No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-03, 7:19pm
bryntaran

Question Question on selling/pricing glass

Not sure where to post this, but know LEers are always there to help.

I have been doing boro for about 3 years now. I started with 104 and thought I might get back to it, but it just isn't happening.
I happen to be in a class right now (open studio) and there is someone who is just getting into soft glass and is interested in buying some of/all of my glass.
The problem is that I have a lot of Messy glass and Effetre, but mostly in 1/4 to 1/2 lb. batches. Also frits. I have no idea what to charge. Do I weigh each color and how do I decide what to charge. Do I charge by looking at current prices and charge that or is there just some kind of formula to average out different glass prices and give one price per pound, per five pounds? I know what I paid for the frits and have not even used some and others have hardly been used. Do I charge $5 or something less than the sale price from where I got it? I'd like to get my money out of this, as you know it is a large investment, but at the same time would love her to take most of it and I won't have shipping and handling costs to deal with.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me, obviously I haven't a clue how to go about this. There is also an amazing workshop coming up this summer that I would love to take and this money would make it happen.

Thanks again, Judy
Old 2016-02-03, 8:14pm
Loving learning

From what I have seen, people mostly check current prices, and then discount a little at least. But really, it is up to you.
Old 2016-02-03, 8:18pm

Since you can deliver it in person, no shipping charges already discounts it for your buyer. I would look up current prices.
Old 2016-02-03, 10:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

You won't really have to pack any of it either, so bonus for you too!

I wouldn't bother pricing individually unless they are rare or speciality glass, such as silver glass. I would probably average for the frit too. I suppose the best price is one you are both happy with.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-03, 11:33pm
Phill

That's going to be a "go with your gut" thing I'm afraid.

Look up the prices on any of the larger quantities to get feel for where current numbers are and weight most of it so you don't shoot yourself in the foot with under estimating how much you are thinking of off loading.

Then write down a number and sleep on it for a day or two.

If it still feels go, do it.
If it doesn't then you will want rethink the actual details and do the long math homework and go with the numbers that that gives you.

You will sleep better months from now knowing you did the due diligence and did not take advantage of a friend but did not throw away an investment either.
Old 2016-02-04, 8:51am
Loving learning

And how much glass are you talking about? Five pounds, or 50 pounds, or more?
Old 2016-02-04, 9:12am
bryntaran

Maybe closer to 50 lbs? I really have to get on this, tonight I should have more time to actually work it out. The person who wants to buy it all said she will prob buy it in a couple of pounds at a time, not sure if she knows what she means. Just getting into lamp work and has the money to get what ever she needs.
Thank you all for your great input as I haven't a clue how to go about this (as you can obviously tell).
Old 2016-02-04, 10:13am

I would not piece it out to one person over a long period of time if it were me. I'd price it by the lb, sell to her in increments of 1/4 lbs, and then sell the rest to whomever wants to buy it at your price. Per rod pricing - you can check Howaco for that. That's the only place I know of that sells by the rod.

Or just price a sample pack to her at a per lb price that feels good to you.
Old 2016-02-04, 4:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

Make a list. Post it here. We should be able to ID any out of production, rare colors, etc.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2016-02-04, 5:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Make a list. Post it here. We should be able to ID any out of production, rare colors, etc.
this^