Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-10-11, 10:18am

Default shooting underwater - link sucks!

I've been having pretty good luck taking photos of my beads submerged in water. The thing is, lint & cat fur $ whatever seem to magically accumulate in the dish of water at a crazy rate. I have to change the water every few beads & its annoying. More annoying is trying to get the hair out of the photos in gimp. I've been rinsing each bead or set before putting it in the dish, but it doesn't really help.

Any tips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-11, 12:39pm

ha, that was supposed to be "lint" not "link" in the title.

|
Old 2009-10-11, 12:47pm

Shave the cats?

Hair and dust is always a problem here as well... except we have dogs. When I did darkroom work, I use to run the hot water in the shower to steam the place up real well before I hung my negatives up to dry. The steam really settled the dust and with the bathroom door closed, I could get dry negatives with no dust or hair on them.

If you have room in your bath room to set up to do your shooting, you could do the same thing. Run the hot water to help settle all the dust and hair and then don't do a lot of moving around afterwards, which will only stir it back up. Also, you don't want to vacumnn or dust the room just before you shoot either. All this does is stir up all the particles that you are trying to keep away. Shooting in a light tent helps as well, as it reduces the amount of air born particles from settling on your stuff.

The other option is get one of the versions of Photoshop and learn to remove dust and hair as part of your work flow. As long as you can keep it to a minimum, it doesn't take very long to remove it from an image.

Mike
Old 2009-10-14, 3:48pm

The steam is a good idea, although the cat box is in the bathroom, lol.

I value my life too much to shave the cats...

|
Old 2009-10-15, 10:41pm

Don't shoot your beads under water! What is the point. Who ever told you it was a good idea was drunk. The Cat or Dog hair and or dust. Just adds to a really bad idea.

I have photographed products underwater so the client could have fish swimming by. But the fish did not corporate. So we had too glue hooks on a glass panel and place it behind the product. We then hooked the fish to the hooks and arranged them for the composition. It turned out to be an amazing photo. But I threw up four times when I flushed the dead fish.

So what is my point? Don't Shoot underwater unless your willing to kill fish for effect. Throwing up maybe a side affect.

There are much better ways to photograph beads. That will allow you the option of canned air to deal with the pet hair.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2009-10-16, 11:52am

OMG, was the fish shot pre-photoshop?

I've tried a lot of techniques & get the best results under water. Without the water, if I have enough light for a shot the glare obscures too much of the bead (even with several types of home made tents). I'm limited by the resources at hand.

It helps if I change the water a lot, with is very annoying, but keeps the lint down. Also, keeping the beads in a different dish of water or giving them a quick rinse off 1st.

|
Old 2009-10-16, 6:32pm

I've shot a lot of things in liquid and have gotten some pretty amazing shots. If you us clear container... thin clear glass is less likely to scratch but plastic gives a clearer image until it does scratch. Low E glass or the glass they use in copiers and scanners is even better as it doesn't have a color tint to it. I made my own water tank out of glass that was tall and only about 6" square that worked a lot better than some of the other containers I used.

If you want to get some interesting effects, use soda water instead of plain water. The bubble effect you get can be very interesting sometimes. You will get lots of bubbles when the soda water is fresh and less and less as the gas dissipates. You can get litter bottles of Club Soda or the house brand at most stores for about .80 a bottle.

Mike
Old 2009-12-17, 3:23pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay I just found this thread and I see someone else thought of this too. How can you reply to someone's idea in such a negative manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
Don't shoot your beads under water! What is the point. Who ever told you it was a good idea was drunk. The Cat or Dog hair and or dust. Just adds to a really bad idea.

I have photographed products underwater so the client could have fish swimming by. But the fish did not corporate. So we had too glue hooks on a glass panel and place it behind the product. We then hooked the fish to the hooks and arranged them for the composition. It turned out to be an amazing photo. But I threw up four times when I flushed the dead fish.

So what is my point? Don't Shoot underwater unless your willing to kill fish for effect. Throwing up maybe a side affect.

There are much better ways to photograph beads. That will allow you the option of canned air to deal with the pet hair.
Scott

Old 2009-12-17, 5:10pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I don't like the negativity but the canned air is a great idea.

Old 2009-12-18, 9:30am
Gentleman of Leisure

Its all about glare/reflection free lighting..... If the water is not working try some other lighting solutions..... The forum has dozens of ideas.... Scan through and read old threads...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-12-18, 11:21am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

I'm surprised that no one has said that its also about learning how to use your camera.... You can shoot a bead on the surface of the sun, and come out with a good picture... if you know how to use your camera.

Old 2009-12-18, 7:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post
I'm surprised that no one has said that its also about learning how to use your camera.... You can shoot a bead on the surface of the sun, and come out with a good picture... if you know how to use your camera.
And you have a long enough telephoto.
Old 2009-12-19, 9:19pm

Gemsinbloom, When is sharing years of experience a negative. My point was simply this. There is a better way to photograph beads.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2009-12-19 at 10:16pm.
Old 2009-12-20, 6:58pm

It's not so much what you said that was negative, but how you said it. In my opinion, that was the negative part in the comment you made. And in the time I've been on here, not like your other comments at all.

Mike
Old 2009-12-22, 12:25pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I thought it was meant to be more amusing than negative.

Old 2009-12-22, 1:22pm
Did someone say SALE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
I thought it was meant to be more amusing than negative.
That's what I was getting too. Just differences in sense of humor, I guess! lol
Old 2009-12-28, 6:59am
Madmanmarbles

I didn't think it was negative, but it would have been nice to see some ideas on the other options recommended to shoot the beads, instead of just shooting down the water idea...
Joe

[color="Red"] Chettah