Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-06-16, 4:38am
Glass Attack

well, no burns yet, but those are some serious trophy wounds though!
but i did manage to get extremely burnt under my right arm by my armpit, falling in a pallet fire. the pallet shifted when i vaulted off of it, so i kind of fell back/straight down and the the left, almost out of the fire. otherwise, i would have burned much more than that.. let me tell ya what, nastiest 2nd degree burn i've ever had! sorry its not a burn/wound from glass, im sure that will happen at some point down the road..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-16, 6:01am
In search of her path....

Aleta all i can say is YEOUCH! I would have passed out im sure of it. Im pretty good with injuries but that one wow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-07-05, 10:05am
Skeptical Optimist

Red face Ok, I finally join the burn club...

So for the past four years I've been pretty lucky, but I just my got worst burn about 10 minutes ago and thought immediately "I'd better get a picture to show the other glassfiends!" It also helps when giving demos and the safety talk

Sure it's not as bad as a lot here, but man is that tip cooked...

I was sculpting legs of a crab and rotated my piece to get a crab leg out of the flame and was listening to music... middle finger got it (the irony!)! Smells burned too, probably mostly the burnt-nail smell, but it's getting all hard at the tip. It's hurting, but I'm posting this first, then will go back to cold-watering it and maybe back to the torch if I put a band-aid on it or something to keep the heat away... Here ya go:

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2010-07-05, 11:33am
one day at a time

I have a picture of it somewhere where I show back in 2005 when I had touched the corner of my thumb to a just out of the flame graphite marvering paddle. Sssssssstttt!!!!! I rounding out a huge boro bead and since I didn't want to stop, I kept going while my BF held ice to the thumb.

I lost the corner of my left hand thumb and the nailbed is a little crooked there. It wasn't a large blister but it was deep and I lost a little chunk of tissue from that. A dumb accident because I was overtired and should not have been torching in the first place.

The one that was worse was the one I got from the tip of the HH on my inner elbow. Torch flame was out of course, but idiot me reach across it to get my coffee cup. Because of where that one was, it got infected and oozed like crazy. I had a bad reaction to a film-like bandage cover I put on it. This burn was dime sized but took 6 weeks to heal.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-07-05 at 11:43am.
Old 2010-07-05, 11:39am
one day at a time

OMG! I remember Ingrid's burns were the worse of all that I have seen. She first posted a pic of them shortly after when the blisters were huge and white. I didn't see these follow up pictures before with the sutures, but I'm almost sure she did show them to us before she had to have the procedure. Wow, that's awful!
Old 2010-07-05, 1:40pm
Scientific Glass Girl

last month at work, i had a hotplate on to melt some beeswax and this other wax we use to cut out plate glass.. and i picked up the beeswax container with a pair of gloves, turned poured it onto the board, put the plate down turned to the hotplate and didnt realize how close i was to it, and bumped my forearm onto the corner of it; its just healing up now. i think metal burns suck so much worse than glass burns. ugh. horrible.

Old 2010-07-05, 2:50pm
sunscreen me baby

Ali I have one on my under upper arm right now that is a big stripe from a cookie sheet. I had it in the oven at 500 cooking bagels and burned myself switching the sheets on the racks. It blistered and oozed. It will probably scar and I'll look like I was in a sword fight. It should detract from the old lady arm hang though

~

Old 2010-07-05, 5:34pm
Scientific Glass Girl

suzy i could see you in a sword fight. you would be badass!!

Old 2010-08-05, 6:25am

Ummm... newbie question here... why not wear gloves?
Old 2010-08-05, 8:58am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberfox View Post
Ummm... newbie question here... why not wear gloves?
Bulky, try turning a 1/8th inch mandrel with welding gloves on
Old 2010-08-05, 1:51pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Yep, kevlar gloves would be way too bulky. Any other gloves would be a fire hazard to your entire hand. Instead of burning a finger the whole glove could catch on fire. I just burnt myself pretty good a few days ago and am kind of uncomfortable with wearing a bandaid by the torch. This is the second time this year that I've burned myself pretty good. The mandrel with a hot bead slided down between my fingers. The worse one was about 6 months ago. I took my eye off the torch and had a mandrel in my hand and put my baby and ring finger in the flame. My hand will usually feel better after wrapped some ice in a towel and so I let my fingers rest on it, but not that time. I took a couple of vicodins and a sleeping pill so I could sleep. Probably should have went to the doctors. I kept in wrapped up for probably 3 weeks and changed the bandaid everyday and put Burt's on it. I sure hope I'm done burning myself this year.

Patsy

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-08-05 at 10:47pm.
Old 2010-08-05, 5:55pm
one day at a time

I could never wear gloves either, and try to imagine handling skinny 1/16" mandrels with bulky gloves! For doing much larger work than beads, off mandrel, and glass blowing, that's another story.
Old 2010-08-07, 7:52am

I just got the green stuff off of my latest burn. I caught the base of my thumb on the bead door last week. My skin stuck to the door. I have been doing my best to keep it clean and using my Rx burn cream. Still the so gross green stuff is coming out! May be time to go to the dr!
Old 2010-08-12, 4:18pm

Just thought I'd pop a suggestion up here for a first aid supply for treating burns.

It's called 2nd Skin (Moist Burn Pads) made by spenco.ca, we have them available in drug stores here.

I used these on my fingers when I had all four of my finger tips burnt (ranged from 1-3) and they really helped take down the pain and it felt like they helped heal the wounds faster. I wrapped non stick gauze around the finger first, then put a small square of the 2nd Skin then a bandage.
Old 2010-08-13, 3:56am
Taaa Daaaa

I had a terrible burn last October, no pics unfort, they went to laptop heaven with the old one. I was overtired and lost concentration after no sleep and 4 hrs at the torh and decided it would be fun to pass my hand into the flame. I burnt my thumb, piece of skin between thumb and pointer finger, and the whole side of pointer.. totally black and gross. The smell was pretty bad. I grabbed frozen peas and drove to the docs. It was wrapped for a week with daily treatment from them... worst thing was I was just 5 weeks preggas so couldn't take any pain meds good thing was the preggas hormones seemed to clear it up pretty quickly and have minimal scarring!!
Old 2010-08-13, 4:02am

Location: I live in Indiana but I'm from FancyTown where everything sparkles even the dirt.
Default Burns, cuts and other hazards

I am a newbie to lampworking but worked in the remodeling business for 16 years before I changed careers. I have severed my index finger (had it reattached), nearly severed another finger, stuck splinters in really deep in both hands and ankles, burned my hands on hot cutting machinery and saws. Got hot metal shavings on my scalp, down my shirt (the girls were quite unhappy), in my lap, and in my shoe. You can never have enough clothes covering up your skin or ever be too careful. A friend of mine lost 3 of her fingers on one hand to a wicked chop saw. I can't preach safety enough. Be careful my friends Murphy always hangs out where there is fun to be had.
Old 2010-08-13, 11:42am
Does it come in Purple???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilicaForge View Post
Just thought I'd pop a suggestion up here for a first aid supply for treating burns.

It's called 2nd Skin (Moist Burn Pads) made by spenco.ca, we have them available in drug stores here.

I used these on my fingers when I had all four of my finger tips burnt (ranged from 1-3) and they really helped take down the pain and it felt like they helped heal the wounds faster. I wrapped non stick gauze around the finger first, then put a small square of the 2nd Skin then a bandage.
I will second this whole-heartedly. Nexcare also makes a product called Tegaderm that looks like clear plastic.

Air is the enemy in burns and blisters and the crusting of the affected area. These sheets hold in the fluids and the burn will heal from the inside out and leave no scaring.

I burned (severely) my right hand from putting it in the torch and my skin was black. I used these and I have absolutely NO scaring on my hands and it was not painful. Since that time I have other burns and the Tegaderm is my go-to fix. I carry it with me to any type of torching event.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2010-08-13, 12:03pm

Default fix for an out of control arthritic wrist

i have had several really dumb burns torching.I had a big lighted magnifyer in front of my torch one time and was so busy turning the mandrel all around to decorate a bead that I ended up putting my fingers right in the flame.I burned off a corner of my index finger and charred my middle finger.I bumped my pinky knuckle against my rod warmer reaching for a new mandrel and the skin stuck to the warmer..its still there actually..lol..and drum roll..the last burn was caused by a flying chunk of glass that I reached down with tweezers to pick up off the melting rug..while I grabbed the flame to catch my balance.I stood in the kitchen with cool water running on my hand for an hour while I cried like a little boy Every time I took it out of the water..it hurt as bad as when I first burned it.That lasted for hours.I had an awkward left hand and wrist because my RA was getting worst and went to this drastic measure to be able to stabilize my wrist and still lampwork...I have a 1/2 by 6 inch Titanium rod somewhere in there and 2 weeks later I gradually started to make beads again..10 weeks ago now.No new burns..lol..
Attached Images

"

Old 2010-08-15, 11:21am

Location: I live in Indiana but I'm from FancyTown where everything sparkles even the dirt.

Ow, that looks like it really hurts. I hope it helps alleviate the instability for you and you are able to keep on keepin on.
Old 2011-01-02, 10:43am
Loving learning

OK, I just read this again to remind myself to be careful before I start melting glass, and I just have to say, OUCH!

(oh, and those of you who quoted the gross looking pictures and then said how queasy they made you: bad, bad, bad girls & boys!!! Now I'm queasy too!

Old 2011-01-02, 7:21pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations View Post
So for the past four years I've been pretty lucky, but I just my got worst burn about 10 minutes ago and thought immediately "I'd better get a picture to show the other glassfiends!" It also helps when giving demos and the safety talk

Sure it's not as bad as a lot here, but man is that tip cooked...

I was sculpting legs of a crab and rotated my piece to get a crab leg out of the flame and was listening to music... middle finger got it (the irony!)! Smells burned too, probably mostly the burnt-nail smell, but it's getting all hard at the tip. It's hurting, but I'm posting this first, then will go back to cold-watering it and maybe back to the torch if I put a band-aid on it or something to keep the heat away... Here ya go:
Pat, did the same thing, same finger different hand. The end turned hard and was a mini clicker when I pushed on it, click in, click out. Good news was it didn't hurt very long.

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-01-02, 8:05pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

These pictures are making me feel queasy.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-01-03, 9:25am
honorary bead lady

I've said this before but this thread reminds me of this...

http://movieclips.com/dAmtg-jaws-movie-scars/
Old 2011-01-03, 2:08pm

Did this one about 2 weeks ago when a piece of hot frit popped off a bead and hit me in the neck. Dropped the mandrel and automatically put hand to neck---right up through the flame. It's pretty much healed; it's at the "it really itches" phase.

Old 2011-03-13, 11:28pm
I speak Murrini!

NOTE TO SELF: While torching, NEVER turn to look over your shoulder at the TV behind you...even if they're showing a vortex type thing in the ocean off Japan after their terrible earthquake and Tsunami that makes you think they're saying the end of the world is eminent! Especially when you've been working for 2 hours on a Rose Murrini and it's 2" across and at least an hour away from being finished! How dumb am I? (Don't answer THAT!) As I turned to glance over my right shoulder, I moved my right hand, pointer finger, right into the flame! Youzers!!! I think it's time to put a little TV up in the corner above my bench...

Of course, because I work on a Hot Head and use MapPro canisters, I just stuck my finger right onto the "chilled" part of the canister and kept going! An hour later, when my murrini was done and pulled, I made a dash to the kitchen for Ibuprofen and an ice pack. It's a little better now, but I'm keeping it seriously wrapped and slathered with Ozonol, a high zinc ointment that I get from Canada; works WONDERS!

Dang it...I have my first official show (Glass Craft) in 2 1/2 weeks and I MUST make more stuff! Tomorrow it's time to make more murrini; get back on the horse and ride, right? I'll surely be more careful in the future!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2011-03-13 at 11:33pm.
Old 2011-03-14, 2:40pm

Got my first burn from torch working yesterday. Picked up the wrong end (glowing) of an 8mm rod of Symax off the rod rest. Both the pads of my thumb and index finger got burned pretty bad. I smelled the burning skin before I felt it. Worst burn I ever got, though, was from picking up the handle of a clad cooking pot that had just been in a 400F oven for an hour. Now that hurt!
Old 2011-03-25, 6:05pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
NEVER turn to look over your shoulder at the TV behind you...
De... Mirror

Old 2011-03-25, 8:20pm
Resident Luny

This isn't a burn one either, I am afraid, but it is hand related.

I did a stint as a tour manager back in '06. At the end of that year the tour expanded and I moved to asst. tour manager and merch chick. I had a giant flight case made out of wood on wheels that held all the shirts. One night in Denver I was selling shirts after the first band and before the second when I felt intense pain in my right ring finger. A 2mm splinter, if you can call it that at that size, more than 1/2 inch long went all the way under my nail back to the nail bed. I got a roadie to watch the merch and ran to the tour bus, trying to pry it out. It hurt worse and worse and worse. I eventually gave up, and went back into the venue, where both musicians were backstage together and they heard me in the bathroom repeating "FUCK FUCK FUCK!"
In the end it took one musician holding the afflicted hand steady so I wouldn't squirm, the other one trying to offer support by patting my head, and a sort of admin assistant type who managed to get it out with tweezers. That was SO awful. I understood then why bamboo under the fingernails was a method of torture.

When I started writing this I went looking for the photo I had.....can't find it. I took a photo (since people are marveling at the focus of this act, hahahah!) to show the #$@#% crew who made my flight case.

As for burns mine have been minor, the worst from leaning my wrist on a recently turned-off Lynx to reach for something back behind it. OUCH! I used lavender oil on it and it did help with the pain, no scar. Icky blister.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.

Last edited by lunesse; 2011-03-25 at 8:24pm.
Old 2011-03-26, 7:35pm
sorcerer

cut a finger out of a riggers leather glove and slip it over the dressing on your finger, tie it in place and you will be able to finish your stuff for the show
B

Old 2011-03-28, 4:17am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Uuuugh... is there a passing out smilie dude some where? I feel faint.
here you go
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy