No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-14, 11:24am
Joy! Is a me.

Question Beads sticking in Press

I have searched the forums, but i am probably putting in the wrong search words!
I have a couple of older presses that i bought several years ago in the garage sale, nothing wrong with them, they are just my favorites and used all the time.

Now when I am pressing, my beads become stuck, especially in the upper portion, after i press, and yes, i have the perfect amount of glass. Of course they do come out, but there is that chance by that time they may have cooled to "crack". Is there something I can treat them with so they act like new and the beads don't stick?

Uh..perhaps give them a good good cleaning? They are zoozi presses. I don't seem to have a problem with the newer presses I have. I just don't want to mess them up!

It may be obvious, but sometimes the obvious is not so for some...like me!

Thanks so much in advance for any advice, help, words of wisdom.

Molly
Old 2013-09-14, 11:46am

Smile

Molly, I remember reading that if they are brass, then a drop of melted beeswax in the presses should keep the glass from sticking to the presses but I've never tried it, so someone else might have a better suggestion. Lydia
Old 2013-09-14, 12:26pm

What shape presses are giving you trouble?

--Helene
Old 2013-09-14, 1:43pm
Joy! Is a me.

Lydia, that's what I heard too somewhere, but i just wanted it reaffirmed.
I have some beeswax, so i may give it a shot, wont have anything to lose!
I am having trouble with my beloved nugget press. My favorite upon favorite!

Thanks for the responses i certainly appreciate it!

Molly
Old 2013-09-14, 1:53pm

Mine came with beeswax.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2013-09-14, 2:16pm

I don't recommend wax. Please email me so we can figure out what is going on. Amy. At. zooziis.com.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2013-09-14, 2:38pm
A True Woofer

If you have the perfect amount of glass and the press is a straight-sided shape, it will stick. I think that's normal. What you can do is make sure you reheat the bead when you do get it out to avoid cracking, or use a little less glass and it should release no problem.

Old 2013-09-14, 2:40pm
formerly Marella

That happens with my straight-sided button trio when I press the molten glass but if I'm patient and it cools just a little bit it releases no problem...then a little insurance warmth in the flame and into the kiln it goes.

I've not had one crack.

~
~
~
Old 2013-09-14, 3:09pm

Whoops! Sorry, Amy, I thought the beeswax was from you, but now I know it wasn't, thanks!

Barbara
Old 2013-09-14, 5:04pm
Joy! Is a me.

Huh! Well it sounds maybe its a normal thing... I haven't done anything yet to my press, it just seems it is happening more and more

I use this press more than most and as far as the amount of glass i am using, i am probably right on the money 97% of the time. And it does come loose, but sometimes much coaxing is involved.

I was hoping there was some magic trick you wonderful peeps may have had up your sleeve...

It always amazes me how wonderful everyone on LE is in helping out.

Thanks so much

M
Old 2013-09-14, 5:15pm
addicted to dichro

It couldn't be that the press is heating up so hot that the metal gets so hot that the glass sticks? the same way a metal pick tool can stick if it gets too hot? Is it happening after you've recently used the press quite a lot? It's hard to imagine that metal that thick could get hot enough to do that, but that's my only idea.

Old 2013-09-14, 6:28pm
Joy! Is a me.

Oh hey! That is a wonderful thought, i like that a lot. It makes tons of sense,to my practical mind.

I will certainly pay attention exactly when it happens!

thanks Mandy!

M
Old 2013-09-14, 6:49pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
If you have the perfect amount of glass and the press is a straight-sided shape, it will stick. I think that's normal. What you can do is make sure you reheat the bead when you do get it out to avoid cracking, or use a little less glass and it should release no problem.
This. If is "sticks" then it means you have absolutely the correct amount of glass. I remember the first time it happened I freaked. And then I realized it was a sign that I was getting the perfect amount. It won't crack, just give it a little jiggle to remove and then insurance heat before popping it in the kiln.

~

Old 2013-09-14, 6:50pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillianbeads View Post
That happens with my straight-sided button trio when I press the molten glass but if I'm patient and it cools just a little bit it releases no problem...then a little insurance warmth in the flame and into the kiln it goes.

I've not had one crack.
Yup, lol. Should have read the rest of the posts

~

Old 2013-09-14, 10:04pm
Ad astra per aspera

One thing that might be happening is that you have slightly bent mandrels. They can wedge themselves in the channels.

If that's not the case you might try a very gentle scrub with some fine steel wool.

Old 2013-09-14, 10:45pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooziis View Post
I don't recommend wax. Please email me so we can figure out what is going on. Amy. At. zooziis.com.
Can I ask why?
Old 2013-09-14, 11:40pm

I too would like to know why an itty bitty amount of wax should not be used with brass. I've read that several times but realize it was probably on this website??? Please clarify Zooziis if you would. Thank you for your expertise.
Old 2013-09-15, 5:52am
Joy! Is a me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
This. If is "sticks" then it means you have absolutely the correct amount of glass. I remember the first time it happened I freaked. And then I realized it was a sign that I was getting the perfect amount. It won't crack, just give it a little jiggle to remove and then insurance heat before popping it in the kiln.
I love hearing I have the perfect amount of glass! LOL

Of course I already do all the suggestions, (wiggle, remove, reheat, etc) I thought there was something i could be doing in addition physically to my press. Since now i sound normal (at least for this situation ) i can start worrying about something else!

M
Old 2013-09-15, 6:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by marla0416 View Post
I too would like to know why an itty bitty amount of wax should not be used with brass. I've read that several times but realize it was probably on this website??? Please clarify Zooziis if you would. Thank you for your expertise.
I'd love to know too.

Perlene is the one that recommends the use of a little bit of beewax. At least with his brass roller style shapers. Not sure about his presses ... haven't purchased any of those.

I have a HUGE chunk of beewax that I bought ... so if anyone wants some I have plenty to share.

It does flare up if you get to much, but it makes the studio smell wonderful!!