No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-09, 8:27am
"WOO HOO What a Ride"

Default Adding CZs to beads

I tried to add 3 CZs to a bead and the czs cracked and the bead cracked after it was cooled.

Any advice? What did I do wrong?
I did put the czs into the flame but it was the only way I could see to properly adhere them to the bead....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-09, 2:06pm
FireBeads

I believe you need to use CZ's that are cast in place (not sure what that means) and you don't want to use them much larger than 2mm. Heat the glass and poke a "setting" where you want the cz. Or heat the glass, place the cz on a marver upside down and press the cz into the bead.
Old 2007-07-09, 2:35pm

You also have to make sure that what you are using are real CZs.

Here is a 6mm one in a marble:

Steve

Old 2007-07-09, 3:33pm

Steve, awesome marble!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-07-09, 3:46pm
sunscreen me baby

Too many questions for you...

what size were the cz's?
were they cast in place cz's?
what glass did you use?
how did you apply them?

~

Old 2007-07-10, 12:54pm
"WOO HOO What a Ride"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Too many questions for you...

what size were the cz's?
were they cast in place cz's?
what glass did you use?
how did you apply them?
Hi Suzy...you helped me out with some questions last week too. Thanks again.

The cz's were 4 or 6 mm.
I don't know what cast in place means. They did not have any type of backing if that is the question. Just the cz standing alone.

I believe I used Morretti. I only use soda lime. But I do have a supply of various manufacturers.

I heated the glass, flashed the cz in and out of the flame, heated the glass again and then applied the cz. It didn't set as nicely as I had hoped so I heated the the glass and cz after the cz was applied to the glass.

Old 2007-07-10, 4:42pm
sunscreen me baby

I'm betting it was the size. I have used 4mm before and had cracking. Try 1.5 or 2mm. They do look really tiny but the sparkle is still big

Cast in place means you can heat them enough to cast them in metal. No backing or any special look, just that they are able to withstand heat. I have never had a cz crack, even the big suckers I tried (4mm that is, lol).

I heat the snot out of my cz's so you don't need to baby them. PM me your address and I'll send you off some that are cast in place. Then you will know for sure they are the right ones.

Do you know how to glue them to the end of a mandrel so you can get them in the right spot easily?

~