No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-02, 1:30pm
Angie09

Default Need help please with my new bluebird xl

I have had a paragon SC2 for 3 years and I've just upgraded to the Bluebird XL but have a question. I garage at 920 and now on the Bluebird when I open the door to quickly put a completed bead in, the temperature can go down as much as 30 degrees. Is this normal? Is it ok for the beads? Should I raise my garaging temp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2013-04-02, 1:47pm
...displaced ocean lover

I've never garaged that low but maybe we are using different glass. At any rate, I have that kiln and mine will lose heat quickly when I open the door, too. But since I'm at least at 950 depending on what I am doing, it never drops too low. Frankly, I can't imagine that the entire kiln just dropped in temp but just that area by the door. I could be wrong about that. My beads are fine though.

There's a thread on here about stress levels/temp for the beads. And most of the glass sites have something about annealing temps. Maybe check for that info. I'm just mostly sayin' "Yeah, mine too...good luck"!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2013-04-02, 2:13pm

Try using the door furthest away from the probe and see if that changes the drop in temp. That does seem pretty steep. I would call Paragon and ask them about it. I have one, but I have not used it in a while, but don't remember losing that much heat in just the few seconds to shove in a bead.
Old 2013-04-02, 2:44pm
Angie09

I may be garaging too low so if I bump it to 950 and it drops it would still be in the range of the 920. I needed more room than the Sc2 gave me......sure hope I didn't make another buying mistake. Ugh!
Old 2013-04-02, 7:01pm
Dix Harrison

Angie:

I used an oven thermometer to check my Bluebird XL and found out the same thing. If you would like to know more about how I adapted my annealing schedule, I'd be happy to share.

Just send me a pm and I'll write it down for you!

Dix
Old 2013-04-02, 8:20pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I have a Bluebird double door and I garage at 930. It does go down quite a bit, but I've never had a problem with the beads.

Old 2013-04-02, 9:28pm
Lampworkaholic!

Mine has dropped as much as 100 degrees if I am moving the beads around. It hasn't been a problem and I garage at 920.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-03, 3:20am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
I have a Bluebird double door and I garage at 930. It does go down quite a bit, but I've never had a problem with the beads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Mine has dropped as much as 100 degrees if I am moving the beads around. It hasn't been a problem and I garage at 920.
Same, I've never had an issue, I use the left door

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-04-03, 4:13am
Angie09

Well, I'm feeling a little better about it now then. I thought I made a huge mistake by buying it cuz the smaller SC2 never seemed to do this.....but if that's normal I'll breathe easier today using it. Thank you all for your comments ... it really helps!!
Old 2013-04-03, 6:13am
Lampworkaholic!

I also bolted the 2 doors together. I needed 3 hands to manage the double doors.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-03, 6:22am

when i use my xl, i'm usually making pipes and such out of boro....lots of garaging and what not. yes it goes down in temp sometimes 40 degrees but so far nothing has been worse for the wear.
soft glass i imagine might be different, but when i use soft glass one of the doors is always cracked (mandrels sticking out) so the elements just have to work a little harder.
Old 2013-04-03, 2:43pm
hyperT

Default Stress

Would depend on the COE and the strain point of that glass. If you are always above the stress point what could happen?
Old 2013-04-03, 2:52pm

Quote:
I also bolted the 2 doors together. I needed 3 hands to manage the double doors.
I stuck flat round magnets on the upper portion of mine, where the door corners would be. I flip the door up, it sticks to a magnet until I flip it back down.
Old 2013-04-04, 2:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I stuck flat round magnets on the upper portion of mine, where the door corners would be. I flip the door up, it sticks to a magnet until I flip it back down.
Good idea!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-04-04, 2:36am

isn't that how paragon sells them now? my xl came with neodyium (sp?) magnets for the doors. maybe the older ones come w/o magnets.
btw if anybody wants a couple strong rare-earth magnets for their kiln doors just pm me. you pay for shipping the magnets are free....
Old 2013-04-04, 4:24am
Angie09

Yes, mine came with the magnets to keep the doors open.
Old 2013-04-04, 6:52am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Would depend on the COE and the strain point of that glass. If you are always above the stress point what could happen?
Even if the kiln temperature drops below the strain point (840 F) briefly, the beads won't cool that fast. As soon as the doors close the temperature zooms back up.

Old 2013-04-04, 6:55am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I wouldn't want to open the doors that wide - unless I was cleaning or kiln-washing a cold kiln - lol!

I open the door as little as possible to put a bead on the rack, or to move a bead over when the rack is full.

Mine came with magnets but they aren't strong enough to hold up the doors anyway......

Old 2013-04-04, 9:46am
Now part of the Dark Side

This is a lesson in thermal mass. The thermocouple probe is low mass, so is the air. As soon as you open the door the hot air rushes out of the kiln. The probe being low mass cools almost as fast as the air so you are seeing the change in air temperature. The bricks, and the glass, have a much higher thermal mass and store the heat. When you close the door you can watch the temperature rise, even if the elements are off. This is because of the heat stored in the kiln. You could slow down the reaction time of the thermocouple by adding a small bolt and nut to it however, this may affect the overall performance of the kiln.

ETA: Yes I am a geek.
Old 2013-04-04, 11:35am

Quote:
I wouldn't want to open the doors that wide - unless I was cleaning or kiln-washing a cold kiln - lol!

I open the door as little as possible to put a bead on the rack, or to move a bead over when the rack is full.

Mine came with magnets but they aren't strong enough to hold up the doors anyway......
I don't do that for every bead. Just when I want the door open and my hands free.