Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-04-18, 3:41pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

YIPPEEEE!!! Got a phone call from Metal Supermarkets this afternoon - they got the steel in this morning, cut and bent it, and we picked it up this afternoon! I have to go to w**k again tomorrow, but Friday I'll scrub the oil off it, prime it, spray it with a couple coats of black BBQ paint and we'll get it installed Saturday. That's the last major piece of the project on hand now! Friday I'll finish the last of the painting, clean up, and start installing stuff. Saturday we'll finish the last 2 bits of paneling, install the torch bench top / back wall, and it's distinctly possible that I could actually be working out there Sunday or Monday!

CO2 alarm & fire extinguisher will move out there when the torch does, trust me. I'm very safety oriented - I just refuse to make it unnecessarily ugly. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-18, 4:53pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Picture would have been nice..

L-111

Old 2012-04-18, 5:43pm

super, super loving watching it come together!!
Old 2012-04-18, 7:49pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
It's HERE! Well, actually it's at the dealer - because it arrived 3 weeks early and I don't have the building permit yet! (Leaving work early Monday to take care of THAT little detail!)
I'm jealous and sad at the same time. I had one of these built in my back yard a few years ago and it would be perfect for a glass shedio. We're moving in 2 weeks and there's no way to get it moved to the new house so I have to leave it behind.

The only upside is I'm selling the house to my sister so I can at least still store stuff in it for a while!

-BEP
Old 2012-04-18, 11:08pm
i'm not dave

congrats! i LOVE that blue paint effect. looks smashing!
Old 2012-04-20, 8:15am

Pat it's looking great.

Some day .........

Old 2012-04-20, 5:37pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Almost there! I got all the trim painting done, put 4 coats of polyurethane on the workbench, primed and painted the torch table and some more storage pieces, and installed some assorted hardware. When DH got home from work we installed the steel torch bench top and back wall. I brought in my little drafting table and a bookcase, and spraypainted the cart I was planning to use for my kiln. Tomorrow we will pick up the last sheet of paneling that we need to finish up, and the hardware and lumber we need to finish the hatch to the lofts.

And please note - I installed a fire extinguisher, and as suggested in some thread I read on this forum, it's at eye level on the frame of my primary exit door. I do intend to install a second one near the second door, once we're done with the paneling.

We hope to have all the construction done tomorrow morning, and my goal is to torch in there Sunday. It's almost DONE!

L-111

Old 2012-04-20, 6:06pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Pat, that's bloody awesome! I can't wait to see your glass stash all set up - it's not finished unless you can see it all!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-20, 8:08pm
Loving learning

Almost there, pretty soon it will be hook up the torch & light it time!
Old 2012-04-21, 12:56am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'm giddy with desire to get in there and actually WORK - want to know something funny, though? I'm actually starting to feel performance pressure, like, I'm going to have this FANTASTIC space, I'd better damn well produce some fantastic work in it.

Once I get done with the build, I'm betting it'll take me 2 weeks to get fully moved in - I still haven't got all my jewelry supplies into the big blue tower, and the glass is going to be painfully slow - I want to enter it all into StashMaster & print labels as I go, since I KNOW once it's out there it won't get done.

I have incentive to get torching, though - not only am I getting the DTs, I broke down and bought Amy's Storm tutorial - DYING to try it, but absolutely had to wait for better ventilation.

Meanwhile, I'm wide awake at 3am because I have to do ebay sewing & shipping before we can head out to Lowes & Harbor Freight and oh yeah the fabric store. Probably should buy groceries, too... the food elves don't seem to be delivering lately...

L-111

Old 2012-04-21, 4:20am

Looking really great!
Old 2012-04-21, 4:09pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

It SNOWED in my studio today!

Yes, we cut the fence rail for my glass storage - messy, but honestly not as bad as I expected. Tomorrow I need to clean it - it's full of crumbs of PVC - and glue it together, then I can start moving glass in.

We picked up the last of the lumber today, and got all the paneling finished. All that's left construction-wise is putting the loft hatches in, probably tomorrow. Otherwise, I've got some touchup painting and trim stuff to do, and some cleanup, but otherwise it's move in and get organized!

And on THAT note - my Husband was really uncomfortable with my plan to use my old beat up utility cart to house my kiln. I needed it to rest on something with wheels, so I could get it out of the way when I have someone on the second torch, so I scrubbed off the rust, painted it a happy green, and called it done. But DH was really stressed about having my kiln on something so battered and (in his opinion) wobbly.

I found a replacement online at Harbor Freight for $69, slightly nicer cart - a second shelf underneath, but when we go to the store it worked out even better. The cart I went there to buy was on sale for $49! So we put it in the cart, and wandered around to see what else was available - and then we found THIS!

It was on sale for $149 - but there was a coupon sale, and it was only $99! So not only do I have a super sturdy, heavy duty cart, it's got 4 drawers and a bottom shelf! We had to disable the lid-lock, so I can get into the drawers when the kiln is sitting on top, but once we did that it's the perfect cart for my purposes.

So stay tuned - tomorrow should be The Day, it should finally be DONE!

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-04-22 at 3:51am.
Old 2012-04-21, 4:24pm
Loving learning

That does look like a great piece for your building, good find!
Old 2012-04-21, 4:26pm
Loving learning

PS. You're braver than me, we do the cutting outside, LOL.
I finished cleaning my new stuff this morning (drying it where I'd hit the bits out with the hose yesterday) and putting it in my building. Be aware that from what I can see you will never have enough bins for the glass. I've added and added, and it's pretty much full (I had some doubled up till today).
Old 2012-04-21, 4:49pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

It was raining. Plus I'd rather sweep up the pvc crumbs and throw them out than have to look at them outside forever!

