LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-24, 10:34pm

Default Where does Moretti glass come from

I have a chance to do an Italian Festival, my ticket is that my little turtles are made from Moretti Glass. I want to say its from Murano but I am not sure. Could someone tell me what city the glass is actually made in. It would be just my luck that someone from Murano would be there and call me on it.

Thanks Jeff

Old 2010-08-24, 10:49pm

Murano is the island in Venice, Italy where Moretti glass is made

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Intarsia

Love Many, Trust Few, Hurt None
Old 2010-08-25, 1:39am

Cute turtle Jeff.

Moretti is no longer the name of the company, it's called Effetre. It's been that way for quite a while, not sure how long but I read somewhere ages ago that the company would prefer it if you called them by their correct name - Effetre. (The name change is from a family feud years ago. Moretti, I think, means '3 Brothers'. Well after this feud, one brother went his own way and opened up Vetrofond...So, I think that's why they're very particular with the right name.)

The Effetre factory is on the island of Murano. Murano sits in a lagoon very close to Venice. Historically, all the glass furnaces were moved from Venice to Murano for a few reasons, one being for fire hazard safety. They didn't want Venice to accidentally burn down!

Vetrofond company is not on Murano. They are located in another suburb/town which I am not sure if it's part of Venice or not. Offilia and Mike would know. But it's fairly close to Venice - an easy drive.

So, if you work with Effetre then you could say it's made with Murano glass or glass from Murano. Even say Moretti glass or agree with them if they ask if it's Moretti.

You could probably get away with saying the same about Vetrofond glass. I would say it's Venetian glass for Vetrofond-made products. Not many people really know the difference and it would bore most. But if you happen to meet a person from Venice or someone really curious then you could be more specific.

It doesn't hurt to know a little bit of background to the glass. And I don't think anyone would question you on it - they'd be pretty mean if they did!!

Here's a map of Murano. Zoom out a little and you will see Venice (Venezia).
http://66.39.97.197/venice/articles/murano_maps.htm

Also, correct me if I'm wrong with the above information! I'd hate to be spouting incorrect stuff.

Cheers
Old 2010-08-25, 3:31am
BeadsonCypress

Actually it is called Effetre (prounced ef -e- tray short e's) I have been corrected and been working on pronoucing it correctly after mispronouncing it for years. There is a history but Moretti is the "old" name. Check some of the Mike Frantz or Ofilia Cinta threads for the complete history!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-25, 3:32am
BeadsonCypress

oops...sorry sparks, I wrote before I read.....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-25, 3:53am

Love your turtle!

You should post more of your work here!!
Old 2010-08-25, 1:20pm
Biscuit Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Cute turtle Jeff.

Moretti is no longer the name of the company, it's called Effetre. It's been that way for quite a while, not sure how long but I read somewhere ages ago that the company would prefer it if you called them by their correct name - Effetre. (The name change is from a family feud years ago. Moretti, I think, means '3 Brothers'. Well after this feud, one brother went his own way and opened up Vetrofond...
I would guess that it's Effetre, not Moretti, that means 3 brothers, because the letter F is pronounced 'effe', and brothers are 'fratelli'...and tre means three. I have been listening to an intro Italian cd when I'm driving
Old 2010-08-25, 2:38pm

F 3

Tre fratelli. Effe is the letter "F" pronounced in Italian, and "tre" is just the number 3. Tre is "three". -> Effe-tre. Which means just 3 "F". This is just "F3" pronounced in Italian.

Got it?
Greetings from the ALSO Italian speaking part of Switzerland
Martina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2010-08-25, 4:14pm
Creatrixie

Interesting info... what a cute turtle, Jeff. You should share more pics of your Creations!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-08-26, 1:41am

Thank you my friends the information is most helpfull. I was told to look Italian for this festival but that may be difficult since I am from Oklahoma and tend to say "yall" alot.
Yes I really should post more of my turtles since some are coming out really neat. I am somewhat embarassed since all I do are turtles, its all I want to do. Anything else I get resistance. Its as if the giant turtle is looking down and saying, nope, you are not done with turtles yet. Turtle on.

Thanks again my friends Jeff
Old 2010-08-26, 6:36am
honorary bead lady

From a post by Mike Frantz...

Vetrofond Light Ivory

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try not to bore you with the history of glass production at Vetrofond, but historically Vetrofond was making blown lamps and other objects of art long before they began producing glass rods. I have one of their rejected light fixtures that was blown in a mold and the finished size is about 4 foot tall with a diameter of around 8 inches with multiple layers and about half an inch thick. Light shades like this might be found hanging in some of the most beautiful buildings in the world. The Vetrofond factory has a very unique and secret way of blowing glass which I am not allowed to mention, and even the photos I can take at the factory are limited.

I do not actually know the date they obtained the production equipment for the glass rod making that they have at this time, but I might assume that it was in the late 80's or even the early 90's. Next time I am at the factory I will ask Mr. Moretti. And before you start wondering, the Mr. Moretti of Vetrofond has no connection to the glass company name of Moretti, the name Moretti is common in Italy.

The first time I visited Murano and was on my first visit to Moretti (now Effetre) I was greeted by Mr. Fausto that was the plant manager. I actually have written a poem about that experience and one day I will share that experience with everyone.

Then I heard that Fausto left Moretti and began to work at Vetrofond and he solicited me for business to buy glass rods from Vetrofond and many years later I did purchase Vetrofond Glass, long after Mr. Fausto had passed away.

Vetrofond has a magazine (an outlet shop on Murano, not open to the public) but if you were to knock at the door, you probably would be able to come in and look around as the managers they have had while I visited have been so kind and nice.

It was only a few years ago that the young man that operated the shop was tragically killed in an accident (not related to work). Soon a new person was running the shop and he is a very nice person as well.

While you will see many shops in Murano and Venice using 5-6mm rods, you will find the majority of glass artists using the 11-12 opaque and 13-14mm transparent sized rods. When I go to one special beadmaker and ask him to make a bead out of a new Effetre color rod, he will take 3 of the 5-6mm rods and tape them together so they have the size and feel of a larger diameter rod because that is what most artists use. In American and many other parts of the world, beadmakers use the 5-6mm, but in Italy you will see a large number using the larger rods, and with the help of a porta cana, the glass artist has large diameters rods heated and almost dripping and ready to use.

Ok, I guess I have gotten away from a quick and short answer to where the rods are.......I continue.

When I first visited Vetrofond and entered their magazine, there were rods of many diameters, but the majority was larger. The number of colors in the 5-6mm size were very limited. For me to get them to make any color in a 5-6mm size, I had to commit to buying a production which was anywhere between 1,400 and 2,200 pounds! Now when you multiply 2000 pounds times 100 colors (or more) I ended up with a huge building of glass.

The economy has been bad for everyone, including me you and everyone else, and Vetrofond is no exception. With the world's economy declining for many, paychecks have shrunk or vanished and many of the glass than Vetrofond manufactures goes into high end retail shop in New York and into large buildings for lighting and the demand has gotten smaller and the need for glass on Murano for glass artist has also diminished.

So for one, the economy has kept Vetrofond from producing glass, and this has also effected Effetre, Costco, and the Pizza place around your corner. Less demand equals less production and less production means no more light ivory.
Old 2010-08-26, 6:39am
honorary bead lady

Here is another History post by Mike...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=16