Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-04-26, 5:31pm

Default Dome Over Wine Stopper.

I have been making some wine stoppers that are almost too fragile to be used. Does anyone have any idea how I can use a tube to create a dome over the "sculpture" on top of the wine stopper? I have an idea, but not sure if I feel confident enough to try it.

Here are some examples of the type I am talking about. I need to put a clear dome over them to protect them. Obviously these are not going to get the domes. I am asking for future attempts.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-04-27, 3:15am

perhaps some med wall tubing? punty up to a closed off end, diamond shear it off, open up the cup a bit with graphite or jacks, then proceed to weld the edges to your maria?
Old 2014-04-27, 5:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
perhaps some med wall tubing? punty up to a closed off end, diamond shear it off, open up the cup a bit with graphite or jacks, then proceed to weld the edges to your maria?
This is along the line of what I was thinking. Was trying to figure a way to do it without sawing. I can saw, but I'm just lazy, and didn't want to get it out and set it up.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-04-27, 8:14am
Borovangelist

Are you looking to retrofit those or as a "going forward" type of thing?

I only mention it because those stopper pieces aren't kiln safe and you probably don't want them near the flame either

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2014-04-27, 10:37am

What part is too fragile? Would it be easier to redesign a little bit instead?

Old 2014-04-27, 8:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Are you looking to retrofit those or as a "going forward" type of thing?

I only mention it because those stopper pieces aren't kiln safe and you probably don't want them near the flame either
Not these. Future projecrts.

Old 2014-04-27, 8:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
What part is too fragile? Would it be easier to redesign a little bit instead?
The dolphins stidking up and the white water splashes around them.

Old 2014-04-27, 8:11pm

Id use the water splashes to create a better connection for the dolphins. Let it run up from the base along the dolphins side, then flare out a little. Just a suggestion.

Old 2014-04-28, 11:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
Id use the water splashes to create a better connection for the dolphins. Let it run up from the base along the dolphins side, then flare out a little. Just a suggestion.
That's kinda what I do. I guess I could do higher. They still just look too fragile.

Old 2014-04-28, 11:49am
ManBearPig

I would use some light cobalt and make some waves for the dolphins and give them a good solid base. Let it wrap up around them. The cobalt is light enough to still see through to see the dolphin, but will give it a lot of extra strength.

Old 2014-04-28, 5:23pm

I was thinking the same as Rose and Chad. A wave something like this http://www.art4thesoul.com/wavesculptures-ANCH.html as your base and wave, perhaps a bit of clear/cobalt/white to swirl at your connection from water to dolphin.

Old 2014-04-29, 8:33am

I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for the tips. I did make one with a dome that I will try to photograph and post. It's not real pretty, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 2014-04-29, 10:03am

Here is the one I did and added the dome to. Not the prettiest thing in the world. It actually looks better in the photo than in reality. Chad's idea to use light cobalt for waves and stability is a real good one except I don't have any light cobalt. I think I'll try to mix clear with my regular cobalt and see what happens.

Old 2014-04-29, 10:23am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Here is the one I did and added the dome to. Not the prettiest thing in the world. It actually looks better in the photo than in reality. Chad's idea to use light cobalt for waves and stability is a real good one except I don't have any light cobalt. I think I'll try to mix clear with my regular cobalt and see what happens.

That would probably work fine. I would use a little cobalt and a lot of clear. Doesn't matter if it's not mixed up completely. A little variation would probably be nice.

I like the idea of the dome over the piece, but I would be wary of it. If you close the dome completely, you are creating stress inside it. And, if the dome isn't even in wall thickness, you are creating stress. Glass with stress + someone grabbing it to pull it out of wine bottle = problem waiting to happen.

Old 2014-05-09, 4:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
Do you mean something like this?

Old 2014-05-09, 4:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I would use some light cobalt and make some waves for the dolphins and give them a good solid base. Let it wrap up around them. The cobalt is light enough to still see through to see the dolphin, but will give it a lot of extra strength.
How's this?

Old 2014-05-09, 5:27am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
How's this?

Yeah. That's what I was talking about. That should provide a much better connection.

Old 2014-05-09, 10:35pm

I love the stoppers, where do you get the stopper itself from?
Old 2014-05-10, 12:50am
Slogan Challenged...

You could lose the stopper and just do those as little sculptures, perhaps with a removable dome. I like that last one with the cobalt mix. Nice work!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-10, 1:47pm

Thanks evryone for the comments. The waves for the dolphin were made using dark cobalt and egyptian white sand and clear. Equal lenghts of each and heated and twisted and pulled. I may have folded and repeated, but I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I love the stoppers, where do you get the stopper itself from?
ezpots.com, but I have ordered from someplace else before. Do a Google search and you will find plenty.

Last edited by getdul981; 2014-05-10 at 5:58pm.
Old 2014-05-13, 11:46am

Thank you
Old 2014-05-14, 12:45am

I love your stoppers

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2014-05-20, 3:07pm

Thank you Glitzy.

Old 2014-06-20, 2:12am

Default Thanks Getdul981

There I did my thing with the wine stopper thing Thanks Getdul981 for the help!
Old 2014-06-21, 6:35pm

Thanks Nighthwk, but you did all the work. Beautiful work too!! All I did was tell you where to find the stoppers. What did you use to secure them with? I use E 6000 cement.

Old 2014-06-29, 1:40pm

Loctite GO2 crystal clear
Old 2014-07-01, 5:26am

Thanks.

Old 2014-08-26, 6:23am

Those dolphins look great. The dome is a cool idea for a stopper, but I might go for something a bit more on the spherical side if you're going to continue down that route (and maybe work in a tiny bit of white frit near the bottom for spray). It's just that the first thing I thought when I saw the elongated dome was "condom." But then again, I was raised in the sewers by rats, so my thoughts should not be trusted.