No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-02, 8:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
Thank you. He suggested a Smith bunson burner control valve regulator....Malcolm said pricewise it's 6 of 1 half dozen of another price wise.

He also did mention the steak saver, said it's up to me. I don't know how much pressure I want or need, how do I find that out?

thanks

namaste
Rowyn
I have never used the Mini CC so I dont know. I run about 5 psi propane and 25 psi oxygen on my mirage and that works for me. I would start with the manufacturers suggestions and experiment from there. If you go with the pancake your stuck at one value so you really cant experiment and learn by adjusting it and it might not work for other torches if you decide to upgrade later.
Old 2012-03-03, 6:30pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I got the smith regulator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1232wt_1163

now I just need hoses, I have 25ft hoses but I only need 8 ft, possibly 4 ft but I'd rather have them a little longer than too short.

namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-04, 10:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
No sure what the adjustable regulator From Malcolm is....
My point was that she has choices. The Steak Saver and a pancake regulator will indeed work fine. And, if she wanted to be able to regulate the pressure, there were other other options (besides a large regulator and the Steak Saver).

One option is made by Smith (a reputable regulator manufacturer). It's probably a little pricey, but I'm sure the quality is good.

Another option is this one ... currently on eBay ... It's about the same price of a Steak Saver and a pancake regulator.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-03-04, 11:17am
Triumphantly Knit!

ut oh, got the bottom one. Malcolm would it be better for me to find the Smith's one, I didn't read thoroughly I thought the bunsen burner one was a smith's cause that's what I searched for.

How do I know if I want it set on low, med, or Hi?

thank you so much, again,

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2012-03-04, 11:20am
Triumphantly Knit!

Malcolm, I don't seem to be able to find one like you show online, where did you find it please?

angel blessings
Rowyn

Old 2012-03-05, 9:43am

Quote:
Malcolm, I don't seem to be able to find one like you show online, where did you find it please?
http://www.littletorch.com/regulators.html

Quote:
ut oh, got the bottom one. Malcolm would it be better for me to find the Smith's one, I didn't read thoroughly I thought the bunsen burner one was a smith's cause that's what I searched for.

How do I know if I want it set on low, med, or Hi?
Since you've already bought this one, why not just try it?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-03-05, 10:50am

FWIW, I run a 1# bottle with my Knight Bullet. The regulator is a welding style that's been repurposed by changing the inlet fitting to a tank adapter so the whole mess screws right onto the 1# bottle.

1# bottles are 4 for $12 here, so $3 each. I figure a 1# bottle is about 2-3X more gas than I need to match 1 fill of a B sized oxygen tank. In any case, the cost of propane is negligible compared to the cost of oxygen, and the whole setup about matches my 1-2 hour working sessions. If I stumble onto an oxycon cheap I may try it, but it would take at least a couple to support the outer fire of the torch.

I've only frozen a propane tank once, in the middle of the winter (no heat in the garage), as it was nearing empty. It's normally not an issue for me. This is pure speculation but I suspect physically large regulators may be less prone to pressure fluctuations than small ones. I run 8 PSI and it doesn't seem to matter if the 1# bottle is covered with frost or not; the output pressure stays at 8 and the torch works fine.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2012-03-05, 11:36am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
http://www.littletorch.com/regulators.html

Since you've already bought this one, why not just try it?

Malcolm
I will, thanks Malcolm, and thank you for the info Conrad, that's encouraging.

Now, Once I have everything hooked up and I'm ready to go. I turn the ox con on and the propane on. then I turn the propane knob on the torch on and then the 02 and light the torch?

when I'm done, I shut the 02 knob on the torch off and then the propane knob on the torch off but how do I shut the propane at the tank off and the oxy con off is it in the same POOP order?

thanks
namaste
Rowyn

Old 2012-03-05, 1:30pm

I would light thr propane only first and adjust the flame to about 12" and then open up the oxygen. Reverse to shut off.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:37am
Triumphantly Knit!

I got the regulator from ebay today. It looks like the piece that the hose goes over is really small compared to the hose size....so what do I do? you can see how small it is in the photo above.

ETA: I am returning the bunsen burner regulator and have ordered the Smith regulator which is back ordered for 3 weeks.

Do I need flashback regulators; I would think so, but the HH didn't so I'm not sure with the 1# can.
I also need to find hoses with the b fittings on both ends that are either 4 but prolly 8 feet in case I move into another area of the house. I have 25 ft hoses but don't want to have to cut and paste and would feel more comfortable with the screw on fittings rather than clamps.

input/opinions/help?

thanks

namaste
Rowyn

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2012-03-07 at 5:30pm. Reason: it made no sense, parts missing
Old 2012-03-11, 12:45pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I'm gonna ask this again....do I need flashback arrestors with 1# propane? I know I don't for the HH but I don't remember why.

thank you.

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2012-03-11, 1:17pm

Quote:
I'm gonna ask this again....do I need flashback arrestors with 1# propane? I know I don't for the HH but I don't remember why.

thank you.

namaste
Rowyn
I run a 20lb propane tank and I would not consider running without it. I have worked on a HH on 1 gallon canisters and I believe the issue with a flashback arrestor there is purely plumbing. I would insert one as close to the tank as possible.
Old 2012-03-11, 2:12pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you Larry.

ETA: actually how do I put them in with this set up?

namaste
Rowyn

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2012-03-11 at 2:36pm.