Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-08-13, 3:18pm

Default Ventilation in a garage

So I'm new to this hobby as some of you may know, I have been pondering ventilation today. My dedicated work space will be in my large garage next to an open window about 4 feet away from the large garage door. My question is since my area is already well ventilated is a fume hood and fan necessary? could I just set up a normal house hold fan to blow fumes out of the window or door? would this interfere with my work in any way? There are also plenty of additional windows and doors for clean air to come in.

Last edited by redemer123; 2013-08-13 at 3:47pm.
Old 2013-08-14, 1:34am
TJ

Does weather make it not possible to have the entire garage door open while you work?
That would be ideal, I think.

Be sure to read through all of Dale M.'s posts in Safety, he is the ventilation guru!
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2013-08-14, 6:07am
Lampworkaholic!

I'm in a garage, only work with the door up, and still use a ventilation system. I want all those fumes and particles sucked away immediately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-08-14, 8:11am

On a calm day without a hint of wind there will be no air exchange no matter how many doors are open without a ventilation system.
Open doors are great, air exchange, escape route, natural light... But a ventilation system that will do the job 100% on its own is the best bet. Always plan for the worst.

Old 2013-08-14, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
On a calm day without a hint of wind there will be no air exchange no matter how many doors are open without a ventilation system.
Open doors are great, air exchange, escape route, natural light... But a ventilation system that will do the job 100% on its own is the best bet. Always plan for the worst.

Ha, I live in Michigan! the climate is bi-polar, no calm days here lol. In all seriousness, I think there will always be some air exchange it's just hard for me to justify setting up a full fledged ventilation system when I think a fan blowing away fumes through a massive opening may suffice. Given, I could be terribly wrong so I will continue to research the topic and when I set up the studio/bench I can use the "smoke test" I've read about on various threads to test my air exchange. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old 2013-08-14, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I'm in a garage, only work with the door up, and still use a ventilation system. I want all those fumes and particles sucked away immediately.
What does your ventilation system consist of?
Old 2013-08-14, 1:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Does weather make it not possible to have the entire garage door open while you work?
That would be ideal, I think.

Be sure to read through all of Dale M.'s posts in Safety, he is the ventilation guru!
Aside from being cold in the coming months no, I'm sheltered from any rain, snow etc.
Old 2013-08-14, 1:49pm
I'm meeeeelting

An open door is not ventilation. There's no guarantee that the fumes are going to leave. You need an active ventilation system. If you can put that in far enough away from the garage door, you can use your garage door for makeup air.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-08-14, 1:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
An open door is not ventilation. There's no guarantee that the fumes are going to leave. You need an active ventilation system. If you can put that in far enough away from the garage door, you can use your garage door for makeup air.
I just don't see setting up a fume hood and drilling holes in my parents garage an option, are there any other methods for ventilation?
Old 2013-08-14, 2:52pm

No one here is making money on your ventilation system. It's free advice... Being safe is not always the easiest way to do things...
You are the one that has to make the decision on which way to proceed. Years from now you will look back and say one of two things...

Ha, I saved a few hundred dollars.
or
Damn, I wish I had listened to those suggestions, I thought the wind blowing was enough.

Hopefully for you it's not from a hospital bed...

Old 2013-08-14, 4:29pm
I'm meeeeelting

There are ways to set up ventilation through a window (look at Andrea Guarino-Slemmon's website for an example) so that you wouldn't need to cut a hole in the wall, but you'd need make up air 10 feet away. If you can duct your bad air to a location that's farther from your garage door or block off all but the far end of your garage door, that could give you some options. Your fan would need to be strong enough to account for the longer ducting and the turn in the ducting if you want to run it along side the wall it comes out.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-08-14, 6:09pm
Wonder-wench

I also have my torch set up in the garage, originally I thought I would keep the door open, but it turned out that breezes were moving the flame around too much and the neighborhood kids were a little too interested in the process. I only had to cut an 8" hole in the side of the garage for the exhaust fan, the hole can easily be repaired later. In my opinion, it is better safe than sorry.

Old 2013-08-14, 6:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
No one here is making money on your ventilation system. It's free advice... Being safe is not always the easiest way to do things...
You are the one that has to make the decision on which way to proceed. Years from now you will look back and say one of two things...

Ha, I saved a few hundred dollars.
or
Damn, I wish I had listened to those suggestions, I thought the wind blowing was enough.

Hopefully for you it's not from a hospital bed...

It's not really about saving a buck it's about telling the parental units i'm about to cut a hole in the garage lol, Just trying to find alternative methods if possible.
Old 2013-08-14, 6:37pm

Quote:
There are ways to set up ventilation through a window (look at Andrea Guarino-Slemmon's website for an example) so that you wouldn't need to cut a hole in the wall, but you'd need make up air 10 feet away. If you can duct your bad air to a location that's farther from your garage door or block off all but the far end of your garage door, that could give you some options. Your fan would need to be strong enough to account for the longer ducting and the turn in the ducting if you want to run it along side the wall it comes out.
Just got a good idea from the post on Andrea's website, thanks a lot!
Old 2013-08-14, 6:46pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
What does your ventilation system consist of?
Hood, fan, ducting. I'll snap a photo tomorrow.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-08-15, 1:42am
Alaska Boro

Since it is your parent's home get them involved in the process. Have them attend a lampworking workshop with you so that they can get the feel for the art. Plus the workshop will give you a feel for the art yourself.

Once they understand the process they may be willing to assist in your venture.
Old 2013-08-15, 2:46pm

So i'm thinking i'll probably get a 6-8" in line fan and just use a few feet of tubing to shoot the fumes strait out of the window. I am liking the setups that suck the fumes in front of the torch rather than making a fume hood. The trick will be to figure out how far to position the sucker upper from the torch
Old 2013-08-15, 2:53pm

Would a fan like this be adequate? http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...776-c-6872.htm
Old 2013-08-15, 3:18pm
I'm meeeeelting

If you're talking about a funnel type fume catcher, it should be pretty close. They lose their effacy with distance. Also, keep in mind that fumes rise so it is better to have the funnel a bit above the flame.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-08-15, 3:19pm

Quote:
If you're talking about a funnel type fume catcher, it should be pretty close. They lose their effacy with distance. Also, keep in mind that fumes rise so it is better to have the funnel a bit above the flame.
noted, thanks for the comment.
Old 2013-08-15, 4:21pm

I would not recommend that fan at all. It is not mention to draw air out of an area only to move it threw a duct.

If you want an inline fan you should try a hydroponics store. The ones they sell are meant to draw air out of an area. They have a bigger can with a better blade setup. Something more like this: http://cheaphydroponics.com/store/vi.../prod_172.html

Chuck
Old 2013-08-15, 4:25pm
Avada Kedavra

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
This is a good start if you are not torching for long hours on end.

Since you're worried about poking holes in walls of the garage. This can be mounted into a piece of wood and placed in a raised window. Take it out when you are not torching and close the window.

If you place your desk in front of the window, you can also make an extension with a hood that will draw fumes from across your desk. Example http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8OzMwrjNr6...rchandvent.jpg

This will give you the ability to have your studio, but not have to destroy the place to get your ventilation in.

Old 2013-08-15, 5:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphi View Post
This is a good start if you are not torching for long hours on end.

Since you're worried about poking holes in walls of the garage. This can be mounted into a piece of wood and placed in a raised window. Take it out when you are not torching and close the window.

If you place your desk in front of the window, you can also make an extension with a hood that will draw fumes from across your desk. Example http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8OzMwrjNr6...rchandvent.jpg

This will give you the ability to have your studio, but not have to destroy the place to get your ventilation in.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm going to do, my desk will rest directly in front of a window so I think I can get a good ventilation system sorted out with relative ease.
Old 2013-08-15, 6:44pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphi View Post
This can be mounted into a piece of wood and placed in a raised window. Take it out when you are not torching and close the window.
This is excellent advice!