No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-23, 3:42am

Thanks Lunamoon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-23, 4:33am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
it *should* as it's a reduction effect. It makes FANTASTIC SHARDS--they silver right up incredibly on a bigger torch with just a dash of reduction, so I'd say just "cover the holes" on your hothead (my method was the "tinfoil collar" trick when I worked on mine @ home) & you should get a fairly instant reaction.

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to ordering the new Metallic Black and trying it on the Hothead! Their new video really helped me too.

Do you know - should I get a complete silver effect from using stringers (using it to accent) or must it be a larger amount of surface glass to turn silver?
Old 2009-10-23, 5:01am
Wahwahbabypants

I was gifted a bundle of unlabelled Devardi to try (thanks you know who you are!) I've only started to play with it and gravitated to the pinks. The transparent pink (kinda a light cranberry) melted beautifully with no issues. Then I tried the opaque baby pink and SHOCK city. Exact same working conditions during the same torch session so no other variable had changed. I am not exaggerating when I say the entire rod wound up as frit on my work surface. I haven't tried any other rods yet. I'll give them all a 'go' but for me personally, I don't know if I'd buy any. Granted I haven't run across any shocky rods from other lines but I know they exist too. More playing needed.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-10-23, 6:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Thank you for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to ordering the new Metallic Black and trying it on the Hothead! Their new video really helped me too.

Do you know - should I get a complete silver effect from using stringers (using it to accent) or must it be a larger amount of surface glass to turn silver?
Nope, you should get it from stringers too--same deal--just reduce it!

(and for "frit on a stick"--try pre-warming it, or pre-annealing it if you've got a kiln, or if all else fails, you can always smash it up & use it AS frit ...generally that means there's airbubbles running the length of the entire rod--I've got some lovely moretti opal yellow & copper green @ $$ a pound that does that........whole freakin' batches of it seem to have been pulled that way....)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-10-23, 6:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcb View Post
The transparent pink (kinda a light cranberry) melted beautifully with no issues. Then I tried the opaque baby pink and SHOCK city. Exact same working conditions during the same torch session so no other variable had changed. I am not exaggerating when I say the entire rod wound up as frit on my work surface.

I had the same thing happen the first few times. I had a terrible time and got angry as I saw entire rods shatter and turn to shards.

Then I watched their video and preheated and MADE myself hold it at the very outer end of the flame, rotating it until it began to change colors. Don't move it forward at all until it changes colors out there!

When I actually DID what they say to do on the videos I had no more frit or shattering with any color I've used.

And if you pull thick stringers for smaller work you really have no preheating needed and there's no shattering.

Hope that encourages you.
Old 2009-10-23, 6:25am

lol the rods that I lose to shock ARE turned into frit and work beautifully that way. And warming them up on high in a crock pot of vermiculite really seems to help. I will be using my kiln to pre warm as soon as it gets here. And I have had some other rods from other brands blow up too so for me, at that price, I am willing to work with it.

Old 2009-10-23, 6:32am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcb View Post
I was gifted a bundle of unlabelled Devardi to try (thanks you know who you are!) I've only started to play with it and gravitated to the pinks. The transparent pink (kinda a light cranberry) melted beautifully with no issues. Then I tried the opaque baby pink and SHOCK city. Exact same working conditions during the same torch session so no other variable had changed. I am not exaggerating when I say the entire rod wound up as frit on my work surface. I haven't tried any other rods yet. I'll give them all a 'go' but for me personally, I don't know if I'd buy any. Granted I haven't run across any shocky rods from other lines but I know they exist too. More playing needed.
Lol. You obviously have never tried Effetre Anise White! Lovely color but definitely frit in a stick. I also have a batch of Sage and a batch of Dark Pink from a few years ago that have bubbles running the entire length and the only way to use them is to preheat and re-pull (just preheating doesn't work). Talk about frustrating?! ugh!

Old 2009-10-23, 7:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Shock protection question

Could any of you tell me what you do to introduce rods and protect yourself/your clothes from Shock Attacks?

I bet we could see some interesting differences and ideas. What do you do?
Old 2009-10-23, 8:29am

I just wear high collars, long pants, and lean backwards. I still wind up with it on the inside of my arms sometimes, and even a few decent burns, but this way makes me think I'm helping avoid it.

I have to say, at least the devardi instantly becomes frit when it's going to do it. There's a couple of other colors that wait until you think it's going to melt just fine....then explode in your face. Handpulled, pricey colors, too!
Old 2009-10-23, 8:59am

Here are two videos on Devardi Glass that show how to get started without causing the glass to be shocky.

http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#p/u/6/YKAmq72PYL0

http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#p/u/3/rH7MtJos4Pk

On the clothing, I always wear cotton or some other fabric that won’t melt.
Old 2009-10-23, 10:04am

Last night I encased some goldstone with the dark rose color. It is killer! I wish I could take decent pics so that you all could see it. But I highly recommend trying it!
Old 2009-10-23, 10:13am
Live and Let Live

Can't wait for the 28th and the new shipment to arrive! I'm loving this glass.

Old 2009-10-23, 10:39am

I preheat my rods and start out way at the top the the flame and slowly bring them down into the working area. Last night I had an instant frit moment of my own except it wasn't Devardi glass, it was opal yellow that goes for $1.85 a rod. Half of the rod shattered away in my hand before I could say, what the? It scared the hell out of me, then I just got pissed.
I trained myself early on to point the rods I have in the flame, down at the table, if something pops, no harm done. Although one day my husband happened to walk through the door and just missed getting zapped!!!
Old 2009-10-24, 6:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Any Encasing/Layering Advice?

I have struggled with encasing with clear. I always spread my design.

I have gone to using stringers of clear to carefully wrap around the bead to an even thickness, but I still get some spread.

Does anyone care to share what they do?

Also I just cannot layer the petals and get them to stay sharp - any advice?
Old 2009-10-24, 7:26am

When you encase, you have to make sure that you heat your bead up thoroughly and then let a "skin" form on the outside. At this point, the bead stays all the way OUT of the flame, and the encasement rod is directly through the flame. I encase with the wrapping method so, when you are encasing, the clear rod you are holding should be really mooooshy hot and you should be rotating it very slowly while wrapping so the rod stays fluid all the way around. With practice, you should be able to wrap the whole length of the bead. In the beginning, you might have to stop halfway through and heat up the bead again. Then the bead goes back into the flame for finishing. Heating the bead up in the beginning, should give it enough internal heat to stay out of the flame for the duration of the encasement when you get faster and more used to it.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I have struggled with encasing with clear. I always spread my design.

I have gone to using stringers of clear to carefully wrap around the bead to an even thickness, but I still get some spread.

Does anyone care to share what they do?

Also I just cannot layer the petals and get them to stay sharp - any advice?

Last edited by glassactcc; 2009-10-24 at 7:29am.
Old 2009-10-24, 7:47am
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
I have to say, at least the devardi instantly becomes frit when it's going to do it. There's a couple of other colors that wait until you think it's going to melt just fine....then explode in your face. Handpulled, pricey colors, too!
Effetre Sedona!

Old 2009-11-03, 7:07pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

THANK YOU! I can really visualize what you are telling me to do!

Here are some bears I just made for fun with Devardi colors. I can't wait for the new shipment to be available this Friday!

The glass has such great sculptural uses due to it's stiffness. I just encased a goldfish I 'painted' using Devardi glass and it didn't smear at all! That's a first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
When you encase, you have to make sure that you heat your bead up thoroughly and then let a "skin" form on the outside. In the beginning, you might have to stop halfway through and heat up the bead again. Then the bead goes back into the flame for finishing. Heating the bead up in the beginning, should give it enough internal heat to stay out of the flame for the duration of the encasement when you get faster and more used to it.

Hope this helps.
Old 2009-11-03, 7:23pm

So has anyone tried the Devardi clear on a hot head? I get terrible scumming with moretti clear, Lauscha clear works perfectly but has a real tendency to crack. My kiln hasn't arrived yet, I am hoping the cracking issue clears up once I have it but would love to find a less expensive alternative.

Old 2009-11-03, 7:54pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
Effetre Sedona!
I just had a major frit bomb with a rod of Vetro Cosmic Storm! None of the Devardi I've used has been quite that violent. The rod looked fine, felt smooth, melted fine for the first 2 inches or so, then BAM!

Old 2009-11-03, 9:30pm

Love the bears Kristina !! Making up my new shopping list, I see some new colors that I'm dying to try. Is the brown bear made with their med brown color so many people liked? I'm ordering that color and I see they've added a dark brown that looks very nice too. That semi op peach, yum , the cranberry and burgandy, oh, there goes all my money...
Old 2009-11-04, 6:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Love the bears Kristina !! Making up my new shopping list, I see some new colors that I'm dying to try. Is the brown bear made with their med brown color so many people liked? I'm ordering that color and I see they've added a dark brown that looks very nice too. That semi op peach, yum , the cranberry and burgandy, oh, there goes all my money...
Yes, it's their Opaque Medium Brown. It's a beautiful (Beary-nice) color. Here are pics of 2 bears made with it.

