LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-12, 11:01am
...displaced ocean lover

Default What is your favorite heart press???

I need your help to find the right press. I don't actually KNOW all of the presses available so I thought I'd ask you all.

First let me say that I know how to make hearts without a press...but I'd like a press so I can make them faster AND more consistent in size.

I'm looking for a puffy or 3D kind of heart. Really, the one I love is the Carlo Dona heart press. But sheesh, I just don't want to fork out that kind of $$. http://www.spiralarts.com/products/p...ESS-65p402.htm
Plus the size I want is never in stock.

So is there a similar one for less???

For example:
This one is a little wide in the shoulders for my taste. But it's a cute heart and maybe it would work but it seems like it might be difficult to fill.
http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product...roducts_id=413

I like this one but it's not quite as "shapey" as the Carlo Dona one.
http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product...roducts_id=335

I love both Cattwalk and Zoozii presses and looked there first of course.
The Cattwalk ones are too V shaped for what I'm wanting. And Zoozii ones are too flat or the mandrel runs the wrong way.

Do you guys have a favorite heart press? (no fair bragging if you own the Carlo Dona tool! )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-11-12, 1:05pm
...displaced ocean lover

I guess it is possible no one uses a press...
and after looking at Kerri's bead again I wonder if maybe this one will work??
http://www.zooziis.com/sweetheartxl.aspx

Has anyone used this one ??? Or one similar?? Puffy-er???

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 1:17pm

Hi!
I like the second one the best, but if you like puffy, go for the third one. I've never owned a press like the first one. Well, I do, but it's a small rose...it's cute, but just so-so.
The 4th one is cute, but it looks like it's gonna be a flat heart.
I should buy a heart press, it takes me forever to shape one by hand.

Old 2012-11-12, 1:28pm

I don't have a heart press, but I do have the skull press by Bavarian beads and love it.

Old 2012-11-12, 1:32pm
...displaced ocean lover

Patti, that's it EXACTLY! I'm slow at getting the shape of the heart just so. That's why I want/need a press.

I wonder if I could add glass to the flat on to make it a bit puffy? Of course, that means shaping by hand which is what I'm trying to avoid....errrrrr

Autumn, did it take very long to get your press from Germany?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 1:40pm

Bavarian beads is german so a dutch supplier isn"t a problem i think. have you seen these?
Beadpress:
http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinke...4b30650334bdc5

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2012-11-12, 1:45pm
...displaced ocean lover

THAT!!!!! That's what I'm looking for....now who translates for me?????

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 1:54pm
...displaced ocean lover

OMG! I want them all!!!!

Has anyone used these?? Show and tell pls!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 2:21pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I want them all too lol

Just look at the top right hand corner and click on the US flag for translation. Thanks for tempting me haha

Old 2012-11-12, 2:41pm

I have the puffy twin heart 32mm from bead press.nl Awesome press.
Janet
Old 2012-11-12, 2:49pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh boy! It's good to have friends who can help me decide!!

How about these?
http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinke...4b30650334bdc5

not too big and not too small....

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 3:09pm

I have both the puffy ( almost wrote fluffy) trio. That lush one looks nice. In my experience the ones i have use less glass than i think they do andsomehow that won.t stick in my mind.the point of the hearts are thinner than they look

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:

Last edited by Daphnevz; 2012-11-12 at 3:12pm. Reason: Correcting my spelling and grammar
Old 2012-11-12, 3:15pm
Companion

I have this one in XL: http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product...roducts_id=337

It's a gorgeous shape and sells very well. Makes wonderful pendants!
Attached Images

Don't you cry no more
Old 2012-11-12, 3:16pm
...displaced ocean lover

Daphne, I was wondering if the puffy ones too a huge amount of glass or now. That's why I was leaning now toward the lush...grrrr...I'm back to wanting them all!!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 3:18pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh Steffi!!! Wow!!! I love them, especially the one you are holding! What pretty colors!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-12, 3:24pm
Companion

Thanks

The shiny one has several silver glasses over kugler silver brown. Swirled and reduced.
Don't you cry no more
Old 2012-11-12, 3:44pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Ooh, I like the shape of the Bavarian ones. How in the world will I ever get one?!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-12, 3:46pm
Companion

Write a mail to Manuela, she's a very nice person. I'm sure you can find a solution
Don't you cry no more
Old 2012-11-12, 4:21pm

http://juliefountain.blogspot.co.uk/...-of-glass.html

Julie does some fab heart beads, she wrote a blog page that shows lots of heart presses and the beads they made, take time to read her blog loads of great info can be found also there is a heart tutorial that I really need to try.
Personally I have 2 favourite heart presses http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product...roducts_id=337 and D in Julie's blog which is no longer available

http://juliefountain.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by CoastalBeads; 2012-11-12 at 4:23pm.
Old 2012-11-12, 4:24pm
Melody of Glass

Great thread! I'm not a heart sort of person but my dog walker is interested in having me make heart beads for her clients who have lost dogs. I'm liking the shape of the Bavarian one. I wonder if it's cheaper for all of us who want presses to order together to get them to this side of the pond.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-12, 7:23pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Great thread! I'm not a heart sort of person but my dog walker is interested in having me make heart beads for her clients who have lost dogs. I'm liking the shape of the Bavarian one. I wonder if it's cheaper for all of us who want presses to order together to get them to this side of the pond.
If anyone decides to do this, I know I would be interested.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-11-12, 8:27pm

There was a previous bulk buy from Bavarian Bead press. Perhaps someone will decide to try it again (I'm not volunteering, LOL)
Old 2012-11-12, 9:18pm
offically down under

Corina posted this yesterday on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHxjq...=results_video

Old 2012-11-12, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffi View Post
Write a mail to Manuela, she's a very nice person. I'm sure you can find a solution
No, I meant I have no money!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-12, 9:29pm

Wow, already 200-something views. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Corina posted this yesterday on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHxjq...=results_video

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-13, 1:58am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
THAT!!!!! That's what I'm looking for....now who translates for me?????

If you need help translating a bit on her website, drop me a pm and I'll translate it for you

Old 2012-11-13, 5:06am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
If you need help translating a bit on her website, drop me a pm and I'll translate it for you
Thank you! I wrote her a note in the place she provides and then thought, "Wow, why do I always assume people speak English"?

So thanks! I may take you up on that as I wanted to see if she could make the mandrel holes a bit larger. You're the best Suzanne!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-13, 5:23am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Great thread! I'm not a heart sort of person but my dog walker is interested in having me make heart beads for her clients who have lost dogs. I'm liking the shape of the Bavarian one.
Oh, that is sad and sweet. But it brings up the point that customers want, for various reasons, the heart shaped beads.

I like the heart shape to decorate with scrolls and vines but I never considered myself a "heart person" either. And I never made a red heart...that is until I discovered the most beautiful red from Lauscha ... yum!

I made 5 hearts (which is a LOT of ANYthing for me) out of the Lauscha red and decorated them with SIS vines and maybe a murrini here or there. I'm not sure if it was the color or the shape but they ALL sold at BeadFest. (My first "real" show!)

My point to all that is, at least for me, hearts take too long to shape by hand. Maybe I work too slow or maybe I'm too particular about the shape. At any rate, to get them quicker and a nice, consistent shape I need a press. (presses?????)

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-13, 6:01am
...displaced ocean lover

Karen, thanks!!! I looked and looked at her blog yesterday but never found the part about the hearts. Of course, I never got to 2010! LOL

I want the ones that aren't available.

Lyssa, you live in Hawaii....you aren't allowed to whine.

Oh and that video that Corina posted only makes me want a press more.
Like I said at the beginning ....I do know how to make a heart without a press. But you see it took her almost seven minutes to make a teeeeeny-weeeeny heart. I make them much larger and it seems like it takes for-ev-errrrrrrr.

If I work on something for too long, it usually ends up having a face. Hey...if I made a scary face on a heart could I call it "heart attack"?? I had a hollow heart with a hole in the side that I called "heart murmur"......

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-13, 8:58am

FYI, if you are looking for a Carlo Dona heart press there is one on eBay right now for $139. I happen to see it and hope someone from LE can grab it . Search on Carlo Dona.

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)

Tags
heart presses, hearts