LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-09, 6:36pm

Default Oxygen concentrator in mid South Carolina?

Has anyone used an oxygen concentrator in mid South Carolina? Someone who rents these for medical use told me that our humidity is too high and they don't work well here. I would like to try one, but I don't know if it
is worth the cost if it doesn't work well here.
Thanks, Lulie
Old 2007-07-09, 6:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

well, I'm in mid north carolina and they work fine here. Probably not as well as they could, but more than good enough to run my torch. I torch in my garage too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-09, 11:01pm
<--- Time traveler

I'm in Rock Hill and mine work fine. If you're in Columbia you'll definitely have more humidity, but I think you'll be okay. It may be that your concentrators (and mine) will not die of old age but will instead drown one day, but you can make a lot of beads until then!
Old 2007-07-10, 4:02am

I'm in Charleston and use a concentrator. I keep it in another room that is air conditioned and run a long (about 30 ft) hose out to my torch.
Old 2007-07-10, 6:51am

In Richmond, we often have 90 % humidity and mine works fine. I have a 10 lpm integra.

Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-07-10, 12:30pm
PyronamixK

If you can run it from a climate controlled room, that would be ideal. But, you should be able to run it as long as it is protected from the elements. Can you run a dehumidifier in the same room?
Old 2007-07-10, 12:50pm

my wife runs one in Waynesboro, Ga. near Augusta, Ga. and it's about the same humidity I'm sure....works fine in a garage environment.
Old 2007-07-10, 12:55pm
Butterfly Rancher

I'm in North Central Florida -- it's tough to beat our swampy humidity! I did find a considerable difference in performance from high humidity months to low humidity months. My oxycon also came with a note about not running it above 90 degrees. A few months ago, when the humidity and temps started building, I went and got a much longer O2 hose and moved the oxycon inside (I'm still in the garage) and the performance is significantly better.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-07-10, 5:44pm

Thanks for the info. I am in Summerton, SC about 65 mi. below Columbia, and I am in the backyard in a room off my dh's wood workshop. His room is airconditioned, but mine is not, but I open the door to his room so it cools off a little. I might have a problem with this since I pull the air out through an open window with a fan, but I may try it anyway.
Old 2007-07-10, 6:56pm

Maybe put the concentrator in the air conditioned room? Or maybe im reading what you said wrong

Old 2007-07-11, 7:11am

Nope, you read it right! That is a wonderful idea. His room is 3 steps down from mine. Would that matter? Should I put it up higher?
Old 2007-07-11, 9:23am
ManBearPig

The height of the concentrator in relation to the torch isn't a concern. I do, however, recommend that you use no more than 25 feet of hose to connect the concentrator to the hose. With tanked oxygen there is unlimited pressure, so extra lengths of hose aren't a big deal. With concentrators, which have limited pressure, any more than 25 feet of hose and there is a noticeable pressure drop.