Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-04-20, 8:06pm

Default I need some ventilation help!

I am trying to create a studio space in my garage and I am very concerned about the air flow. I used to work at a studio that had a supposedly good system, but it was really just a show piece and I had some issues from exposure to exhaust. I don't know if I'm overly sensitive to fumes, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

I've read a lot of info in the past few weeks and have been looking at several fans and hood options. I have read Mike Aurelius' ventilation primer and have been considering a few hood designs. I have plenty of power supply, roughly 60-80amps of free circuit breaker space with both 240 and 120 volt outlets. I have a Paragon F-120 kiln wired for 120V and a GTT Lynx.

I'm thinking of putting my bench in the corner to make for easy venting. I'm trying to design the fume hood to accommodate that plan and keep things in a reasonable budget. Originally I was going to vent through the wall, but after talking to my brother, who has a little HVAC experience, he says go through the roof. If vented thru the wall, it would be about 10ft from our screened porch and he said it might contaminating that area. But roof work scares me! So many things can go wrong with a badly sealed roof opening.

I just need some direction! I want to do this right and not damage my house.

If I vent thru the wall, will the exhaust contaminate our porch? Would the roof vent be the better plan?

Also, I was looking at an 8in fan that will pull 720CFM, I thought it would be sufficient, but now I'm thinking its too small. Will this work for me?

What is the minimum distance from the wall for my torch?

Last edited by Binks; 2014-04-20 at 8:19pm.
Old 2014-04-21, 7:50am
Gentleman of Leisure

You could go through wall and then put on 90° bend then go up..... Just allow a little bit more CFM for static pressure created by bend and extra length... Also may want o consider increasing duct size to larger if extra length concerns you...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...6ebd43deae8db6

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=273

Fan size is dictated by face opening of hood and size/length of duct work.... you have to do the math first then select fan size ....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-04-21, 7:54am
Lifelong Student

Dale, I've been wondering about the same thing. Thanks for the links, great info
Old 2014-04-21, 9:59am

Dale,

Thank you so much! I really think the exterior vertical pipe will be a much better option. I won't need much vertical to clear the gable and have proper drafting. This option would also make it possible to have a fresh air vent under my work top. I can put the intake on the same wall and not worry about cross contamination.

I'm really excited to get under way with this project, I haven't been able to work at the torch for over a year. My husband and I bought this house for its studio friendly features, but I was restricted from building it until I had finished redoing the basement floor and making a den. It was our agreement, he knew if I had my studio, nothing in the house would be fixed, lol. I'm the handy person and he's the management!