No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-03, 1:41am
Beadmaking.nl

Default Cirrus from CIM

I have bought a lot of Cirrus from CIM because I love the misty way this glass looks. But the result is clear glass. What did I do wrong?

Have you ever worked with Cirrus and are you willing to show some results and share some tips?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-03, 2:37am
Bonkers about glass.....

I too have had the same problem, which was very frustrating. I think this glass likes to be worked cool. The hotter it gets, the sooner it goes clear. I recently got some CIM marshmallow, and that is a bit more forgiving, but on the spacer beads I made, it started going clear as I was working in a hotter flame.
I am sure there are more experienced lampworkers out there who may have more insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marlene
Old 2012-09-03, 4:56am
Beadmaking.nl

Thank you for your reaction! I am happy that you recognized it.
Waiting for the others for smart tips

Old 2012-09-03, 5:14am

Yep - try and work a little cooler. Also did you know that it resists etching. So if you put stringers on your beads, melt in .. then etch you will have parts left un-etched!
Old 2012-09-03, 5:21am
Gimme that silver glass!

Heat is the trick with Cirrus. I love the moonstone look of it, but find it very challenging to use. It also needs hotter annealing (on my larger beads, I had some cracking issues) and that's why I don't use it anymore. Too fussy.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2012-09-03, 5:23am
formerly Marella

I'm thinking that Cirrus is like veiled cane...heat it up too much and it loses it's "cloudy" quality.

I bought some and have only used it once. I wanted it to resist etch but mine etched when I used it as scrollwork on some Crocus beads. I left it in the etch for 10 min., maybe that was too long.

The Cirrus stringer on the scrollwork looked much clearer (not very cloudy) before I etched them...I'm going to try again today and see what I get.

Off topic: I cleaned these with clear water, soapy water, and with a toothbrush but I still have this "crud" in the creases with the raised scrollwork. Any ideas? You can't see it really well with your own eyes but when it's photographed it looks terrible.

~
~
~
Old 2012-09-03, 7:50am
Beadmaking.nl

Thank you all for your reactions. So I have to work cooler. And thank you for the etching tip and showing the picture!!!

Old 2012-09-03, 9:18am

After etching, I put my beads in a baking soda solution until they stop fizzing. It neutralizes the etch. Then I wash and clean them.
Joan
Old 2012-09-03, 9:24am

I have the opposite problem with Cirrus, it always goes just opaque white. Very disappointing. I stopped using it and go to Bullseye Mist for that translucent white look.

Old 2012-09-03, 9:37am
Salt Box Beads

Kevan is a pro with getting results from Cirrus, maybe she will chime in.
Old 2012-09-03, 10:11am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I have the opposite problem with Cirrus, it always goes just opaque white. Very disappointing. I stopped using it and go to Bullseye Mist for that translucent white look.
Haha, perhaps we should torch together!
What kind of torch do you have? Perhaps it has something to do with the balance between propane and oxygen.

Old 2012-09-03, 10:20am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Same here. I managed for one set to have the lovely moonstone look.
Since then, whatever I do, it always goes opaque.
Goes in the kiln translucent, comes out opaque.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-09-03, 10:24am
Naysayer

Cirrus is a striking color, I use it all the time for both resist and the moonstone look, work it, cool..put back into flame like any striking glass.

tips
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=3

oh and I don't adjust my kiln for it, they say you should but I only had issues once and that was my fault.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2012-09-03 at 10:27am.
Old 2012-09-03, 10:32am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Cirrus is a striking color, I use it all the time for both resist and the moonstone look, work it, cool..put back into flame like any striking glass.

tips
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=3

oh and I don't adjust my kiln for it, they say you should but I only had issues once and that was my fault.

Thanks! What a great link!

Last edited by Margrieten; 2012-09-03 at 10:36am.
Old 2012-09-03, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl View Post
Haha, perhaps we should torch together!
What kind of torch do you have? Perhaps it has something to do with the balance between propane and oxygen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Same here. I managed for one set to have the lovely moonstone look.
Since then, whatever I do, it always goes opaque.
Goes in the kiln translucent, comes out opaque.
Hey Judith, up for a trip to the Netherlands?

Margriet, I have a Barracuda with propane and usually one M-15 for soft glass.
I don't know who that Dana is in that link but dang! those are some gorgeous beads.
I need to try that with the BE Mists just to see how they come out. No special annealing temps needed with that either.
Seems like some of the CIM colors need to be annealed much higher than my usual...at some point during a torching session I usually make a few silver glass beads. That high temp would surely make mud.

Old 2012-09-03, 12:32pm
Beadmaking.nl

I will try here tomorrow and strike. You are welcome here! I have 6 torches but no beds and enough Cirrus!

Old 2012-09-03, 12:52pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
LOL. If you can wait till next summer, I'll be again for 6 weeks in Germany

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-09-04, 1:24am
Naysayer

Quote:

Margriet, I have a Barracuda with propane and usually one M-15 for soft glass.
I don't know who that Dana is in that link but dang! those are some gorgeous beads.
I need to try that with the BE Mists just to see how they come out. No special annealing temps needed with that either.
Seems like some of the CIM colors need to be annealed much higher than my usual...at some point during a torching session I usually make a few silver glass beads. That high temp would surely make mud.
Just the moonstones, Cirrus, Halong, Peacock Green..and maybe the new ones? But as I said I don't, I'm too all over the place to think that much when torching lol!

I tried and tried tonight to make it opaque to see why it does for some and I just couldn't do it. I tried :/
Old 2012-09-04, 2:02am
Bonkers about glass.....

Wow, what great information. Thank you all for sharing. I am inspired to try my hand at mixing colours with the cirrus.

Marlene
Old 2012-09-04, 2:05am
Entropy increasing....

Well, I don't know what kind of a "pro" I am with it, but I didn't know it had to be worked special. I just melt it like any other glass. I do have cracking issues with it. It doesn't seem to like dichro, at least for me. I have a couple of rods of the old Cirrus that turned opaque. I keep meaning to toss those so I don't accidentally use them, but I forget and then use them and get white. It's such a beautiful glass though. It's like that moonstone glass.
Old 2012-09-04, 2:50am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
LOL. If you can wait till next summer, I'll be again for 6 weeks in Germany
Well, from that 6 weeks, come a few days here!

Thanks Kevan for your reaction. I am a big fan from you. Thanks also to all the others. It makes me happy to read that because of this topic people get inspired!

Old 2012-09-04, 4:52am

Ghost Bubbles by Glittering Prize - Trudi, on Flickr

Hi

This bead was made with regular 006 clear and dicro, with cirrus dots. Etched for about 5/10 mins!

I like the "windows" but I also like the glow from the etched parts.

Cirrus I seem to get away with on my normal kiln schedule 520°C / 968°F but for Peacock and Haylong Bay I have to increase the temp to 535° / 995°F otherwise they do crack!
Old 2012-09-04, 5:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
After etching, I put my beads in a baking soda solution until they stop fizzing. It neutralizes the etch. Then I wash and clean them.
Joan
Baking soda actually doesn't nutralise etching solution, you need to use lime - it might fizz but the etching solution is still toxic so be careful

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227416

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-09-04 at 5:14am.
Old 2012-09-04, 6:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Well, I don't know what kind of a "pro" I am with it, but I didn't know it had to be worked special. I just melt it like any other glass. I do have cracking issues with it. It doesn't seem to like dichro, at least for me. I have a couple of rods of the old Cirrus that turned opaque. I keep meaning to toss those so I don't accidentally use them, but I forget and then use them and get white. It's such a beautiful glass though. It's like that moonstone glass.
Maybe that's my problem. I did buy it a couple years ago.
I think I'll test it today and see.

Old 2012-09-05, 8:41am

My experiment didn't work even though I garaged and annealed much higher than I usually do. 965 garage and 980 to start the anneal. The plain Cirrus ones came out just dumb white and the mix with Lauscha trans purple and cirrus came out only a little whispy and blue. Meh. I'm done.

Old 2012-09-05, 10:23pm
Artistically Absorbed

The batches of Cirrus also vary. I remember at one time they had three different batches out at once, and one did not cloud...it stayed clear.

Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64