Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-04-01, 9:16am
Flamethrower

Default This is our studio- Wanna see?

Here is our studio- It is in our Garage, in Raleigh, NC.
I started in Stained glas in the late 90's. I then progressed to fusing, when my husband brought me a used ceramic kiln for an anniversary. In making cabachons & pendants, I wanted to make matching glass earrings, so I started Lampworking. My husband (glassstone), who had begun to take interest in the fusing, absolutely loved the lampworking & now we have a hobby to share! We are beginners & are not really sure if our set up is going to work. What do you think?

Name:  100_3546.JPG
Views: 1287
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  100_3547.JPG
Views: 1279
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  100_3548.JPG
Views: 1257
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  100_3549.JPG
Views: 1265
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  100_3550.JPG
Views: 1237
Size:  32.1 KB

Last edited by funfuser; 2006-04-01 at 6:54pm.
Old 2006-04-02, 4:37am
Embracing My Wonkiness

I think it's pretty sweet! You might want to move the propane outside for safety reasons though.

I know what you mean about having a hobby to share! My DH has taken an interest in the lampworking as well and it's great fun to share ideas together.

Have fun!

Lil
Old 2006-04-02, 8:49am
Covered in glitter

I think I'm missin' the ventilation, too.

Wish I could get my DH to start playing. Then he wouldn't roll his eyes at me all the time when the boxes of glass show up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-04-02, 11:58am
Flamethrower

Exclamation

Well, as a beginner- please don't shoot me, but if you can give me reasons, my hubby may act faster. You are right there is no "ventalation" we open the front garage door & the backdoor for a cross breeze. My hubby feels that at this point that is sufficient. I have been looking at the site for different ventalation options I might get him to spring for. The tank is right at the garage door (1 foot from "outside"). That part of the house gets A LOT of direct heat & it can reach 120+ in the summer (I have put my thermometer out there before)- I am not too keen in leaving the tank in that type of sun, escpecially since it would be on my driveway.... the door is open when I turn the tank on, you really think it should be outside? Where should I put it outside? Far away? Yikes.... now I am freaking out....

Last edited by funfuser; 2006-04-02 at 12:01pm.
Old 2006-04-02, 5:08pm

I'm with you. It's great to know about the safety precautions but sometimes when you're starting out you need to do it in stages. My first class was with nothing more than cross ventilation. I came home and worked a while that way. Why not? (Big name artist so and so did, and we all did for 2 days) I've read the safety info since. I'm sure it's not great to work with only cross ventilation. I'm not a safety guru and I don't claim to be one. The problems I know of are the fumes, for starters lead, silver and other metals.

I'm not sure when it is best to try to tip others off and when we should be happy they have a place to enjoy. So as hard as it is, consider posts with suggestions as well meaning and add improvements as you can. I say that because I know people who work with a box fan in the window in front of them. Proper? Probably not. Safe 'enough'? Maybe not, but they feel comfortable with it. For sure if you are working in a make due space, watch for headaches or other signs of inhaling fumes. Take frequent breaks with fresh air. Don't 'fume' or work with high(er than 'normal') metal glass and frit.

The propane is not supposed to be 'in dwellings' and probably not in garages. My insurance agent approved my propelyne tank for use in the basement and then storage in the garage because 'most everyone has a grill tank in their garage'. Now my tank is in the studio in the barn. Eventually I will be hooked up to hard plumbed gas. (Just waiting for the gas company to hook it up.) It was like pulling teeth to get the gas company to approve it. They said use the bbq tank (in the building). The building inspector didn't care either way, high pressure lp going into the building (required no breaks in the pipe other than at corners) or the tank. Fire department is all volunteer, know I have the tank and that virtually everyone else does.

I forgot, the risks I know of with the propane or fuel is fuel that is heavier than air (MAPP and LP I believe) pooling if they leak in your space and also explosion if there is a fire. (Lost property, and possibly lives.)
Good luck

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2006-04-02 at 5:28pm.
Old 2006-04-03, 7:16am
Flamethrower

Nancy- You hit the nail on the head, it is all in stages.... When I can afford, I purchase. I am not fuming at this time, we are still such beginners, that we mostly play with rods & stringers. I don't even have frit! I am an asthmatic & I trigger very easily- on EVERYTHING- so far, I have not had problems with lampworking.
You did bring up a good point, I need to call my insurance agent. Our friends are on the fire department, so they already know about the propolyne, I asked them if I needed a hazardous sign (with #2) posted outside, they said no.
Thank you for the encouraging words & suggestions.
Old 2006-04-04, 2:57am
Nah, not really...;)

Thanks for sharing your space. Looks awesome!
Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-04, 8:10am

Just wanted to put my two cents in, I have asthma too. Here is what I do , I wear a mask so I don't breathe any vapors. Also get you a carbon monoixide alarm. I got my at Lowes . But Walmart carries them too. They are around $35 but worth your health. Ventilation is very important especially you having asthma. It could mean your life!!!!
As far as propane or Mapp get it outside. I'm new at lampworking but have done metal and silvermithing for years. Safety first!!!!! After all you only have one life and only one set of eyes. You can get a yard rubbermaid bench like container at Lowes or Home Depo. The lid open up and a large container of gas can fit in there. protects it from the elements of the weather too.
Your studio looks great have fun.
Not trying to be bossy just care about a fellow asthmatic. We all have to help each other and learn.
Janet
Old 2006-04-04, 12:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfuser
Nancy- You hit the nail on the head, it is all in stages.... When I can afford, I purchase. I am not fuming at this time, we are still such beginners, that we mostly play with rods & stringers. I don't even have frit! I am an asthmatic & I trigger very easily- on EVERYTHING- so far, I have not had problems with lampworking.
You did bring up a good point, I need to call my insurance agent. Our friends are on the fire department, so they already know about the propolyne, I asked them if I needed a hazardous sign (with #2) posted outside, they said no.
Thank you for the encouraging words & suggestions.
Glad you've checked with your fire department. Since your studio is in your garage, usually the tank is less of an issue. Another thing my insurance agent suggested was opening both doors prior to torching to be sure the cross breeze had a chance to get out any leaks that might have collected around the floor. That is the concern while you are working, not where the tank actually sits. The rest of the safety concerns are in case of a fire the tank will explode. I'm told by our fire people a tank sitting right outside a building is just as likely to explode and they just assume garages have a tank.

I'm sure you'll get different ventilation as soon as you can. Your lungs are important but dealing with asthma I'm sure you know that.

Good luck.
Old 2006-04-04, 1:19pm
Flamethrower

Concerns are always welcome- It is nice to see concern from postings, and positive encouragement too . I am still just exited about the "new digs".

To help others with what I have learned from this post...(probably should have posted this studio in the hazards/safety section, but oh well).
1> I have always had a carbon monoxide dector, because I have been fusing for a while & have put some questionable items in the kiln!
2>From the postings, I thought it best to check with my insurance agent & he had no problems with the propoline tank, or the fact that it is in my garage. I guess they do assume you have conbustables in your garage.
3>I will have to think about moving the tank... To put it outside would put it in view of my neighborhood & the children who run rampid. I see more issues with that, than where it is. Besides, in or out, if (god forbid) it explodes, a 1 inch sheet of aluminum is not going to protect me much ....

Of course, as soon as I have enough cash & an idea on how to run it, we will have some sort of air exchange system that is more reliable than mother nature....
Old 2006-04-08, 10:33pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

ah dont worry about your tank. I used to have my hothead attatched directly onto my propane tank a 4 kilo tank (almost 10 pounds) I have even DROPPED MOLTEN GLASS directly onto the tank (I flicked it off very quickly) with a tank that small and being right next to the door you will be fine. putting a tank that small outside would be overkill!
Old 2006-04-08, 10:35pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

to be honest if you are going to be spending heaps of dollars on putting it outside you would be better upgrading to a minor and putting your much larger oxy and propane tanks outside. I have a 100pound tank in my studio but then it is strapped to a retaining wall and my studio is outside.
Old 2006-04-09, 12:38am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyartglass
ah dont worry about your tank. I used to have my hothead attatched directly onto my propane tank a 4 kilo tank (almost 10 pounds) I have even DROPPED MOLTEN GLASS directly onto the tank (I flicked it off very quickly) with a tank that small and being right next to the door you will be fine. putting a tank that small outside would be overkill!
I think you are going to get flamed for that. I don't get it either because people store their RVs in garages with propane tanks on the back of them and barbeque tanks.

Interesting though, that's the first time I have heard from the fire dept. saying it was not a big deal.
Old 2006-04-09, 5:13am

I've said before I'm not a safety person. But I really don't understand why everyone is now saying oxy has to be stored outside also. Even the stores store it in their sheds.

As for the propane, our insurance agent, our fire department and building inspector figure it isn't any different then welder's equipment that is in most garages around here. I still move it to the unfinshed area when I'm not working. I'm waiting for the gas company to actually find the time to hook up the piped line. (Which they didn't want to approve.) But I am not attached to my house. (Just a barn holding more than the value of my house when it is full of equipment.)
Old 2006-04-09, 3:24pm
Covered in glitter

If you are interested in learning about the safety aspect you might want to try www.ISGB.org and check them out.
Tell me in 15 years that the ventilation wasn't important.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-04-09, 3:34pm
Entropy increasing....

I would be more worried about the ventilation than the oxy and propane. Every jewelry store that has a jeweler who does sizing and repairs has oxy and propane tanks in it. I was in a mall the other day and a jeweler had a kiosk where he did repairs. Oxy - propane indoors! Ackkk! Run for your lives!!!
Old 2006-04-10, 2:38am
doyenne of the homebodies

Your studio looks very cozy and well-organized! Thanks for posting pics.

This may be the first totally courteous thread on tanks and ventilation that I've ever seen Of course, I never read the safety forum here (I used to read it on other forums though), so that's probably not saying much.

Andrea

Last edited by andreajane; 2006-04-10 at 4:39am. Reason: grammar
Old 2006-04-10, 4:27am
Puddy Cat Lover

Wow, your studio is great. It'll be your favorite place to be in the world.
One question. "Where's the car being stored?"
J

Old 2006-04-10, 12:43pm
Flamethrower

Car? Is that what a garage is for? Ha, Ha...there actually is a funny story to that.... The builder didn't take into account Oversize vehicles. My husband's truck & my SUV are both 2 inches too long. We cannot close the garage door... The Cars have never parked in the garage!
Old 2006-04-10, 1:18pm

Bummer on not being able to use the garage for your vehicles. (I guess. Sure was lucky for the studio. )

I saw you posted someplace about the cfms on a hood. That measurement should be supplied with the fan. Sometimes, but not always it is in the model number. I have one that is a Sunbeam350 and happens to be a 350 cfm fan. I can't say that is always the case.

I agree with the others. It's nice to see a positive thread about a studio in progress rather then only finding fault. Hope you're enjoying your space.
Old 2006-04-11, 5:43am
Flamethrower

Thanks, Nancy I am.
As for the hood, it is used & The info I posted is the only stuff I can find on the machine. I am at a loss. Guess I try & see...???
Old 2006-04-11, 9:12am

Anything has to be a step in the right direction. I'd think. Have you tried the incense test? My set up passes 'it' but I still don't use any extra metals then necessary. I don't have my actual hood set up yet. When I do I'll test again and go from there.

What I liked about the incense was I could watch the smoke go out the window. So, not only did I not smell anything if I watched closely as it produced smoke I saw it going out the window.

Good luck.
Old 2006-04-12, 8:06am
Flamethrower

that is an awesome idea. We hope to get the fan in place the week after Easter, i will definately try that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
Anything has to be a step in the right direction. I'd think. Have you tried the incense test? My set up passes 'it' but I still don't use any extra metals then necessary. I don't have my actual hood set up yet. When I do I'll test again and go from there.

What I liked about the incense was I could watch the smoke go out the window. So, not only did I not smell anything if I watched closely as it produced smoke I saw it going out the window.

Good luck.
Old 2006-04-12, 8:31am

hiya funfuser,
it looks like you have a similar floorplan to my studio space. I have very suficient ventalation for each workspace in the studio. There are pics of the stations in my glassartists.org portfolio. Same user name. Maybe you could find some solutions in there. Feel free to ask any questions, and i will answer to the best of my ability.

I do not work soft glass so i do not know about that, but a list of metals i know are in borosilicate color rods;
-cobalt
-gold
-cadmium
-tin
-chrome
-silver
-copper
-and im sure the list is much longer than that.
B
Old 2006-04-12, 11:55am
Flamethrower

Thanks, B I will take a look & probably ask lots!
Old 2006-04-12, 4:51pm

no prollem at all. Ask away.
B
Old 2006-04-13, 7:07am

Your studio is great. I think it would be awesome to open up that door and watch what is going on outside while working. It is also great that you two have a common interest to work on. My wife and I also do all the glass stuff together.

Black River Beads

Most Beads Are Here: