LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-12-15, 1:58pm
going crazy

Default 4 Hole Button Tutorial

A couple of people asked for a tutorial on 4 hole buttons with my new mandrel. I got together with Tracy (Bead _Bug), we made some buttons (and some bloopers) and took a bunch of pictures. Thanks so much for your help Tracy!

MANDRELS
If they are new, rough them up a little bit so that the bead release holds better. It seems to work better if you air dry rather than flame dry them, the bead release tends to crack less. Because you handle the tips of the mandrels when putting them into the handle, I’ve started wiping the bead release off of the very tip when I dip them. Again, it seems to help with the cracking (or maybe I need to get some new bead release!)

STARTING THE BUTTON
I found 2 methods for starting the buttons that seem to work well.
Method 1:
Put 3 of the mandrels into the handle and the O-ring and balance a piece or murrini or slice of glass on them where you will be making the button. (Alot of times, murrini that has white in it will devit on you)
Slide the 4th mandrel in to the handle and O-ring, being careful not to scrape the bead release on the glass.

Put dots onto the murrini in the spaces between each of the mandrels.

Melt the dots in and start wrapping a disc around the glass already on the mandrel. Finish and decorate as desired.

Method 2

Put 4 mandrels into the handle and O-ring. Wrap a layer of glass around all 4 mandrels. (Try for a more even wrap than this picture)

Melt the glass and using a sharp tool push the glass between the mandrels. Add dots of glass between the mandrels and continue pushing the glass until the center of the button is filled in.

Wrap additional glass around the mandrels to build the button.

FINISHING THE BUTTON

Let the button cool a little bit.
Slide the O-Ring off of the mandrels.

Push the mandrels towards the head of the handle.
Use a pair of pliers (I like bent nose pliers but any kind works) to grab one or two of the mandrels, slowly working the mandrels out of the handle. Sometimes you can just hold the handle with the button down and it almost falls out - so do it over a table) Remove the mandrels completely from the handle and put the button in the kiln.

That’s it – you’re done!

The third one down shows what not to do! It was not cool enough as I took it off and one of the mandrels shifted.

Making a 2 hole button is pretty much the same process – they are a little easier to start though.
Let me know if you have any questions and practise - it can be a little frustrating getting these started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My button mandrel listed here!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BJJunk; 2008-01-08 at 1:48pm.
Old 2007-12-15, 2:28pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks for the tutorial I've been wondering how to make button

Old 2007-12-15, 4:46pm

Thank you for this great tutorial! I needed it.
Old 2007-12-15, 11:53pm

I made a button and I think it turned out pretty good for a first one. It was so much fun!
Old 2007-12-16, 1:06am
Glass-aholic

this is a great tut! I looked at the title and it sounded really dirty..... haha...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-12-16, 9:21am
going crazy

This is some of Tracy's and my buttons

Old 2007-12-18, 9:35am
Virginia.

great TUT - cannot wait till you make more - I want to play too - look at those buttons - great job - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2007-12-18, 9:42am

Wow, thanks for the tut, looks hard to do. I guess alot of practice is needed.
Old 2007-12-20, 12:17pm

Where do you get the mandrels and set up for buttons?
Old 2007-12-21, 5:07am
Anyone need some spacers?

Verre, You can get them from BJJunk (Barb). The wonderful thing about Barb's mandrel holder is that you can make or purchase as many sets of mandrels as you like. It doesn't limit you to just a few fixed button mandrels.

Teena, They arn't any harder to do that a disk bead if you use the chip method of making them. After two crazy looking buttons the rest have looked great.

Old 2008-01-08, 6:11am
Detail G-Mama!

I got my set in yesterday so I'll be playing with it today! Woohoo!

Old 2008-01-08, 10:47am
Knob Creek Glass

I got mine yesterday. Now, if I can just get the time!
Old 2008-01-08, 11:05am
Detail G-Mama!

Just made my first one! I made a 2-hole one to start off with! LOL! We'll see how it turns out later. It was way easier making these than the shank buttons I've been making! LOL!

Old 2008-01-09, 2:28pm
Virginia.

re-read this - made a button I am very happy with, but put the whole thing into the kiln and melted my 0-rings - won't do that again - argggggggggggggg - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-01-09, 3:54pm

I love this tool and have made about 3 buttons.

I just cut some more 4" mandrels so I can make more at a time. It's really easy to use, easy to get the mandrels off and makes beautiful buttons. I'm so glad I got it.
Old 2008-01-10, 8:05am
going crazy

I'm glad you are liking the button mandrel! Are there parts of the tutorial that were hard to follow or what have you found that works good for you? I need to start sending directions when people buy them.
And lets see some pictures!

Old 2008-01-10, 11:31am
Anyone need some spacers?

I agree lets see some photos!

Old 2008-01-10, 6:24pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I received my tool yesterday and just had a chance to work with it today. I didn't plan ahead so I installed two mandrels and dipped it just before I used it (I use Fusion bead release). This worked out really well! I made two buttons - the two-hole buttons are really easy!

If they look good I'll post some pics tomorrow

Old 2008-01-11, 1:36pm

Barb,
My button tool arrived. Thanks for the great TUT, now I know what to do with all the murrini I have accumulated. Must get torching.
Kris

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2008-01-21, 12:08pm
Detail G-Mama!

Ok, here a couple that made it! They are already attached to the scarflettes! The "beach" one is made with a base of ivory and shards attached here and there with some amber dots here and there. The 2nd one is rubino, white and amethyst. I made some others but they didn't survive, I guess to thin on one and the other one chipped while I was cleaning it! I love this tool!! Thanks so much for making it!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-29, 6:21pm
Your Royal Fritness

Barb, Here is my 1st button (thanks for the demo) These are fun to make.

Nice Buttons Anne and Barb!

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-30, 12:22pm
going crazy

Nice buttons! I keep looking at the knitted stuff and think I need to learn how to do that too (probably won't happen though). Some of my friends have used these buttons on felted purses.

Old 2013-12-14, 6:20pm

I finally got the courage to try making my first button with your button mandrel. I will let you know how it turned out.

Old 2018-12-18, 5:49am
Ms

Very clever tool! and great tutorial.
Thank you!!

Tags
2 hole, 4 hole, button, button mandrel