Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-02, 11:51am

Default enamels on recycle glass

hi all, I just cast a Frankenstein face out of cheap glass marbles from the dollar store. It came out ok but does not look scary enough for the sculpture im making. I want to add some black enamel or frit on the surface to spooky it up does anyone know if the Thompson enamels will stick to coe 90ish glass
thanks all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-02, 12:17pm

With it's greenish cast, that could possibly be plain float. Have you tested a small piece with 90? Call Thompson and see what they think!

Barbara
Old 2013-10-02, 2:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

Neat piece, though.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-03, 5:28am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I don't know the answer to your question about enamels, but if that does turn out to not be a good idea you could also try oil painting on the glass. One LE person, that I can think of offhand, did oil painting on their glass:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=puppet

Not sure if it would achieve the look you're going for, but thought I'd throw the idea out there.

I love the way the marbles seemed to have melted together, and formed what seems to be a large scale appearance.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-10-03, 10:22am

I have never used enamels on recycled glass but I have seen others that have with no problems.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-04, 8:55am

Sandblasting for texture and then oil painting would do the trick for you. Chemical etching would work to some extent but not as well as sandblasting. If you do enamels you'll have to reheat the piece, greatly increasing the risk of having it break.

Robert
Old 2013-10-04, 9:38am

Its in the kiln right now covered in enamels. Slow ramp up to 1200 for the win. Hope this works I post a picture win or loose

Old 2013-10-04, 10:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smeeth View Post
Its in the kiln right now covered in enamels. Slow ramp up to 1200 for the win. Hope this works I post a picture win or loose
Let us know how it turns out.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-04, 11:09am
Slogan Challenged...

Yes, I'm curious as well!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-10-04 at 11:13am.
Old 2013-10-04, 4:24pm
Wyoming Silvers

Love this!

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-10-04, 5:31pm
Senior Moment

*impatient foot tapping*

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-10-04, 6:41pm

Thompsons has a Series for float or window glass. This is what I use for recycled glass and bottles. Most bottle glass seems to run 84 to 87 COE
Old 2013-10-05, 5:01pm
Senior Moment

Did it work?

Alli

Old 2013-10-05, 5:35pm
Shelarious

Thompson will help you out, they have a great bunch of people there.

I've also done oil painting on etched glass, it has a great "glow" effect.

But anyways, how did it turn out?

Old 2013-10-05, 5:46pm

I'll post some pictures Monday it looked like it worked great

Old 2013-10-05, 5:55pm
Senior Moment

Yay! Can't wait

Old 2013-10-07, 7:03am

Frankenstein sculpture with under-glaze enamels fired to 1200 degrees. I ramped the kiln up slowly to 1200 then down to 1000 for a 6 hour anneal at 1000

Old 2013-10-07, 7:10am

Fantastic!

Old 2013-10-07, 7:22am

Looks great.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-07, 11:56am
Shelarious

Bad ass. Seriously great.

Old 2013-10-07, 1:09pm
Slogan Challenged...

That really brought out all the details. Cool texture.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-07, 1:50pm

Nicely done!
Old 2013-10-07, 1:54pm
Senior Moment

That is brilliant! Really brings out the brow and hooded eyes.

Awesome job.

Alli

Old 2013-10-07, 3:11pm

I love that the enamels brought out all the detail, that really works.

But I also liked seeing the marbles in the first picture, now hidden by enamel. If I were doing this sort of thing, I would experiment with making the hexagons of the former marbles part of the design--probably not Frank's head, but something simpler, where the pattern would add to the design.

I don't fuse, so am just theorizing; could you coat some of the marbles with enamel or fine frit before putting them in the mold? then you'd get balls or multidimensional hexagons or spots of color throughout