Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-02-17, 2:30am
Artistically Absorbed

Default Devardi Boro?

Has anyone tried it out yet? I did a search but didn't see any specific thread. If so how was it? Did the colors stay true? Shocky? Incompatible? Just wondeing if anyone has some experience with it yet?
-Echo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-17, 6:17am

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42608
From the Melting Pot.

Old 2012-02-17, 1:52pm
Artistically Absorbed

Thanks Rebecca!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-18, 9:15am
Borovangelist

Even with all that, though, try it and get back to us. For the price it's worth a shot.

Just clean up your bench first to make clean up easier if it explodes

Edit:

In the interest of trying it out, I'm ordering some. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Here's what I just ordered:

quarter
Transparent cobalt
Lily pad
opaque turquoise
opaque medium brown
opaque orange
opaque black

Rod
opaque red
opaque lemon yellow
opaque light pink
opaque mango

full
opaque white

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2012-02-18 at 9:35am. Reason: derrr
Old 2012-02-18, 1:09pm

Ohh brilliant Tom, I look forward to seeing what you think of them

Old 2012-02-18, 2:15pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

(I just posted this over at the melting pot)

Quick and dirty review. I bought the sample pack they had to test it out. Here's what I found:

Colors are quick to bubble and devit, but not much more than some of the older crayon colors
I used to use. I worked it colder than I usually do, and the bubbling was minimized. The colors
are decent, and don't fade in the flame or kiln. No compatibility problems so far mixing it with GA,
old Colormax, Northstar, etc. etc. - but I'm still keeping an eye on the pieces.
It survived deep encasements without checking.

It's good basic glass for a very reasonable price. It doesn't have much of the glam and glitter
of the special effects glass, but it performs reasonably well, and the price is definitely right.

I have ordered before from this company (they don't know me from Adam, so no special treatment),
and they have always been a quick turnaround and excellent treatment. Haven't had any problems, so
I can't attest to how they handle those. Hope I never have to, obviously.

My advice is to invest a few $$ in the color sample pack and play with it.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-02-25, 11:47pm
Borovangelist

The first of my tests: http://munkinarts.com/blog/2012/02/2...-testing-pt-1/

|
|
Old 2012-02-26, 12:33am
Wonder-wench

thanks for the early reviews, Karen and Menty666!

Old 2012-02-26, 4:20am

Thanks Tom - a very interesting read and I look forward to part 2 - I wonder what it will do when its encased

Old 2012-02-26, 8:40am

Great info thanks very much for sharing.

Old 2012-02-29, 2:12pm
Borovangelist

Second round of tests. Please to enjoy: http://munkinarts.com/blog/2012/02/2...-testing-pt-2/

|
|
Old 2012-03-02, 4:19pm

Tom, how is the red to work with? Does it boil/bubble/shock? It's a nice color.

Old 2012-03-02, 9:30pm
Borovangelist

I only played with it for those three beads, but it was rather enjoyable to work with. I used a fairly gentle flame, but it worked easily with little trouble, a bit like Momka's Carmen red.

I was surprised I didn't liver it actually, it's often a problem for me because I'm impatient.

The only ones so far that I've had shocking issues with are the turquoise, once with the green, and the white's still kind of iffy because of the clear mixed in.

eta: Even with those three, they're still usable. It wasn't like the instant frit style popping I've seen in some of the soft glasses I've inadvertently plunged straight into the flame.

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2012-03-02 at 9:33pm.
Old 2012-03-03, 7:33pm

Thanks for the info Tom. I don't know if I can bring myself to order from them, (There used to be some BS on their site about boro workers not needing to anneal and it pissed me off, maybe forever) but it is a nice red still.

Old 2012-03-03, 9:54pm

not nearly as detailed as menty's....

I got a lot of those when I was first starting out. ANDDD found them to be subpar to NS and GA in general. BUT as a noobie just trying to learn and dink around with whats what they arnt bad.

Old 2012-03-03, 10:34pm
Borovangelist

They won't be overthrowing NS, GA, TAG and the like anytime soon. But there are a couple of colors that are nice to add to the rack. The coloring on the black, for example, leaves a lot to be desired.

I still need to try the others, but I might order more of the red. That was one of the colors I only bought rod of and it held the color well.

|
|
Old 2012-03-04, 11:14am
Playing with Fire!

Thank you for the reviews Tom, I've been wondering about them.

-Ed-

Playing with Fire!