No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-11, 2:08pm

Question glass and tool suggestions

Okay so I have several questions:

I just started about a month ago and have done a lot of research online with different glass suppliers. I would like to place an order but am not really sure what and how much to get. This may be one of those you just need to order and make your personal call but I figure someone could lean me towards a good supplier. I'm looking for fun colors also.

so on that note, what is a good way for me to keep track of what colors I have and what color they turn out to be once heated? Don't some of them come out to be different from the original rod color?

I also have a question about tools. I have a graphite paddle and some other off the wall things that I've been playing with to shape my beads. Are there certain "staple" tools that I, as a beginner should have?

thanks to anyone who responds. Any and all help is appreciated.
Dani
Old 2006-02-11, 4:31pm

<<what and how much to get>> Order a few different sample packs and try a number of different colors and manufacturers. And then order more of what you enjoy. Almost all of the Big Boys (Wale, Arrow Springs, etc.) offer sample packs.

<<what is a good way for me to keep track>> Keep notes! Keep notes!!! 'Tis very hard to keep notes when you get caught up in the fun. But if you do jot stuff down, you may avoid re-inventing the wheel every time you sit at the torch. Keep one sketchbook notebook, with non-lined pages, for all your idea sketches, notes, pasted-in pix, and the the notes from all the classes you take. I am accumulating a big collection of these and it's a real treasure-trove of info, ideas, and inspiration.

<<Are there certain "staple" tools that I, as a beginner should have?>> In my humble opinion, these are (1) a brass paddle, (2) a pair if tweezers, and (3) an old flat non-serrated kitchen paring knife. I use these three almost exclusively, along with my two stationary graphite marvers (one on the torch top and one 6"x6" sized one on two bricks right in front of the torch). I have a couple pair of stainless steel Joyce Chen chopsticks, that I use as punties for putting stringer, but you could just as easily use your tweezers for that.

If you go to this page - http://sgb-midatlantic.org/features/...8_mashers.html - and scroll all the way to the bottom, there is a picture of Annie working at my torch. You can see the 6x6 graphite pad on top the bricks.

For some excellent advice on tools, see: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=122530

JanMD
Old 2006-02-11, 10:06pm

JanMD pretty much covered it. I would just add that parallel mashers may not be a "must have", but certainly somewhere close to the top of the wish list. Keep an eye out anytime you are in the kitchen section of stores for creative tool ideas. I got a great little knife at Kitchen & Co, a while back for $1. And don't forget to post your wish list in the Pay-It-Forward thread in the game room and watch the garage sale forum.

As for glass, you might check around to see if anyone sells glass in your area. That way, you can pick and choose exactly the color you want to try. When you get to the point of placing a bigger order, you most likely will get a better price with one of the more well known places. Mountain Glass Arts is a place (local to me) that up until about a month ago, only sold boro. Since they started selling moretti, I've found that I can get my glass from them for about the same price because there's no shipping costs - plus I don't have to wait for the order ! So sometimes it pays to shop around, even locally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-11, 10:29pm
<--- Time traveler

Brat -

Just wanted to tell you that I love your haircut! It's totally different from when I met you at Marjorie's. Very cool!

Courtney
Old 2006-02-12, 2:56pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbrat
...not really sure what and how much to get.
As mentioned, sample packs are a good idea, and local stores are great. But if you don't have a local store (or they are very pricy like mine -- it's stained glass store and he sell rods at *three times* the prices online), I'd suggest howacoglass.com -- they sell by the rod at good prices. I found it like a "sample pack made to order", so I could avoid those colors that didn't interest me then.
Old 2006-02-12, 3:15pm

You've got a lot of good advice already. In addition to the glass sample pack, it would be good to get 1/4 pound (or more if your budget allows) each of black, white and ivory. Black and white are really good for practice and ivory is fun because it reacts with so many colors. This way you won't use up all your pretty colors practicing the basics.
Old 2006-02-12, 4:08pm

Default here is a great sample pack!

here is a link to a full moretti sample pack. If you scroll to the bottom you can get every color for 100$ plus some extra clears and such. Sound like a good deal to you all??? Also they are tagged so you could save the end of it and have a melted part that shows it after the flame and a rod part. You could make a great chart out of this. I am gonna order some i think!
http://jodelglass.com/shopsite_sc/st...ml/page89.html
Old 2006-02-13, 9:11am
Where Am I?

So far you have good advice on the glass. For tools just use whatever work for your needs. Lots of household items make great tools.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss