Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-09, 6:08am
BeadsonCypress

The only color I found to be really shocky is the light lime green

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-08-09, 7:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
On the Annealing Bubbles - do they have any dust? Do you like them?

Thank you Drafly!
I didn't use a fiber blanket or vermiculite first, so I can't do a comparison. I will say that I love the bubbles! I haven't lost many beads to thermal cracks at all and there is no dust or mess. I do think they will have to be replaced eventually because the do get crushed.

I started beadmaking with a class where we put the beads directly into a kiln. As that is not feasable for my home set up, I did some research and determined that the annealing bubbles would be the best bet. I think I was right!
Old 2009-08-09, 9:46am
Artistically Absorbed

Default got my package

Thanks Folly for the tip on annealing the rods, I wont waste my time with putting them in the kiln then. I have a George Foreman grill to preheat rods with. Is it just the larger diameter rods and the really wonky ones that are shocky? Or are the regular size rods shocky too(4-6mm)? I really like some of the colors that I got, the purples are really nice and I also like the champange, salmon and the black amber looks really dark but thinned down it looks like a great color. The pink aren't as pretty as I had hoped, but they are still not bad. I haven't had the chance to torch with them yet but it looks promising. I do however have to agree about the wonkiness of some of the rods, but for $5.99 a pound for any color, and they are some nice colors, I'm happy. -Echo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2009-08-09, 10:37am

Personally, I've found the thinner rods to be more shocky than the really thick ones-which is opposite the way it normally works, lol. My big old thick scary rods hardly lose a sliver, and the thinner rods turn themselves into frit.
Old 2009-08-10, 6:40am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default New Devardi Video on Avoiding Shockiness

Devardi Glass just put up a neat new video on avoiding shock. It is at

http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#play/uploads

On my Hothead Torch I have to hold a new pre-heated rod about 4-6" away from the torch rolling it or dabbing it in and out of the flame until it begins to change colors, since I can't turn my torch down to such a small flame. Then I can move it in to the working area of the flame.
Old 2009-09-08, 8:25pm

the salmon was so shocky it is frit .That is the only color I have tried and it was dreadful.
Old 2009-09-09, 2:44pm

I love the salmon. It's one of my favorites. Just turn the flame down and heat the rod slowly and it's not shocky at all. If you watch the video Fine Folley posted a link to above, the salmon is used in the video. Here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#play/uploads
Old 2009-09-12, 5:22am

Not sure it's worth it? I don't want to spend the time warming rods I work pretty quick and it really slows you down.
Old 2009-09-12, 11:40am
Ad astra per aspera

If you have a kiln with a bead door, and can balance them, try preheating your rods in your kiln, or on top of it.

Old 2009-09-12, 3:14pm

I tried a color that had decided to be frit in stick form with another rod, and had no issues. I'll be getting a curling iron rod warmer thing for working with Devardi-some of the colors aren't in the other palettes, and I intend to keep them in mine.
Old 2009-09-12, 3:57pm
Artistically Absorbed

Default I also love the colors!!!

I haven't had time to try them all, but there sure are some great colors that are missing from the palette. -Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2009-09-14, 12:47am
Ad astra per aspera

I'm crazy-in-love with one of the darker blues. It's opaque or semi-opaque, looks almost Navy Blue in rod form, is a bit shocky, but OMG when you make a bead from it, it's luscious--somewhere between a new, dark, denim jeans blue and a true navy blue. It's streaky-ish, and heat-sensitive but worth the extra effort. There's no other blue in any 104 palette quite like it. It reminds me of Lauscha Wedgewood Blue, but it's still darker and a more pure blue. Baby it, you'll be glad.

The Citrine transparent is still one of my major favorites. It's a bit bubbly, but such a rich, vibrant yellow. It's terrific etched, too!

Old 2009-09-14, 7:14am
Lampworkaholic!

I tried Devardi for the first time this weekend. I got 7 colors and some free gift rods (thanks Natasha). Mixed experience so far. I can deal with slowly introducing a rod but when pieces keep popping off mid-bead it's not so good. Too early to generalize but so far the semi-opaque and the transparent are more user friendly than the opaque.

I got some Marine Green that looks just like the Vetro Ocean that is so prized, will see how it melts. The colors I tried so far are the Salmon, Butterscotch, Dark Rose and Tropical Green, also an unmarked rod of pastel pink that had a rough texture and behaved badly.

