LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-12-02, 1:51pm
Still makin' flowers...

Default Bead Encrusted Big Hole Bead (Seed Beading, but easy!)

I showed these pearl encrusted BHBs a while back in the Pandora Style Bead Gallery thread (http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...80096&page=137) and got a bunch of requests for a tutorial on them. So, here it is!

Are you ever in the middle of a huge pile of cored beads and you just are having a super off day? I've been hoarding my sterling, copper and brass rivets for a while now, figuring that at some point I'd finally figure out what to do with the perfectly fine metal pieces after I'd gone and broken the glass off them.

Materials:
Leftover rivet from a broken BHB or any tube shaped bead
11/0 seed beads
Beads to cover your core. I've tried pearls, crystals, 6/0 seed beads and aquamarine. Photos at the end.
Fireline beading thread
Beading needles. If you're using pearls, they'll probably have to be #12.
Small, sharp scissors
Optional: Thread Burner
Optional: 15/0 seed beads
Optional: A little bit of glue. I suggest some E6000.

Cut at least 1 yard of fireline beading thread for this project. You really don't want to start a new thread in the middle!

Using the 11/0 seed beads, do a strip of peyote stitch that goes around your little bead. Generally I start with 4 beads. Its really important that you start with an even number. Don't kow peyote stitch? No problem! Its super easy, and there's a great online tutorial here that actually uses 4 beads in the demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJeRvtmi2xk

Below, my little peyote stitch strip...

Here's the only place this gets a bit fussy. You need that strip to wrap around your core (or cylindrical bead) and not be too loose and not be too tight (otherwise the thread will rip out later). In addition, when it wraps around, you'll be "zipping" it together to form an endless band. If you wrap it around your core and the beads don't fit together like little teeth or a zipper, then you'll either have to stitch one more row of peyote stitch or take one row out.

Below, you should see how I can "zip" that little piece together.

Okay, that photo sucks, and of course I already finished the project, so here's another shot of my zipping together a piece of peyote stitch from a completely different project. But you should be able to see how those little sticky outy beads just fit in together and hopefully it'll make sense. Hey, its a freebie! Gimme a break!

Alrighty, here's another out of focus picture of the piece all tightened up. If you are using a regular cylindrical bead, you might want to put a little glue onto a toothpick and just get a little in there. With the channel from the rivet, I don't have to worry about it falling off at all. As a matter of fact, I could just call this done here...

...but of course I have to add fringe to everything.
You'll be adding the very simplest of all fringe here. You'll add a bead, and then a bead I'll refer to as a "stop" bead. Then, you'll go back down through the larger bead and anchor the fringe onto the piece. I like using a 15/0 seed bead as a stop bead. My fringe beads will be pearls, and since I'm all about this project being a "using up leftovers" project, I'm also going to use a random mix of pearls.

Here's the first pearl I've added.

And a couple more pearls. See the way the little 15/0 seed bead sits on top?

Here I'm finished with the first row around the bead and I'm adding a second row...

All in all, I added three rows of pearls around the bead before I decided it was nice and "full."

Once you are finished, weave your needle through the beadwork until you are sure that it won't come loose. Cut off the thread and use your thread burner, if you have one, to get rid of any thread ends. You're done!

Here's the finished bead.

And attached, a few variations...
1. Black seed beads with flatback opal swarovski crystals
2. Purple 6/0 seed beads
3. Aquamarine chips
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-12-02 at 2:40pm.
Old 2011-12-02, 4:33pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Bless you, Hannah! You rock! Thanks so very much. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-12-02, 5:11pm

Oh wow Hannah! Just amazing what you come up with. Thanks for posting this.
Old 2011-12-02, 7:09pm
Never give up

How sweet of you Hannah.
Old 2011-12-02, 7:11pm

Thanks for sharing they are beautiful!
Old 2011-12-02, 7:36pm
Newfoundland lover!

Love these! Thanks so much...

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.

Last edited by merigypsy; 2011-12-02 at 7:38pm.
Old 2011-12-02, 8:13pm
I wanna play with glass

Those are really awesome. Thank you so much for taking your time to write a tutorial for us all

Old 2011-12-02, 9:10pm

Thank you so much for sharing, very unique!
Old 2011-12-02, 9:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What a great idea. I really like the pearl ones in particular.

When you say "go back down through the larger bead and anchor the fringe onto the piece" do you mean you will stitch it through one of the seed beads you used to encase the silver?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-12-03, 7:05am
Still makin' flowers...

Exactly right, squid!

You're very welcome everyone.

I really love these little beads, but be careful you don't use more than about a size 4mm "fringe" bead because otherwise these get really big really fast!

!
Old 2011-12-03, 8:21am
Formerly FishBulb

You are a creative genius! I love these!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-12-03, 9:16am
Serenity Now!

Yet another great idea and tutorial from a wonderfully talented artist. Thank you.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-12-03, 12:02pm
i'm not dave

question from those of us who don't do bhb and thus don't have cores....where can one obtain them? thanks, terry and really nice looking beaded bead.
Old 2011-12-03, 12:04pm
Growing Edge Glass

Those are beautiful Hannah....you are amazing!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-12-03, 4:11pm

Thank you Hannah!!! You are awesome. You have the most beautiful work and talent.
Thank you again for sharing!!!
Janet C
Old 2011-12-03, 6:09pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivydave View Post
question from those of us who don't do bhb and thus don't have cores....where can one obtain them? thanks, terry and really nice looking beaded bead.
Thats a really good question. A couple of years ago at Bead & Button there were these pre-flared silver cores and now I can't recall who made them, although I would really like to remember. Anyone know?

Meanwhile, though, you could use any cylindrical shaped bead as a base. You'd want to use that little glue technique up there and also keep an eye on the bead hole size, just in case you wanted to use it for a big hole bead (dare I say the P word... oh! I do! PANDORA!). You could even make your bases out of a single color fimo.

!
Old 2011-12-03, 6:55pm

Great tutorial Hannah and thank you.What about using Bobbins for this kind of bead? I don't make BHB so I don't know if this size would be too big, but they are readily available.
Old 2011-12-04, 8:24pm
i'm not dave

thanks, hannah. i've painted and beaded wooden beads and turnings. maybe i can find something there.

i just don't get the appeal of pandora et al beads. who wants to wear this big, honkin', heavy bracelet that gets banged against everything? i see your beads in a necklace.
Old 2011-12-31, 8:51am
Glass-aholic

Hanna you have been bust with all these tur's! Thank you do much! These are fantastic! I wonder if it would work with a piece of mesh instead of beading the center to anchor the fringe. it is beautiful!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-31, 9:47am
put a bird on it

Thanks so much, Hannah, this is awesome! You are always so clever and generous
Old 2011-12-31, 2:56pm
Still makin' flowers...

Jaci! Wonderful idea. I'll bet it would work wonderfully.

msy549 - The bobbins might be sort of hard to get in there and put the fringe on, but I think you're onto something. I'm going to try it.

I thank goodness for those big hole beads, actually "not Dave!" I don't have to do the promotion for them at all - they are all over the TV this time of year. But yes, I like big honking beads and they really are too big for bracelets much of the time.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone who responded. I'm just having fun!

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-12-31 at 2:58pm.
Old 2012-01-07, 8:05pm

These are very nice! Thank you for sharing!
Old 2013-12-07, 8:38am
Still makin' flowers...

Here's another photo to enjoy! Its a little out of focus, but you get the idea...

Val - if you stop on by this thread can you supply the link to the flared tube beads you gave me a million years ago? I seem to have lost it...

!
Old 2013-12-07, 10:21am

Thanks Hannah!

Old 2013-12-07, 1:37pm

These are gorgeous!