Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-26, 2:43pm

Default Differences in dichroic colors?

I thought that the colors of dichroic (we're talking about CBS here) were consistent - at least pretty much so. I've gotten batches from different vendors that are labelled by the same color - i.e. "purple" that look very different - much darker, lighter, redder etc. Is the dichroic coating like glass in that it varies a lot batch to batch, or am I perhaps getting some mislabeled batches?
Old 2007-06-26, 3:34pm
Missing presumed fed

The only one that I buy regularly enough to know is Rainbow 2, but it seems consistent. I've never noticed a batch difference. I'm buying sheet dichro. If you're buying strips that have been pre-fired (fused, slumped, run through the kiln), I guess there could be a color difference from that if the firing schedules differed.
Old 2007-06-26, 3:54pm

Thanks Emily. I am using strips.

I LOVE that you have your torch specifics at the bottom of your page. I'd love to see more people do that. If I can figure out how, I'll add my HH info!
Old 2007-06-28, 11:49am

yup, they change batch to batch but not too much. The way to see if it's the correct color is to hold it up the the light and look through it. The reflected color changes ...... but to check this way adds another color to match.
Purple can look on the blue side.
Salmon can look like Cyan Copper or Candy Apple red.
Candy Apple Red can look like Salmon.....
I know it's hard.... but it's art..... who wants to make the exact same piece over and over. A little color change is good.
Old 2007-06-28, 12:44pm

Thanks for answering, R4! I've been trying to identify a couple bluish purples - one light and one quite dark that I purchased a long time ago, and that are unmarked (I think from Arrowsprings at a bay area conference.)

I've ordered various violets and purples and have been unable to identify the dark purple one at all - it's very vivid/dark - like a violet/ink blue but in dichro. The uppermost photo at your site looks like it might be that color, but it's not labeled and none of the current colors seem to correspond. The light bluish purple seems to be the "pink/teal" (but it's more like a light periwinkle/silver color) that I last received from you, and I'm hoping an order I placed a day or so ago will be similar. I can understand the salmon/copper,candy apple as being confusing. When I've ordered "violet" from a couple sources, I receive what looks like a dusty rose/pink dichro.

It's confusing and hard to photograph, I'm sure.

BTW - is the Salvador Dali glass a new Rocio color? I don't see it at the site?
Old 2007-06-28, 12:53pm

This is too fun..... It's like saying make me something medium blue. LOL
OK... Purple to look at is close to a "barney purple" if you look at it through light it is a slightly greenish yellow. Pink teal is the blue color and a golden yellow if you look through it.
Old 2007-06-28, 1:06pm

I got one of the samplers from R4. I must say it is the best dichro I have found but I don't seem to have much deviation from the colors if I order the same names. My dichro from "hotstix" is a different consistency and color altogether than the R4 but the colors seem to be consistent within that brand too. I just started using dichro. I love it but it is hard to learn. Really good dichro makes a big difference!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-28, 1:42pm

I've been very happy with the quality and PRICE (SALE $8/oz right now) from Rocio as well.

So, R4 - what is the color 2nd from the top (I was wrong - a blue is at the top) at your site and do you still have it? Is that purple? I SWEAR the "purple" strips I have are PINK (not that there's anything wrong with PINK), and I also have these old ones that look like the photo (maybe somewhat bluer) Unfortunately, they are not labeled - very vivid though.