No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-06-16, 8:01pm
Pyro Tyro

Default Should I worry?

I am totally intrigued with blown glass vessels and have tried doing them a dozen or so times (w/ not a lot of success ). I just read a blog post in which a lampworker talked about having a blow out and covering his mouth and nose immediately. A month or so ago I had a major blowout while trying to blow a little vessel. I was fascinated to see that the glass looked like saran wrap floating around! I did not think to cover my mouth and nose And... although I vacuumed the floor after that I didn't wipe up my work area.

I don't suppose there's anything to be done about it now, but should I worry about lasting damage (like to my lungs) from that one incident???? (Funnily enough I did order a respirator thing today hours before I read that post).

- Jill
Sometimes I scare myself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-17, 6:47am

I'm not sure about your lungs but it's an excellent reason to wear closed safety glasses when blowing shards or anything thing else that thin!

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2008-06-17, 7:23pm
Pyro Tyro

Yes, my glasses do have the side panels!

Thank goodness for small favors?

Old 2008-06-18, 3:26pm
He can do the origami

Vitreous,
I closed my mouth and covered my nose and held my breath purely as a precautionary measure. I cannot say with certainty that it would have harmed me in the least. I just knew I had inundated my airspace with the tinniest shards, slivers and sheets of glass I have ever seen. I also figured if I can see that much tiny glass particles there were probably a lot of micro particles I could not see. My exhaust took care of probably about 90% of it.

I wore my respirator back in and vacuumed and wiped everything down because I figured that would give me the best chance to remove any lingering particles that could be kicked up into the air and breathed in.

I am absolutely overly cautious when it comes to safety. I even keep one respirator outside of my workspace so it doesn't get contaminated in case something like this happens. My other respirator is in a sealed plastic box in my studio. I have done risk assessment in other fields and I have earned a nickname "Gloom-N-Doom" because I always manage to see the extreme of the risk factor and play out the "what if" scenario to it's final, dangerous end.

It is probably not even sane to contrast your reactions or safety precautions to mine.... I tend to think the sky is falling.... of course it probably is

Otter

Last edited by Otter's Flame; 2008-06-18 at 3:29pm.
Old 2008-06-18, 8:01pm
Pyro Tyro

Cool

Hi Otter,

I got my respirator today! I was sort of thinking I should also have it in a sealed container, just in case of disaster. Perhaps we are twins who were separated at birth?!

I absolutely understand why you covered your nose and mouth! Makes sense and wish I'd thought of that - hence my concern. Can't be a good thing to inhale glass particles! Of course it's kind of hard to blow vessels wearing that damn respirator.

It ain't easy being a newbie. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I will be more careful!

- Jill

Last edited by VitreousTyro; 2008-06-18 at 8:04pm.