Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-23, 11:02am
I speak Murrini!

Unhappy Any Vendors have Lauscha 104 Soft Clear 4-6mm? HELP!!!

Hi There...

I NEED HELP!!! I am desperately looking for the new "Lauscha 104 Soft Clear" in smaller diameter rods!!! (Meaning TRULY 4-6mm or even up to 7mm!!!) This is NOT the "reformulated" Lauscha, but the variation they specifically call "LAUSCHA 104 SOFT CLEAR" (not sure what the difference is, but I'm just trying to stay consistent).

I'm currently sitting on 4+ lbs. of Lauscha 104 Soft Clear in 8-10mm; it's gonna take me days/weeks to pull this all down to a smaller diameter on my Hot Head And that's a HUGE waste of my time and resources (I'm stuck using 1 lb. canisters of MapPro for now).

I know the smaller diameter exists!!! I had at least a lb. of it when this stuff first came out (last year?) but I cleaned that particular resource OUT!

I did a Google search; various vendors come up but as I check each one, I see that either it's bringing up the "reformulated" version, or this size is (even though listed) actually SOLD OUT! I recently made a purchase where the listing indicated 6-8mm (a reasonably workable size for me) but the product received is a majority of 8mm to 10mm. On a Hot Head, this is a BIG problem.

I know what I'm asking is to have a vendor actually hold the rods in their hand, and VERIFY that the diameter of the rods their selling me are SMALLER - within the 4mm to 6mm (MAX!) range. I'm willing to pay more...even though I'm already paying $55/lb. for stuff that causing me HUGE HEADACHES!

Can't anyone help me? It would so sincerely be appreciated!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-23, 11:24am
-boring beads-

De, did you ask Grace? She might have some...itīs in her color chart...

www.lauschalady.com

Anastasia
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-23, 12:01pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Anastasia...I'll write her how and ask if she could personally check. I'm so sad right now...

Appreciate the suggestion!

De

Old 2010-01-23, 12:03pm

De.....have you tried the reformulated before?? I can't remember if you have or not but that's the only one I have in 4-6mm.
I have no idea when I'll be ordering more soft clear but I think Grace just got a shipment in. If not, Paula would have some and what about Glass daddy???
Those are the only names I know if besides Jodel and I wouldn't recommend going to her. (Sad to say)

Old 2010-01-23, 12:14pm
I speak Murrini!

Reenie...I've not tried it but am at wits end, so maybe I should get a lb. and give it a try! You KNOW the diameter I'm looking for...GOD how I wish they'd sell this stuff in STRINGERS! Do you think my Hot Head would start hazing it up? It's the main reason I'm paying so much more for the Lau 104 SC; I can work it for, like, 2 hours in the HH flame and no haze.

I'm SO bummed right now...

Thank you for the suggestion!

De

Old 2010-01-23, 12:18pm

Had I known this....I would have put a few rods in your order....BUT I can throw a few in an envelope on Monday and you can try it out and see???
Don't buy a full pound yet unless you like it.
I'm hoping to restock the soft clear soon....as long as the sun shines and everyone on this end gets back to working fulltime

Old 2010-01-23, 12:33pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Reenie - that would be so appreciated! I'm thinking that I'm gonna post my larger diameter Lau 104 SC in Garage Sale. I know for anyone on a fuel/oxy torch that has a little more power than the Hot Head, this stuff is magnificent! The cost for return my purchased, larger rod is just more $ down the drain, and I also have a significant amount (2+ lbs.) that was part of a trade with a lovely person here on LE; I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings for ANYTHING, so maybe selling the whole kit-and-kaboodle would be best.

I'm feeling quite turd-like right now...

De

Old 2010-01-23, 12:36pm
And silence is golden

Paula (Flamedame) has 6-8 mm size in the Soft Clear. You might ask Paula to sort out the smallest of those rods for you.
Old 2010-01-23, 12:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Paula (Flamedame) has 6-8 mm size in the Soft Clear.
Thanks Aleta, but 6-8 is on the bigger side of what I need (4 is optimum - 6 is about as big as I can manage) and my last purchase of 6-8 seemed to be mostly 8 and some even 9+.

I wish I was close enough to sneak in someone's back door and hand pick 'em! What a BIG BABY I'm being! Still, I know what works best with my torch, so I'm gonna hold out hope, fingers crossed, and keep looking.

De

Old 2010-01-23, 12:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Anyone want to buy my 6-8 (closer to 9mm)? I've got LOTS!

De

Old 2010-01-23, 12:57pm
And silence is golden

Hey De, I would hold onto that glass in the event that you upgrade one day to a torch that will melt those rods like butter. If it's a good glass, I see no reason to part with it! You never know when it might become "extinct"!
Old 2010-01-23, 1:11pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Hey De, I would hold onto that glass in the event that you upgrade one day to a torch that will melt those rods like butter. If it's a good glass, I see no reason to part with it! You never know when it might become "extinct"!
Well, I've got a new Minor and Oxycon; we are going to have to do some "remodeling" of the garage first before hooking it up - so I'm looking at 3-6 months waiting on that (I live in a frustrating world, don't I!)

And sitting on 4+ lbs of clear that I CAN'T USE RIGHT NOW - with almost NONE that I can use right now isn't really something I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

De

Old 2010-01-23, 1:16pm
I speak Murrini!

