lay the "perfect" bottom line at first but have to admit, sometimes I cheat by flat lapping the bottom for a awesome finished look.
Everyone your ideas are fabulous! thanks for sharing, here are some of the ones I've done this last several months.
Attached Images

Old 2010-02-17, 8:43pm
Critter Mom

Ooh la la, a Flat Lap ... it's on my "wish list". Your thimbles are beautiful !

Old 2010-02-17, 9:04pm
tweetysweetie

Bonnie, thanks so much for the compliment, coming from you, that makes me smile as I admire YOUR work greatly...you'll love your flat lap when you finally get it..

Old 2010-02-19, 9:30am
Lover of Life

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. Here is a new thimble I just listed on Etsy. Love the way the Triton and Psyche colors came out. Of course, the photo doesn't nearly do that silver glass justice!
Have a good one!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2010-02-19, 9:41am
Lover of Life

Oh here's another one...

Old 2010-02-19, 9:46am
Lover of Life

Oop! One more!

Old 2010-02-19, 8:01pm
tweetysweetie

Becky, I really like the first one....very pretty..

Old 2010-02-20, 7:09pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Oh, A thimble thread,I love it!I just got my mandrel from Arrow Springs so this is my first thimble.(I think we should move this to the gallery!)
Becky,I love the DH one.I tried some Triton today but am still strugging with the colors(even after taking a class).
Attached Images

Old 2010-02-20, 11:25pm
Lover of Life

Thanks so much Catharine and Sheila! Sheila your first thimble is absolutely precious! Well done! I'm sure you'll be hooked too.

I agree, this should be in the gallery. How does that happen?

Old 2010-02-21, 7:16am

thank you for the tutorial! I had given up making them cause they never come out right and I was getting frustrated. This tutorial explains all my mistakes, I will now be anxious to try again!

Barb
Old 2010-02-21, 8:33am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexrox View Post
Thanks so much Catharine and Sheila! Sheila your first thimble is absolutely precious! Well done! I'm sure you'll be hooked too.

I agree, this should be in the gallery. How does that happen?
I don't know,I'm computer challenged!

Old 2010-03-06, 10:25am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
This is what I made from the thimbles mandrel:

What a cute idea for expanding a thimble mold! I just made my first thimble, and I had no idea it takes so long! I can't wait to make more though!

I wanted to ask - do any of you grind the bottom edge? How do you make sure they are smooth and not sharp edged?

Old 2010-03-06, 10:53am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
I dremel out the bead release. I do try to lay the "perfect" bottom line at first but have to admit, sometimes I cheat by flat lapping the bottom for a awesome finished look.
Yep. Looks like it.

I admit if I had a flat lap, I would probably feel the need to use it on the bottom of them every now and again a well.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-07, 5:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I just made my 2nd thimble and had problems with air bubbles.

I wanted to ask for advice - do you use stringers to wrap the thimble form or full sized rods?

Do you start from the bottom or top?

Thank you!
Old 2010-03-09, 6:44am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Totally Useless Critter Thimbles

Hey Everyone, can you please tell me which Bee you like best? WITH a nose or without?

I am wanting to make totally useless Thimbles with a Critter on top, and I can't decide on the Bees!

Old 2010-03-09, 9:08am
Lover of Life

Awesome thimbles here, everyone! I love what you all are doing with them to make them "useless" thimbles. I don't think they're useless... if they bring joy to those who look at them, they have a purpose, and serve it well!

Folly, I like the bee without the nose a little more, just cus the other looks a little like a bee-mouse hybrid. The perching birds are fabulous!

I don't know if you're still having bubble trouble, but it's prolly because of the mandrel not being quite hot enough. I roll mine around in the flame for quite awhile before adding glass, making sure that the entire mandrel has glowed a bit, and then keep the rest of it that hot as I begin to wind on the glass. Personally I use full rods to do this part.

Old 2010-03-09, 11:07am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for the counsel bexrox! I'm on a Hothead, and I think I may be starting to soon, as you suggest. I think your thimbles are fabulous by the way!

I plan to work up thimbles with some of my various critters on top... the Bee is a new creation. Now that I think of it, you are right about it looking like the mouse!

Does anyone want to say what their 3 favorite critters are so I can narrow what I make?

I got this thimble mandrel online at Arrow Springs and they just sent this link if you want to order online:
http://arrowsprings.com/html/mandrels_tubes.html

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-03-09 at 11:43am.