Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-05, 10:05pm

Default I'm stuck..please help!!!

Okay, I have been working on this for 3 days now. I am making cap beads for shawl pins. My process:

1: triple dip my mandrel in Fireworks flame dry bead release
2: Dry release slowly and fully (no chipping)
3: Apply large blob of glass near tip of mandrel
4: Hold vertically and spin slowly to get a teardrop that hangs off end of mandrel covering tip and leaving only one hole for later application to stick part of the pin
5: teardrop will not release from mandrel once cool

I have no idea why this is not working when I have no problem getting beads off any other time. This is rather important as I have to get a 10 unit sampling of these things done by friday. any help on removal would be greatly appreciated. thank you!
Old 2011-04-06, 12:34am
Bonkers about glass.....

I don't use that particular brand of bead release, but what has helped me in the past is soaking the mandrel/bead in fairly hot water with some dishwasher liquid added. And you dont need to soak for too long, usually 10 - 20 mins is enough.
Then you need good lock jaw pliers, so the mandrel doesnt turn when you try to twist the bead loose. For some stubborn beads, I may have to repeat this process a couple of times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marlene
Old 2011-04-06, 12:35am
It's all about the color.

Those kind are more difficult to get off, but it can be done. First, switch to a better bead release. I use Fusion and it works great for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-04-06, 4:56am
Glass-aholic

I agree about the bead release. But this could also be the triple dip is causing your release to break, and fusing your glass to your rod, when the glss is 'dripping' down to the shape you want. If you have a picture of what you are making exactly we may wither be able to find you a better method... or have a suggestion. I would just like to know what they look like

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-04-06, 6:26am

I use the Fireworks brand and have for over 5 years. (I'm getting ready to switch to Fusion due to breaking issues, too many spinners.)

I've never even double dipped with this brand. I good single dip should be all you need. I've made several at the end of the mandrel and have never had one not come off. I use my stained glass running pliers to hold the mandrel (the ones with the plastic ends), not side to side of course but, as straight front to back as you can get it so the mandrel doesn't bend. Then I take one of those grippy jar openers to hold the bead. Mine usually come right off.

Good luck.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-04-06, 6:35am
Hobby Junkie

I agree that you issue is probably the triple dip. The thicker the release, the greater risk for cracking and having the glass stick to the mandrel. I use really watered down bead release when making BHB's or boro beads because of this. I learned the hard way and have some very beautiful plant stakes in my garden.

I also have to suggest switching to Fusion. Love the stuff!

Old 2011-04-06, 7:42am
Corgi Cult Member

If you don't have time to switch bead release, try using a mandrel that is the size you really need so you don't have to triple dip. Make sure your release is mixed to the correct consistency, dip once, and allow to air dry. I always have less problems by air drying than flame drying.

One other possibility, check the ends of your mandrels to see if they are ground smooth. If your mandrels were cut with bolt cutters and not ground they can have a sharp ridge that not only is hard on the bead release when making this type of bead, but can hold the bead in place once made.

Old 2011-04-06, 7:51am
Uh Oh....

I make bead caps, shawl pin toppers and other things with only a half hole all the time and never had a problem getting them off the mandrel. I use Fusion and only dip once. I also don't heat my glass up that much to let it drip into a shape. I shape it like I would on a regular bead.

I really like Fusion too. Never used anything else.

Old 2011-04-06, 9:23am
Fire Monkey

Sometimes I tap the bead (on the mandrel) on the table. It knocks a little sense into it and it comes right off

Old 2011-04-06, 9:59am

Thanks for all the tips, I will try them all out and hope that one does the trick. And the only reason I started triple dipping was due to various issues with single dips, including thinning the release, etc.. I think I will definitely stop by and pick up some of this fusion bead release in the very near future.
Old 2011-04-08, 8:16pm

Well, I couldn't find fusion bead release around here, however I did find foster fire bead release (heavy duty) and it works perfectly! so lesson learned...fireworks bead release is crap! thank you all!