And besides Moretti Clear - that turns foggy and brown and ugly on my Hot Head - is there EVER going to be a regularly available, long-term lovely CLEAR? Using a nice glass that potentially is going to become "extinct" - or not regularly available in an appropriately sized, workable (for everyone, on various torches!) diameter is adding to the frustration. I'm sure that's why different diameters are made, right? Different needs/different applications?

Argh!

(I'm quite a grump today, ain't I? )

De

Old 2010-01-23, 1:51pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

De, I think I may have what you're looking for. I'll be going to the studio at some point tomorrow, and I will look! I don't think I have more than 1/2#, but I'll let you know.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-01-23, 1:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Anyone want to buy my 6-8 (closer to 9mm)? I've got LOTS!

De
Why not return the glass if it isn't the size that you needed?
Just a thought.

Old 2010-01-23, 1:54pm

Hey De. Lauscha does make that size but they were out of it when I ordered last time. They make all the way down to 2 to 4 mm. Maybe you can get a buddy to pull down the bigger rods for you. Heck I could have pulled them down if I knew you were going to have trouble. Of course your order would have been delayed by a week...
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-01-23, 2:00pm

Just a note for people in love with the Soft Clear. It doesn't look like a lot of vendors have it in stock. I am down to just 30 lbs total and I won't be reordering from Lauscha until Spring and until I sell off more of the reformulated clear which I had several hundred lbs of. Also Lauscha raised it's prices 3 times since I ordered last although the dollar has gone down some so maybe it's a wash. Just want to post this now so that every one is not upset later when I am OUT!!!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-01-23, 2:53pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Paula~~~

Sheesh, girl - I'd NEVER have thought to ask you to pull them down, and as far as I'm concerned, that's WAY TOO MUCH TO ASK! But I sure appreciate the offer

I've arranged to send back some of what I have that is too large and the remainder, which was part of a trade with a much-loved friend here on LE, will be posted in Garage shortly.

Hoping to hear from Grace - if she has the diameter I need, I'm buying BUNCHES! (Fingers crossed!)

Whew, thanks everyone!

De

Old 2010-01-23, 2:59pm

Let me know what happens with Grace. I have 6-8mm rods and alot of those rods aren't any bigger then the moretti colors soooo you still could be okay with that. I just don't have the really thin rods.

Old 2010-01-23, 3:54pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Reenie...I'll be sure to keep you posted. As it seems it may be a pain in the behind to return the product I have, it's all going in Garage Sale for now. Come and get it!

De

Old 2010-01-23, 4:10pm
uncouthful cats

Just a thought, De - I know you want to keep using what has worked well for you, but, until you can find more of it, have you considered trying Reichenbach clear? Not that I encase anything, gods forbid!, but I've heard it's really nice & also a bit less expensive than the Lauscha. Reichenbach rods tend to be skinnier, too. Might work in a pinch?

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-01-23, 5:19pm

Hope your able to get some from Grace (Lauscha Lady), I ordered a pound and a half of the 4-6mm soft clear just the other day, not able to find it from anyone in the US.

Dawn
Old 2010-01-25, 7:10pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

I have .56# of Lauscha Soft. Of the rods included ONE is a hair over 7mm. Most are 6-6.5.

I'm in Grass Valley, it wouldn't take long to ship. Let me know if you want it, De.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-01-28, 9:26am
Lauscha Lady

I still have lots of the 4-6mm soft. But as was mentioned, this is new stock and prices have gone up...
/grace

Old 2010-01-28, 12:28pm

Prices have gone up a lot!! 3 times since I bought last! And Lauscha charges more for the skinny rods! (Can't quite figure that one out!)

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-01-28, 11:05pm
I speak Murrini!

ACK...sorry for the delay in getting back to my own darn thread! It's "tax season" 'round here, and so I'm only coming on LE for tiny reprieves! Andrea - thank you so much for the offer; I've hooked up with Grace and I think I'm set...for a little while, at least!

And Paula...I'd figure the higher price for the stringer size rods it shear frustration pay; I can pull awesome stringers, I just don't wanna take the time Maybe, if they are hand-pulled, this quantifies the price? It would in MY book!

Thanks everyone!

De

Old 2010-01-29, 3:04pm

Dee. All Lauscha Glass is handpulled. So to me and my simple mind I think that if they are pulling it anyway they shouldn't be surcharging the skinnier rods..

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-02-08, 9:36am
Mary Lockwood

The thinner rods cost more because it takes the same amount of effort to pull a 5mm or an 10mm rod, but you get more rods per pound in the thinner diameters- so added up it's more work per pound.

De, Glassdaddy has the best price on the soft lauscha. He just sent me an email yesterday- I'll forward a copy for you. It tells what he has left and I bet you could contact him to see if he could pull out the skinnies for ya.

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2010-02-08 at 9:42am.
Old 2010-02-14, 12:28am
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Mary! I received my order of Lauscha 104 Soft Clear from Grace (Lauscha Lady) that was purchased during her sale. It's looks completely awesome and the perfect size! Thanks so much Grace! I'll post when I try it out...

I'll keep Glassdaddy in mind too, Mary - for my next order! I am just crazy in love with this CLEAR!

De

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-04-24 at 2:10pm. Reason: Updating post...
Old 2010-02-14, 12:32am
Hat or Cake?

Glad you got it. I was about to say that Grace had it - I just bought some during her sale, too.
Beth