My plan is to continue to keep a lot of my glass in the drawers of my big tool chest. First, there's absolutely no reason to have 20 pounds of Gold Melon Pink at my fingertips, after all! I also plan to keep the "special" (read "expensive") stuff - my growing collection of Double Helix, for example - safely in a drawer so I can't use it unintentionally.

My intention is to TRY to ID all of my random unlabled glass, and get it all into StashMaster before it migrates to the shedio. I figure it's going to take me a couple of weeks before it's all out there, but it'll be so worth it to finally be organized!

L-111

Old 2012-04-21, 5:49pm
Loving learning

Excellent plan about the glass. Not that I have Gold Melon Pink, let alone 20 pounds of anything to know 1st hand, LOL, I have 1/4 pound batches of a bunch of colors, many of them I've not even tried yet. I'm working on a way to force myself out of my rut to change that soon.
Oh, and you can chose what you label in what order so you can do a little torching with those you've labeled if you choose (or not if you think it will tempt you to play instead of work in the rest.) Stashmaster would make it so much easier, I sit & hand write labels because I don't have the software to make it work at this point.
Old 2012-04-21, 8:25pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Most word processing programs have a label printing function. I use Avery return address labels or the office depot equal and winword to do labels. Copy and paste works to cut down the typing. No rod gets in the studio without a label; wish I had started doing it when I was doing soft glass
Old 2012-04-22, 7:57am

Where did you find the gold melon pink?

Old 2012-04-25, 10:55pm
Salt Box Beads

You are doing a great job and safety first is music to my ears!. It is so exciting...
Old 2012-04-26, 7:50pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Autumn - I bought the Gold Melon Pink on eBay, in several batches.

I told the folks on the Newbie thread, I finally got to torch in the new space Monday and Tuesday. Much to my infinite delight, it looks like I got it all right - the bench height is incredibly comfortable for me, and the FAN! The FAN is excellent!

So far I've only found 3 things we need to tweak.

1) I need to move the light on the torch end to the other side of that joist, it's just a little too bright for me to see the flame as clearly as I'd like.

2) We're going to add a couple of 12v lights so that if I'm just going to work on jewelry and don't need the fan or kiln I don't have to run the generator.

3) I need some sort of a landing for each door - a slab of stone, some patio block, something to cut down on the amount of mud I'm tracking in.

Had to go to w**k a couple of days, so things have been at a standstill, but tomorrow I'm going to hit it hard, and hopefully have everything done & cleaned up for photos tomorrow, except for moving out the jewelry components - I suspect that's going to take me weeks.

L-111

Old 2012-04-27, 9:51am
Curmudgeon Engineering

CONGRATS....job well done!
Old 2012-04-27, 6:46pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Okay, I'm going to be moving stuff in for at least another couple of weeks - and may I just say that right this minute I feel like I'm trapped in an old George Carlin bit, because my stuff is DEFINITELY in too many places - but I'm getting there, and I know folks are hankering for pictures, so I grabbed a couple this afternoon.

Okay, first, the torch bench:

And a different angle, giving a little better view of the glass storage in the corner.

The other end of the workbench that begins by the glass storage.

I didn't bother with pictures of the other corner yet - the bookshelf and drafting table are piled high with tools, paint, and assorted construction debris. Soon I'll get that cleared away, and the jewelry components and more of my art supplies moved out, and we'll be fully functional.

Just need a little help from Mother Nature - today was 39 degrees, with sustained 25 mph winds, and I just couldn't bring myself to make too many trips out there. Especially given that I think I'm fighting off pneumonia... plus I'm unexpectedly babysitting the Grandpuppy, and there's already too much glass splinters on the floor out there to bring the dog in@

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-04-27 at 6:49pm.
Old 2012-04-27, 7:04pm

WOW Pat! Can I be you when I grow up? You are so organized!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-27, 7:55pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

ROTFL - anyone who knows me would be choking... I aspire to organized... hopefully this space will permit me to actually get there.

L-111

Old 2012-04-27, 8:46pm

Pat , it's wonderful , what a great job..love the colors.. where are you in upstate NY, I'm in NY and wondering how close we are?
Old 2012-04-28, 4:21am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Capital district, outside of Albany

L-111

Old 2012-04-28, 12:24pm

LOL Pat - Well we can always dream!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-30, 9:54am
shirts

WOW!! And now can you come up to MY place and work the same magic?? Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 2012-04-30, 11:00am
Salt Box Beads

Pat, it must have been kismet that I posted about the tower!!! The universal powers that be wanted you to have that. It fits perfectly for you in that space.

Great job and now lets see the beads...

I also love the measuring sticks on the front of the bench, I will definitely steal that idea from you.

Thanks for the pictures. I am so ready to start doing my shed and your pics have kept my sanity while I wait for DH to frame up the corners inside my shed.

Thank you for my sanity ((()))

Are you going to hang out a shingle? I think I will make a colorful mosaic sign for the front.
Take Care and have fun in your new studio.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-04-30 at 11:04am.
Old 2012-04-30, 8:45pm

Pat: Around the Binghamton area, so we're not that far apart.