Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-27, 3:07pm

Default New Oval Mandrels for Regalize Leather Bracelets

My husband bought me some of the mandrels to make beads for the leather regalize bracelets, yeeks this is big - anybody have any advice before I try it??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-27, 4:17pm

I make my beads fairly flat because the leather is already fairly thick and I don't really want to add much for bulk.

Have fun - Di
Old 2012-12-28, 5:19pm

I've had fun making beads on the t-beads mandrels. I make mine pretty thin, too. I'm not sure why, but so far I've squared off the bottom of the beads, but there's no reason to do that; it won't spin on the oval leather.

Goody Beads seems to have good prices on the leather and findings, if you're looking.

Nolly
Old 2012-12-28, 5:48pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I use the large Osibin former to help me form straight smooth edges. It's about halfway down on this page at Arrow Springs:
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

I was just using a flat marver but the curved surface REALLY helped me. You could always sub a steel spoon or something with a similar shape. I just happen to like the former.

Old 2012-12-28, 6:08pm

Great idea, Astrid; thanks! I also like the Osibin lentil shaper; it's my go-to tool.

Nolly
Old 2012-12-29, 3:53pm

Links to these mandrels please?
Old 2012-12-29, 3:59pm

I got my Regalize mandrel from T-Beads at info@t-beads.com.
Old 2013-01-06, 2:44pm

well I've made a couple and they are horrible..the ends are really bad..how can you make them even?

Old 2013-01-06, 6:57pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverk47 View Post
well I've made a couple and they are horrible..the ends are really bad..how can you make them even?
Renee, it's like anything else with glass, lots of practice.

I junked about 25 or 30 before I got the sides like I wanted them. I know some people would think that's excessive but I'm doing glass 6 to 7 days a week in production mode. I have learned, over time, that the '100 spacer bead' rule we all used to reply to with "...I'd lose my mind if I had to make 100 spacers in a row!" for me is actually the way to go.

If I want to learn something sometimes it's 15 times, sometimes 30 and sometimes not just 'a hundred' but hundreds.

I can tell you how I do it, I can show you the tools I use, and I'm sure there is even someone who has a video (on you tube I'd search 'making dread beads') on how they do it but none of this is going to make your edges smoother and get them the way you want them.

You want it, you have to practice. I know I sound harsh but I'm not going to apologize for it. Someone was harsh with me once, I don't even honestly remember who it was. It hurt my feelings, it made me angry, and then I got busy trying to prove her wrong. I don't think any of that was her intention and none of it is mine either.

It's just fact. You want it, practice. Get the glass, get the tools, sit down, have failures, get mad, push through it, figure it out, try again, and do some more.

A month, 6 months, or a year from now you'll have smooth edges.

Or you'll quit because you don't like making those types of beads.

Old 2013-01-08, 5:28am
Ave

Artco has the mandrels for a really good price.. Give them a call and he will set you up with exactly the right size..
Avery

Old 2013-01-08, 6:12am

I have never seen these bracelets till now. (Where have I been?) Where can i get the leather and the clasps!
Old 2013-01-08, 7:44am
I'm not Barbie.

This isn't the company I was looking for but it will get your started:

http://www.antelopebeads.com/Regaliz...-Findings.html
Old 2013-01-08, 7:53am

Supplies are available at www.t-beads.com, www.clevertreasures.net and www.goodybeads.com.

Probably lots of others, but these are the ones I know.

For making the beads, go back to the disk method for building your ends. Make one for each end of your bead and fill in the middle. If you do a good job on your disks, your ends will always be good. Make a mark on your mandrel with a pencil if you need help with laying down the width of your bead.

Hope this helps,

Nolly
Old 2013-01-12, 10:38am

thx for all the words of wisdom - I'll get to practicing!!!