Other colors I got are Saffron, Violet and several unmarked colors, a semi red-orange, a tranparent purple, a pastel rust and a pale transparent pink. Will report back.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-09-14, 7:21am

I love the butterscotch! It is great for organic beads.
Old 2009-09-14, 7:35am
Does that shed?

I have an electric frying pan that I put two layers of fiber blanket in. Turn up the heat, snuggle the ends of my rods in between the layers of fiber blanket and let warm up. Once they are warm I have very little shocking issues. Easy peasy.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2009-09-14, 7:57am
Lampworkaholic!

A problem I have is that my studio is about 99 degrees in the shade, and my work space is on the small side. Adding another heating element in the summer makes torching that much more miserable. So I may put aside some of the shockier glass for wintertime, when I freeze in the studio (working in layers, a hat, a heater at my feet, etc.). A rod warmer will be a welcome addition then!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-09-14, 9:07am

Default some good news about devardiglass...yeah!!!!!

Hi everyone, I'd really like to thank the person who came up with the idea of talking about this glass and being "nice" about it. Possibly other glass sellers are scared of the new glass kids on the block. I cannot believe the downright hateful things I've read. Anyway, I'm new to lampworking and I really believe LampworkEtc. is by far the best website for learning. I just ordered glass from Devardi yesterday and am so excited to start working with it. Thank you to everyone who has worked with it and posted results, as I based my color choices by the colors you were happy with. I use a hot head so we'll see what I can do with this glass. I've had other brands of glass that were terribly shocky also, and had to grind them up into frit. I can remember a particular batch of pea green that kicked my butt.
When I get my glass and start playing with it I will happily report the results I get. and again, many thanks to all of you who really make an effort for this forum to be a fun place to hang out.
Old 2009-09-14, 12:51pm

I doubt the venders are worried about a glass that is so shocky as to becomes frit with the simple act of sticking it in the flame. also I'm not here to bash anyone I purchased some and tried it for myself. so I'm free to speak my mind. I tested some and if I find fault I'll share my results.
Donning armour to use a glass is an option ?
Old 2009-09-14, 1:20pm

Yellowbird, I don’t think baby firefly was talking about you. I think she was referring to a different thread, maybe even a different forum where they were criticizing the glass for little reason, perhaps only to hurt the sellers. Your criticism was valid. Even the website says the glass can be shocky if you don’t slowly heat it.

What I’ve found is that a few of the colors can be shocky. Most I would say are not. If you lower the heat and heat the rods slowly, they are usually not shocky.

Personally, I love the glass. I think a lot of people do. You just have to adjust to it. That takes time. Once you know what it does, it works well. It’s a stiffer glass. The colors are great. The beads come out nice, and it’s rather inexpensive. Plus the sellers are very dedicated. I can’t ask for more. But everyone’s input is valuable, as long as it’s constructive.

Last edited by Firemagic; 2009-09-15 at 11:25am. Reason: too long
Old 2009-09-14, 2:03pm
Semi Retired

Sounds luscious. I love streaky colors. I received a transparent blue with my first order of mixed shorts a while back . Loved it and Natasha (the sweet girl that she is) sent me a rod each of all her transparent blues but unfortunately I am still looking. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I'm crazy-in-love with one of the darker blues. It's opaque or semi-opaque, looks almost Navy Blue in rod form, is a bit shocky, but OMG when you make a bead from it, it's luscious--somewhere between a new, dark, denim jeans blue and a true navy blue. It's streaky-ish, and heat-sensitive but worth the extra effort. There's no other blue in any 104 palette quite like it. It reminds me of Lauscha Wedgewood Blue, but it's still darker and a more pure blue. Baby it, you'll be glad.
!

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-09-15, 8:40am
yoga citta vritti nirodha

I just tried this glass and I really love the opaque brown, transparent pinks and purples. A true milk chocolate color on the brown. As far as the shock factor; I did not find it to be any more apt to shock than some of the Vetrofond Odds. You just have to work much cooler and slower on the warm up. I stick my rods in my crock pot with the vermiculite and they warm quite nice. Since almost all lampworking glass is imported, I think this is a great value for the $.

