No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-04, 7:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you - it sure was a challenge! I will try to work one up that is a lot simpler in the near future!
Old 2010-07-04, 8:41am
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina loving the Dino. Great job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-06, 9:33am

Anyone have new stuff from the weekend?
Old 2010-07-06, 9:37am

After the discussion last week about the hints in this huge devardi message I am making notes. Anyone want to help me? What I consider important others may not.
Old 2010-07-06, 10:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
After the discussion last week about the hints in this huge devardi message I am making notes. Anyone want to help me? What I consider important others may not.
What huge Devardi message? I missed it! What hints and what would help you? You are such a Sweetie I would help or answer anything I can, and I know others will too.

I worked on the critters this weekend. I worked it out with BOC to have a Spiral-bound Workbook of critters for them to sell to make funds for their program, so that is exciting! So here's what I worked up this weekend to be in the workbook with the other critters already up, and there will surely be some more after these!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-07-11 at 4:47pm.
Old 2010-07-06, 11:00am
Remember to keep smiling

Default Warning brief nudity

Playing with a new style critter still need more PPP but they were so fun to make. I used up all my Devardi new pink. Devardi sites shows sold out hope they get more with the new shipment.

I had a bit of soot problem but I believe it is my propane ever since I refilled my tank this time just about every color I use I have had a problem with it.

Dress rehearsal
Name:  07062010pigs03.JPG
Views: 1769
Size:  46.0 KB
Doesn't seem to be any costume malfunctions
Name:  07062010pigs03a.JPG
Views: 1759
Size:  44.5 KB
Their manager dropped in to check things out
Name:  07062010pigs03b.JPG
Views: 1429
Size:  43.4 KB
Group shot of the whole gang
Name:  07062010pigs 02.JPG
Views: 1449
Size:  43.5 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-06, 11:23am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Paula, are they Chippendale Piggies? I like the one holding his pants on the side!
Old 2010-07-06, 11:30am

Kristina-just referring to this thread! There is a ton of good information in these pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
What huge Devardi message? I missed it! What hints and what would help you? You are such a Sweetie I would help or answer anything I can, and I know others will too.

Paula-those are so cute!!
Old 2010-07-06, 8:21pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

This is the reason for one of my last posts here. It would be VERY helpful to nubbies or just anyone who has trouble reading a lot, to get the important tips and tricks about this glass in a consolidated post.

BTW Kristina ~ loves your new little animals!
& Paula ~ those piggies are toooo cute! Good job ladies!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-07-07, 4:33am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi "New Users Workbook"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan239s View Post
This is the reason for one of my last posts here. It would be VERY helpful to nubbies or just anyone who has trouble reading a lot, to get the important tips and tricks about this glass in a consolidated post.

BTW Kristina ~ loves your new little animals!
& Paula ~ those piggies are toooo cute! Good job ladies!!

I sure agree... and I remember the frustration of first learning to work with this glass, how to handle it and how to make rounds and hollows, pull stringer and encase, goldstone adventurine rods, etc.

Maybe a Tutorial of "New User Points" in a PDF that anyone can download, or an online Tutorial on their site. If it only gets posted here it goes away with lack of viewing, and then people don't know about it, but something on the Devardi site and also posted here would be more visible.

I will email the owners and see if they would find it agreeable if I put some points with pictures together in one place.
Old 2010-07-07, 1:05pm

I started going through the beginning of this thread for good info. It was really interesting to re-read some of the stuff. Lots that I had forgotten about color reactions and incompatibility info. I started saving the good info. It may become huge!
Old 2010-07-07, 1:11pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Deavrdi how to workbook/pdf

I emailed Natasha and she agreed with the idea of working up a New Users Info Tutorial or Workbook!

It will need to be done after the Beads Of Courage Workbook gets done, but it will be a great project and a reference that we can add to in the future. I don't claim to be any expert, but I can do most of the basic things with Devardi on a Hothead, and I have a Technical Publications background, and I will be glad to work it up.

SO the workbook would cover the techniques of using Devardi on a Hothead, and can be adapted to a surface mix torch. It would also include the very basics of handling the glass and then get into the how-to's on things like dots, raking, making hollows, rounds, stringers, encasing, making critters and so on!

It would be neat to have images of other people's work too. Maybe we can have peoples work with their names and websites if they have one?

Sound good? Here are some pics of past work that could have how-to's included in the Workbook. Please make any suggestions for content that you like, so we cover whatever you are interested in if we possibly can!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-07-08 at 5:57am.
Old 2010-07-07, 1:15pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I started going through the beginning of this thread for good info. It was really interesting to re-read some of the stuff. Lots that I had forgotten about color reactions and incompatibility info. I started saving the good info. It may become huge!
Bethany, if it appeals to you it would be wonderful if you wanted to collect that data and send it to me! It could go in the workbook!
Old 2010-07-09, 6:22am
Forever P~P~P :0)

EXCELLENT idea, Kristina. I would even pay the usual "tutorial fee" for whatever you work up. Thanks for taking on this monumental task!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-07-09, 12:28pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Sandy... it will be a neat project. I used to work on Naval Technical Manuals which are huge, so this one should take far less time and be SO much more rewarding!
Old 2010-07-11, 8:33am
Companion

I got my devardi colors last week. Ordered some of the pinks, some bicolor rods, some mixed rods and some dichro. After the first test i really like it. But do the rods have to be that shocky?

Espacially the opaque and semi opaque pink (which look exactly the same...) crumble like crazy even in the tiniest flame. The pink luster rods do it also, but not as much as the opaques. And the pink luster doesn't like to be put over kugler white. Incompatibility cracks all around the bead.

The dichro is very very very thin and has to be immediately (spelling?) encased after applying it next to the flame. When i put it into the (tiniest) flame of my cricket it starts to burn. If handled carefully it has a great sparkle.

These were the first tests...more to follow if you are interested
Don't you cry no more
Old 2010-07-11, 8:53am
GlassDocNC

Steffi, please do post more (with pictures if possible). Thanks for your input.

Are you using a rod warmer? I have very little shockiness when the rods are pre-heated.

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
Old 2010-07-11, 9:25am

Steffi-you may want to check out the videos on the dicro. A rod warmer or put the rods on top your kiln. Like Marina, I have very little trouble when the rods are pre-heated.

Good Luck!
Old 2010-07-11, 10:21am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Life with Devardi rods will improve greatly if you preheat them. The worst of the worst in terms of shockiness for me were the semi-opaque pink and the opaque pink. Steffi, I couldn't tell them apart, either.

Old 2010-07-11, 2:06pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone,

I had a froggie-day... and my Devardi heart-froggies came through nicely, but my 96 frit-froggies cracked I can hardly wait for that bead kiln I have on layaway!

Here are my two cuties on Dk. Transparent Rose and the Transparent Light Green with flowers on their fannies (they are girl frogs)... and then the ones that cracked... well it was a nice break, pardon the pun!

And I would chime in with everyone else and say you MUST get a rod warmer to preheat your Devardi rods with, and then life will be rosie!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-07-11 at 2:09pm.
Old 2010-07-11, 2:17pm
Companion

So here are those pics

#1: opaque pink, burned dichro , flowers are transparent dark rose over white, encased with kugler clear

#2: pink luster over opaque pink, stamen stringer, flowers same as #1, encased in kugler clear

#3: spacer beads, tr. dark rose, opaque pink, pink luster rod

#4: cobalt bicolor rod, dichro, kugler clear

#5: pink luster over kugler white, dots are tr. dark rose. Bad combination, cracked all over the bead

I'll try to put the tips of the rods into my kiln to preheat. Don't have a seperate preheater...

More experiments will come for sure
Attached Images

Don't you cry no more
Old 2010-07-11, 3:26pm

I tried the dark rose over the Devardi white and the sop white. Encased they both were not compatible. Tried the dark rose over white Vetrofond and Moretti. The Moretti was the only survivor. I still need to do some more playing with the different clears.
Old 2010-07-11, 4:05pm

I stick the first quarter of whatever rods I am going to be using in my kiln to pre heat and keep the rest on top so they are pretty warm when I introduce them into the flame. Very little shockiness doing it that way.
I am having issues with the Devardi clear over some of the silver colors like triton and psyche also. Serious incompatibility cracks. Also the dark transparent over sop white cracks every time and they are both devardi.
In defense of the clear over the silver, I had the same problem with moretti clear over the silver glass also. Will be trying out different clears with those.
Here is one set of frit beads I made mixing three colors of the devardi frit, they are red, orange and yellow but I would have to go down and look if you want the exact colors. The funny thing is the focal is encased (the whole bead is devardi glass) and I had no trouble with this one cracking or the other two that I did that have the yellow and oranges in them. And I have heard that those two colors don't like to be encased in almost any glass.

Old 2010-07-11, 4:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Steffi & Sonja - beautiful work despite the problems, and thank you for the info on what works and what doesn't!
Old 2010-07-12, 6:00am

I used the clear over DH Aurea with no problem. I have not been able to use the clear from the latest shipment to encase. Much too bubbly. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 2010-07-12, 7:52am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I used the clear over DH Aurea with no problem. I have not been able to use the clear from the latest shipment to encase. Much too bubbly. Anyone else have this issue?
I used the latest clear to make a layered petal bead yesterday and it was okay. Maybe it's the heat... are you using it pretty hot?
Old 2010-07-12, 8:06am

It really depends on what I am doing. To test clear I make a few spacers and then encase thick and encase thin. I usually encase a dark color looking for bubbles. Nothing I did made the clear happy!

I encased the SOP Lt Green on Saturday. Turned it completely white. Very strange to me.
Old 2010-07-12, 9:05am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
It really depends on what I am doing. To test clear I make a few spacers and then encase thick and encase thin. I usually encase a dark color looking for bubbles. Nothing I did made the clear happy!

I encased the SOP Lt Green on Saturday. Turned it completely white. Very strange to me.
I would let Natasha at Devardi know. She may replace it. That doesn't sound right for clear!
Old 2010-07-12, 12:07pm

I have some Vetrofond crystal clear that does the same thing. I just use them as bases for higher priced or hard to get glass. I will use it up! But-prob will use only Effetre in the future for my clear.
Old 2010-07-13, 10:01am

I tried some frit over the bubbly glass. Transparent frit looks really neat on top!

Tags
devardi