Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-02-06, 8:00am

Default Devardi safety equipment...

I had a question regarding safety equipment...regulators, check valves, arrestors, etc.

Devardi offers a *complete* safety system that costs equal to the cost of a single regulator from most available resources.

I know that the debate on their glass is widely contested, however how reliable is this equipment...the cost alone makes me pause and desire to know more.

I know the "you get what you pay for mantra..." often applies...however does it apply here?

Thanks for your feedback...
Old 2015-02-06, 8:34am
kinda torching....

Ive heard that its decent quality stuff, that being said, either airgas or praxair sells a regulator 2pack kit with a fuel reg made for low pressure propane for $75.

If your options are devardi, or nothing due to cost, then go with devardi now. better to be safe than sorry..

My setup is the regulator twin pack, 50ft T grade hoses, Y splitters on both lines, flashback arrestors at each Y split, quick connects with check valves at Y splits and again at regulators. Totaled out to about $300. Heres a tip tho, before purchasing everything from airgas/praxair, they quoted me almost $400 for a 180L liquid oxygen tank. Once they seen how important safety was to me, i have a standing price of $120 signed sealed and delived for the same tank! That lox price has been good fpr over 6 months now and i still have yet to jump on it lol soon tho! They even told me while i was checking out that they havent seen someone take safety as seriously as me in years! (pretty sure thats why they hooked me up, they used to be rather rude to me always before then)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-02-06, 8:49am

Right on...thanks for the advice!

It's not necessarily 'Devardi or bust...' for me...it's simply a matter of economics, rather.

...truth be told; if I can save a few bucks here and there...in this case a few hundred...that equates to more glass that I can purchase!

So it's money spent either way...

Bottom line, I want to be safe...
Old 2015-02-06, 9:04am

This is not a good area to save money. Think about it. How much is your health and well being and that of those around you worth?
Old 2015-02-06, 9:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
This is not a good area to save money. Think about it. How much is your health and well being and that of those around you worth?
I absolutely agree.

However, there has to be a reason why this equipment is so much more affordable than their competitors...

Is it the volume at which they operate which allows their equipment to be so much more affordable?

Is it garbage?

At which point I'm moving on...

I'm simply ascertaining information before making a decision...

"Bottom line, I want to be safe..."
Old 2015-02-06, 10:56am
da General

I can't say what quality Devardi's equipment is but I can share my own experience regarding regulators. A low-end regulator tends to cause the flame to "breath" - fluctuates just enough to make it impossible to do what we need to do. I now use one that cost more but produces a stable flame even at 3-4 psi. I also find the better made ones last much longer.

At the end of the day, "you get what you pay for" is very true. Buy top-quality well-made products, they work better and last longer. The higher price is worth it, imho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-02-06, 12:24pm
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I can't say what quality Devardi's equipment is but I can share my own experience regarding regulators. A low-end regulator tends to cause the flame to "breath" - fluctuates just enough to make it impossible to do what we need to do. I now use one that cost more but produces a stable flame even at 3-4 psi. I also find the better made ones last much longer.

At the end of the day, "you get what you pay for" is very true. Buy top-quality well-made products, they work better and last longer. The higher price is worth it, imho.
Agree with Hayley.

Spend the money at the very least for quality flashback arrestors. You really do not want to have to regret going cheap.

Old 2015-02-06, 12:53pm

You can shop around a little but I would stick with two stage regulators.
even name brand regulators varry a little in cost between different shops.

Old 2015-02-06, 1:16pm

I purchased from my local service provider. I know i spent more, but I also hope they will be available if I have any problems.

Barbara
Old 2015-02-06, 2:25pm
kinda torching....

Btw, also make sure you setup a quality ventilation system(125CFM per sq foot of hood opening) and also are using proper and quality lampworking safety eye glasses. Glass work uses a special type of lense to protect your eyes and welding lenses wont be enough.
Hope this doesnt sound negative, just not sure of your expierence or knowledge of lampwork, and we want everyone to be safe and have fun!

Old 2015-02-06, 2:41pm

The devardi gear will get you melting. I like the regulator/hose package but do not realistically plan on using the regulators and flashback arresters forever.

I can upgrade regulators and the works as I build up equipment.
Getting started is an economic juggling game to start.

If you are concerned about safety then make sure you have proper eye-ware and ventilation. A good fire extinguisher at the ready too.
Old 2015-02-06, 4:18pm

Thanks for the input, folks...

Regarding ventilation and eye ware...I'm running a proper ventilation system and wearing appropriate Phillips protective lenses.

I've been on a HH for several months, and ran across a great deal on a Mega Minor.

I am in no hurry to rush into this...I'm currently set up; just readying an upgrade.
Old 2015-02-06, 5:38pm

So let's switch gears slightly here...

So if equipment costs weren't an issue...what brand/supplier would not think twice about purchasing?

I also like 28676bhe's position on using a local supplier for many reasons. Building a local relationship and supporting the local economy are great reasons.

I'll still take opinions on Devardi safety equipment...so far I haven't gotten an up or down on their equipment.

Thanks...
Old 2015-02-06, 6:16pm
Phill

I think there is a Devardi forum.

Perhaps looking over the threads there will come up with either complaints or appreciation for the safety equipment.

And / or you could google "Devardi Safety Equipment Complaints" and see what comes up.
Old 2015-02-06, 6:38pm

99% of the information in regards to Devardi on the LE forums relates (in less than pleasant exchanges...) to their glass products, and very little on their equipment.

Google doesn't provide much in the way of results either...

I've exhausted my efforts prior to creating a new thread...although it does appear that there is a 'Safety' forum here at LE where perhaps this would have been better posted within...
Old 2015-02-06, 7:18pm
Slogan Challenged...

well, I know plenty of folks that use the Devardi equipment and probably are not posting due the the above-mentioned thread. That thread is mostly about their glass and wouldn't be helpful anyway.

I've always been happy with their tools and odds and ends. I have several of their marvers. And I use their regulator. For me, everyone was out of stock when I needed one fast, and it works great! No complaints, and customer service is pretty good. You are fine either way you choose, IMO.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-02-06, 8:07pm
I fart diamonds

I've used a cheap regulator that I bought at Harbor Freight for several years and it's the same one that Devardi sells. The hose and regulator set that they have for $116 is a really good price and if I needed another setup, I'd have no qualms with purchasing it. I've purchased several items from them in the past and not had any issues.

Old 2015-02-06, 8:20pm

Thank you, KJohn & shawnette...

I'm glad that their equipment is working well for you both and I appreciate you sharing your information with me.
Old 2015-02-06, 9:22pm

I have also used their regulators and hoses for over a year now and have not had any problems. I torch at least 20 hours a week. I am also using tanked oxy for what it's worth...

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."
Old 2015-02-07, 3:11am
kinda torching....

They have great prices on some decent tools too! Ive ordered before and will be placing another order in a few days.

Old 2015-02-07, 1:10pm
Phill

Aye, as with anything that you are new to, you will have to learn all you can about what problems to look for with the general type of equipment ( in this case regulators) and then keep a close watch as you get more comfortable depending on it to do what it is supposed to.

Do be gentle with all regulators. Even the very best don't put up with being slammed with high pressure often so open them very slowly at first.

Oh and oxygen tanks have two seals on the valve stem. One for when they are all the way closed as you would expect but they have another at the other end for opening them all the up. Turns out that opening the oxygen tank a little way allows the oxygen to leak out around the valve stem and all of you money goes out the window with it.
Old 2015-02-07, 1:33pm

Arrow Springs has lot of good information under tips and tricks re regulators and hoses. I put together a 12 torch studio using their diagram.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !