No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-17, 2:11pm
Fight glass with FIRE

Default Do many people use pixie dust

I was looking over things and was wondering if many people use pixie dust in their bead making? and if you could post some pictures of what the end result looks like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-11-17, 2:43pm
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

I have a set on ebay and another one on my specials page. It's really fun to sparkle things up a bit and you can use as much or as little as you want to control the effect.

marianna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Joolz & Glass Beads

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog

Old 2005-11-18, 9:54am
Formerly SirWatson

I use pixie dust a lot for spacers since it's gorgeous and adds tons of sparkle to an overall set. Plus, it's a lot of fun to use...and simple!

Here are some images of sets I've made using pixie dust:

Hope that helps!

Karla

<><
Old 2005-11-18, 10:32am
Carpe Beadum

Wow!! Those are gorgeous!! I have the gold, but have never tried it. I def have to break it out now!

Can you put stringer decoration over it? Or will it pop off?

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2005-11-18, 10:36am
Formerly SirWatson

That is gold sparkle pixie dust on a base of the pale transparent amber (or yellow).

I've tried adding stringer on top of a pixied bead, but never had much luck with it staying on. I know other people have done it, but I'm just not sure how sturdy the decoration would be. Maybe someone else can answer this question better.

Thanks for the kind words, Disa!!!

<><
Old 2005-11-19, 6:18am
Fight glass with FIRE

I was also wondering if you can encase it in clear or if it will just crack the clear afterwards.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-11-19, 11:42am
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

I find that when encasing it it doesn't show up , it either melts away completely or you'll just see a sparkle here or there I haven't been able to get it just right I might be getting it too hot though.

My Joolz & Glass Beads

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog

Old 2005-11-19, 2:32pm

Mmmmm beautifull, Karla!!
I use pixie dust sometimes during the holidays - it does give a pretty sparkle. Let's see if I can find some pics from last year....

Last edited by kandice; 2009-06-03 at 3:53pm.
Old 2005-11-20, 3:47pm

I've tried adding stringer decoration but it just pops right off
Old 2005-11-20, 4:54pm
San Diego Toni

I have a bunch of pixie dust, but have never had much luck using it. What's the secret? Do you have to roll it a bunch of times, or is there another way to apply it?? I'd love to be able to use it!
Thanks all!

toni
Old 2005-11-21, 1:23am

I roll the bead in the dust and then wave it a few times in the flame so it sticks. I never could get stringer to stick on top of it, though.

Old 2005-11-21, 5:13am
You can call me Slater

I use pixie dust too. The best way I have found it to work for me is this: Pour some pixie dust into a shot glass, make your bead towards the end of a mandrel, then dip your bead in the pixie dust. I also tap my mandrel a little bit on the edge of the shot glass to remove any excess. Flame flash.
Old 2005-11-21, 6:54am
Formerly SirWatson

I like to keep my pixie dust stored in glass baby food jars, and like Penny, dip the warm bead into the jar to coat it in the dust. I, too, tap the mandrel on the edge of the jar to remove any extra dust.

The trick to pixie dust is to get the bead warm enough so the dust will stick, but not so hot that the bead can move and become mishapen (sp?). I flash the bead in the flame until the entire bead starts to glow, at which point, I dip it into the jar and spin. Once the bead is evenly coated, I return it to the flame and flash it until it start to glow red again. Then, I pop the bead into the kiln! That's it!

<><
Old 2005-11-21, 9:46am
San Diego Toni

Ooh dipping it sounds like a good idea - seems as though you'll get good coverage that way too. I'm gonna try that this week. Thanks for the tips!
Toni
Old 2005-11-21, 7:09pm

Pixie dust works extremely well for honeycombs or base backrounds for inside out blown soft glass beads. Never exposing the pixie dust to direct flame contact maintains its silky integrity. To achieve this effect with out cracking, the bead must be inflated and condensed several times to get the glass to fully accept the dust.

Old 2005-11-25, 6:18pm
Lost & confused

I made these beads LAST Christmas.. pixie dust with raised reduction frit stringer.. I can't remember exactly how I made them, except that it did take quite a bit of time for me to get the hang of applying the stringer over the top of the pixie dust without having it 'ball' up and pop off... I haven't tried doing this again since, so maybe it's something to think about again. Unfortunately, the photo isn't the best, because the reduction frit REALLY sparkled on these.

Cheers,
Sue
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-26, 8:28am
Crispy Critter

I make my beads in the middle of the mandrel and apply pixie dust using a trough made of aluminum foil. I roll, flash in the flame, roll again, flash again, and pop into the kiln. I get a nice, heavy coverage this way for maximum bling.

Old 2005-11-26, 6:34pm
*glass spaz*

Inspired by Karla's goldies, I made an earring set and a focal bead this last week. Patty is annealing them for me. When I get them back, I will show them off. Thanks for inspiring me to use my pixie dust. I love the effect I got!

Old 2005-12-03, 11:29am
Formerly SirWatson

Princess - Did you ever get the beads back? I wanna see!

<><