Old 2009-09-15, 9:49am
Ad astra per aspera

Elizabeth, just a hint with the Marine Green (which I love, too). If you have experience with Effetre opalinos, treat it the same way. The less you tool it and the less you reheat it, the more it stays opal. It's a really lovely color no matter how it comes out

Old 2009-09-15, 11:31am

Here's a couple beads. The first is the Salmon base with Butterscotch and Transparent Cranberry. The second is the Transparent Purple. Thanks.

Name:  Sal.JPG
Views: 1964
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  Pur.JPG
Views: 2016
Size:  71.9 KB
Old 2009-09-15, 4:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemagic View Post
Yellowbird, I don’t think baby firefly was talking about you. I think she was referring to a different thread, maybe even a different forum where they were criticizing the glass for little reason, perhaps only to hurt the sellers. Your criticism was valid. Even the website says the glass can be shocky if you don’t slowly heat it.

What I’ve found is that a few of the colors can be shocky. Most I would say are not. If you lower the heat and heat the rods slowly, they are usually not shocky.

Personally, I love the glass. I think a lot of people do. You just have to adjust to it. That takes time. Once you know what it does, it works well. It’s a stiffer glass. The colors are great. The beads come out nice, and it’s rather inexpensive. Plus the sellers are very dedicated. I can’t ask for more. But everyone’s input is valuable, as long as it’s constructive.
Well hell. I am new to lampworking, well sort of and I find this true of ANY glass that one is new to.

I have had some Moretti shock all over the place, Lauscha clear crack all over the place when silver glass used or mesh of any kind.

Seems all have issues, none are problem free......not even Boro or Bullseye.

Boro I am REAL new to and I am reading of issues right now on the Boro forum here.....

Anyway, love the colors I am seeing and of course the wonderful BEADS.

have fun!!! thats what really counts
Old 2009-09-15, 5:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

Karen before I read your note I found out about the Marine green. I made a cat and it is almost opaque, sort of graduated and still pretty, just nothing like the two round spacers I made of the same glass. I love working with Opalines so this is just another good challenge.

Old 2009-09-19, 8:05am

yellowbird, I wasn't picking on you. This glass maybe isn't for all people and I can certainly see problems for glassworkers who need to work fast because warming the rods truly does help. I am new to lampworking and new to this forum of talking to people about things, I was referring to another thread that in my opinion was a collective gangbanging of these people. They honestly represent what they sell to the point that they almost try to talk you out of buying it, you can't expect more than that out of any seller. I know Natasha wants to hear all constructive information about their glass, so they can work to improve it. I used the butterscotch and absolutely love it. I used big whoppin rods, thin rods, all with no problems, but I work on a HH maybe that makes a difference. I used med trans rose, salmon, olive trans, trans med amethyst, opaque lilac, all with no problems. I based my color choices on what other people were raving about and that's why I wanted to thank people because they were ever so helpful. I wasn't picking on you. If you have problems with it then you are entitled to say so.
Old 2009-09-20, 9:09am
Lampworkaholic!

I have had some mixed experience. Pre-warming is fine but when a rod keeps fracturing off mid bead, the pre-warming doesn't do much good So far the only rods that have fractured are the free gift ones.

The real problem for me is working with the larger diameter (and off-round) rods. I find it difficult no matter who the glassmaker is. If I am trying to wind a long bead I always trap bubbles. I like to rotate the rod as well as the mandrel when I wind and that is difficult with large oval rods.

Some of the Devardi colors are really beautiful, I'd rather pay more and have more consistent sizes and 5-7mm diameters. At $6 a lb there is a lot of room to improve the rods and still sell the glass for a low price. I'd happily pay double ($12) for a lb. of standard size lampwork rods.

Old 2009-09-20, 9:16am
Ad astra per aspera

I know some of the batches are completely wonky, but I save the worst of the worst for pulling stringer. The nice thing is that fat rods will give you some decently thick stringer (something I use often), so it's kind of a bonus. Making lemonade on my bargains.

Old 2009-09-20, 12:33pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I'm wondering for those that have ordered if they ever have all the colors available? I've thought about ordering and every time I go to the site they are out of so many color.s

Old 2009-09-20, 3:26pm

sign up for the newsletter. When the new shipment comes in, the folks on the newsletter get notified first. I've ordered twice when they had all the colors, but I did it promptly when they opened it up for purchasing.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi