Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-08-28, 5:01pm
Barney's Mom

Default Torching & Contact Lenses

Hi all. I'll be starting my class on beadmaking in 2 weeks. Worcester Craft Center provides all equipment. I've never worked with hot glass so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks to Lynnie, I'll wear jeans, a long sleeved cotton high necked jersy and cotton sox with my leather clogs.

The problem is that I wear contact lenses. When I did stained glass I never had a problem with soldering and the various fluxes that I used (in very good ventilation with good safety glasses, of course!). Does lampworking throw off lots of irritating fumes that I'll need to be careful of?

Thanks!

One of the toughest things in Life is deciding when to give up and when to try harder...
Old 2005-08-28, 5:12pm
Back from the Dark Side

I wear contacts and have no problems at all. I've been doing this for a few years too. The only problem i had was forgetting to blink. I started using B&L Acuview...and my eyes don't dry out anymore!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-08-28, 5:27pm
Barney's Mom

Thanks Lynn. I'll keep that in mind, though I have a pretty good blink reflex. I always carry TheraTears so I should be in good shape.

I CAN'T WAIT TO START MY CLASS!!!

One of the toughest things in Life is deciding when to give up and when to try harder...
Old 2005-08-28, 5:38pm
Yup.

I wear those 30-day contacts and am just fine. I've never torched without contacts so I don’t' have anything to compare to. I can say that remembering to blink is important...

~
~
Old 2005-08-28, 5:51pm
Barney's Mom

Thanks JC!

I wear the 30-day disposables too. Funny thing is that these are my second pair in 3 years! When my Dr. gave me the first pair I got my signals crossed and thought they were a replacement for my regular extended wear lenses. So, I cleaned them weekly and kept wearing them. I recently went to for a checkup and nearly flipped when he said I hadn't been in for 3 years and that I'd been wearing 30 day disposables for the entire time! He's showing them to his rep! Please, no one take this as an endorsement for "off label" use of lenses, I just thought it was pretty funny. I now have a year's supply of 30 day lenses, that I will use properly. They are the most comfy lenses I've ever had though...

Old 2005-08-28, 8:30pm
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri-S
Thanks JC!

I wear the 30-day disposables too. Funny thing is that these are my second pair in 3 years! When my Dr. gave me the first pair I got my signals crossed and thought they were a replacement for my regular extended wear lenses. So, I cleaned them weekly and kept wearing them. I recently went to for a checkup and nearly flipped when he said I hadn't been in for 3 years and that I'd been wearing 30 day disposables for the entire time! He's showing them to his rep! Please, no one take this as an endorsement for "off label" use of lenses, I just thought it was pretty funny. I now have a year's supply of 30 day lenses, that I will use properly. They are the most comfy lenses I've ever had though...
TOO CRAZY!! I did the math and I think I am wearing about every other pair for 2 months. I plan to use my brain and calendar to be better at this, but at least I now know that death will not ensue!!!

~
~
Old 2005-08-29, 6:03am
Safety ALWAYS

Use pure saline eye drops, make a big sign in black letters on white background with the single word "BLINK". Put it far back in your workspace, but still in your vision. It will become "invisible", but your brain will still see it and remind your eyes to blink.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-08-29, 6:22pm
Barney's Mom

Thanks Mike. Will do!