Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-01-09, 7:52am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Default Freeware Photo-editing Software?

Hi,
I have Adobe CS2 on my desktop, and I just got a new laptop with Vista, so guess what? Yup, can't install CS2 on my laptop anymore.

I really can't buy a good photo-editing program for my laptop at the moment and I do little photo-editing on my laptop to justify such an expense.

As good as my laptop is, Sony Vaio-17" screen, there is NO photo-editing bundled with it!! My desktop, also a Vaio came with Photoshop Elements, this one, nothing?

Any chance there is a free photo-editing program out there that does simple things like re-size and contrast and balance, mostly?

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-09, 8:16am
Flaming Redhead!

Irfanview is a nice little program...http://www.irfanview.com/

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-01-09, 8:39am

Thank you! I'll take a look at it!

Old 2009-01-10, 2:56am

Gimp is another - pretty much will do most things Photoshop can do
Old 2009-01-10, 8:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
Irfanview is a nice little program...http://www.irfanview.com/
I this program--it's small enough it will run off a memory card (seriously--my computer is running half off a 2GB memory card ) & easy enough that *I* can use it Loco told me about it & I'm eternally grateful!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-10, 9:14am

I have used GIMP for years. It is the Open source answer to Photoshop. You can get the Windows installer at:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-01-10, 10:33am
burnin' glass just becuz

i use Picasa http://picasa.google.com. It has good basic editing and organizing features and is easy to use. To size for my blog or LE i just email the pics to myself from within the program and they are all automatically resized. works like a charm.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-01-13, 7:30pm

GIMP rocks! It does everything I would want to do right now.

Old 2009-01-13, 7:35pm
I fart diamonds

GIMP definitely has the most features of any free image editing software out there. I also like Photofiltre http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm.

Old 2009-01-13, 7:37pm

Thank you! I downloaded Gimp, I am so very impressed!

Perfect, thanks!

Old 2009-01-17, 4:23pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Do any of these have a setting where you can tell it what is white?

I have photoshop, which cost me a fortune and I never use it because there is no way to set the white. Grr.

Old 2009-01-17, 9:41pm

GIMP does, and I am sure Photoshop does as well it would be in the Levels section. You should be able to set a white or black point and I think you could also set a grey card (18%) point as well if you use that.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-01-18, 7:37am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Oops, I miss spoke. I have paint shop pro, not photoshop! I guess they sound the same? LOL.

I am glad that GIMP has the white setting, I will download that today and give it a try. Thank you for answering that.

Old 2009-01-18, 7:45am
Flaming Redhead!

Paint Shop Pro has it too...go to Adjust > Colour Balance > Manual Colour Correction

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-01-18, 7:51am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
Paint Shop Pro has it too...go to Adjust > Colour Balance > Manual Colour Correction
That only adjusts the green red and blue. There isn't any white settings there. I have heard that the newest version has a white setting, but I don't have the newest one. I have 7 point something.

Old 2009-01-18, 8:12am
Flaming Redhead!

Ah sorry...I have version 8. GIMP will probably be your best bet...

- John Keats
Old 2009-01-23, 12:10pm

I have photoscape new, free, and a 5 star review in PC

Old 2009-01-23, 1:14pm
Skeptical Optimist

Irfranview is cool, but I like FastStone Image Viewer for its free features. Cheers!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2009-01-23, 4:00pm

another vote for gimp... i've used photoshop from v2 up to the current one (at work) but i'll never buy it for myself - the gimp does the same stuff for free.

|