I am also pulling all the colors of Devardi into stringers because painting and sculpting on beads with them is incredible. They stay put and hold up under the flame. I got a box of shorts to get a large number of colors and I am having a blast with them.

I just did a test goldfish bead with the Devardi Stringers using Moretti clear stringers to wrap/encase. There was NO smearing in the fish. What a first! The shape of the Fish Bowl needs work, but you can see the fish stayed tight!

I haven't fired or cleaned the beads yet - sorry for the Vermiculite dust on the bear. I wanted to show the pic!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2009-11-04 at 6:07am.
Old 2009-11-09, 3:01pm
I fart diamonds

So I FINALLY lit my torch for the 1st time in months to try out a few more of the Devardi stash I have lying around. OMG!!! I am freakin' in LOVE with the Jade!! And 1 of the blues! They're unlabled rods, but I think it's the Violet Blue. Why oh why must I order more glass when I don't even use what I already have??!!

(I ordered Jade, Violet Blue, Metallic Black, Salmon, Medium Brown, Marine Green & Saffron.)

Old 2009-11-09, 3:29pm

I just did a test bead on the super clear. I have major issues with some other clears on my hothead with scumming and burning. This melted perfectly clear for me! Next step is to try encasing with it and see if there is any cracking problems.

Old 2009-11-09, 3:31pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I'm waiting for their new shipment goodies too. We just adopted 3 little ones in August so most of our free time has evaporated, but when I get that much needed check-out time it's "Torch Time"!

Let's post pics when we get some things made from the new glass!

Our 3 cuties:
Old 2009-11-09, 3:47pm

I ordered some of the dichro...I haven't ever tried moretti dichro, just a little BE that I burned the snot out of, lol. I wish it'd been on transparent, but I did get a few ounces. Plus some ivory, I think.
Old 2009-11-09, 4:50pm

What cuties! It looks like you definitely have your hands full! I just got my new glass order in today (it had the clear in it) and managed to snag the burgandy's the jade, the turquoise and the denim blue to name a few. Oh and the really deep chocolate brown. I will post what I got done tonight although I didn't use any of the new colors I got except the clear. I did use a beautiful deep transparent purple and a lovely semi opaque orangey color with butterscotch though.

Old 2009-11-09, 6:38pm

I got my glass order too ! I have used the dichro, watch the video they did on working with it. My first bead was sketchy (operator error, not the glass) but every one since then has been better, it's really beautiful stuff!! Some of the other colors I got are the 2 pink colors, OMG they are gorgeous and the rods are pencil thin. They melt so nice. Hey Sonja, I got some of that really dark choc brown, I love it. Also got the burnt carmel, cranberry, opaque burgandy, semi opaque blue green, transparent sunset red, light opaque peach, and med brown, I'm missing a couple but can't think right now. I honestly haven't gotten any colors that I don't like. Shawnette, I'm going to order some of that jade!!! I just wanted to hear someone raving about it , thanks!!! I have a kiln full of beads right now and can hardly wait until morning. When everyone gets their orders please keep sharing your favorite colors !! And thanks to those who have.
Old 2009-11-10, 9:39am
paminmd

Congratulations !
They are beautiful! What a blessing.
Pam

Quote:
I'm waiting for their new shipment goodies too. We just adopted 3 little ones in August so most of our free time has evaporated, but when I get that much needed check-out time it's "Torch Time"!

Let's post pics when we get some things made from the new glass!

Our 3 cuties:
Old 2009-11-10, 7:39pm

Okay here is the red with butterscotch and the dark transparent rose. No laughing at the beads lol, keep in mind that I am still very new to this.

Old 2009-11-10, 8:24pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
So I FINALLY lit my torch for the 1st time in months to try out a few more of the Devardi stash I have lying around. OMG!!! I am freakin' in LOVE with the Jade!! And 1 of the blues! They're unlabled rods, but I think it's the Violet Blue. Why oh why must I order more glass when I don't even use what I already have??!!

(I ordered Jade, Violet Blue, Metallic Black, Salmon, Medium Brown, Marine Green & Saffron.)
Wow! Shawnette... I ordered everything that you did except the Brown! Great minds??? _______________________________________________Nah . LOL

Jack

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi