Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-13, 6:30pm

Default how to make bowls?

I've been trying to make hollow miniature bowls--less than 1" across--but not having much success.

The problem is how to hold it; if I punty the bottom, it never sits flat. Punty the rim, and it stays wonky.

I've even tried starting with the contents of the bowl, then building the bowl around it. I can punty to the contents, but then they're funky.

Any suggestions? For shaping, I'm using a brass dopping set, with cavities like a marble mold and...um...ball-tipped brass pushing things. (I bet there's another name for them, like dopping stamps or something)
Old 2013-09-13, 6:49pm
honorary bead lady

You mean a dapping block and dapping punch
Old 2013-09-13, 7:15pm

Yeah, what David said.

thanks.
Old 2013-09-13, 7:34pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I've wondered this myself but never thought of a way so I have never tried it. Best I can say is the punty to the bottom then a light punty to the side burn off the bottom.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-13, 7:56pm

Would a boro punty leave the bottom smoother?

Old 2013-09-13, 9:00pm
Glass-aholic

Any chance you can use the hot fingers that hold via expansion vs contraction, hold from the inside lip? Or punty then reposition the punty when your shape is almost perfect with something like a stringer.

Can you punty the side initially and then re-position the punty to the bottom inside rather than the outer base?

Good luck!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-16, 12:39pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Not sure what the contents of your bowl may be, but have you considered slumping them in the kiln to create them? Perhaps just find (or make) a small mold and slump them.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-09-16, 1:01pm
Slogan Challenged...

Perhaps something along the lines of a half round vessel mandrel would be easier than trying to juggle the thing. Could you make one?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-16, 1:34pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. It helps to know nobody else has really solved this either.

I made a half-round mandrel from boro, but it didn't work and I don't remember why; maybe I should try it again. I also tried using the globular dapping punch, but the handle is short and it got too hot.

Slumping would work really well, but I have a dirty little secret; no kiln. [Please, no dire warnings, folks, I don't sell my work.]

Also no hot fingers, interior or exterior.

I may have to try the multiple punty approach again. Or use Fimo. But I hate Fimo...
Old 2013-09-18, 5:27am
Glass-aholic

Can you punty to the bottm, and chop. Off the rod punty and melt it into a pedestal.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: