LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-11-23, 10:12am
A Dragonfly's Journey....

Default Glass storage! How do YOU do it?

We've defiantely come across a small problem, in that we can't seem to figure out a new way to store our glass rods? They can't stay where they are! We need a new storage system! Pictures and ideas would be wonderful! How do YOU do it?
Old 2011-11-23, 10:50am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Glass storage

There are probably hundreds of pics on the forum of glass storage schemes. Most involve either round or square PVC tubes of one variety or another; down spout material, pvc pipe, and ppvc fence material being very popular. Others have used such things as milk crates and various seperators.

I started with 1 1/4" pvc pipe cut to 18" sections then glued together to form a matrix. Each tube holds about 2 pounds of glass. As my 'collecction' grew I moved to 2" square pvc down spout material cut to 15". I glued it into larger matrix 'blobs' also. These I have on shelves of a Home Depot heavy duty shelving unit. One caution; if you use one of the commercial shelving units replace the particle board shelves with something heavier such as 5/8" or 3/4" plywood. Glass is heavy! I don't have a pic handy but maybe I can take one later.
Old 2011-11-23, 10:56am

I have seen pics, I was just mostly looking for tips and ideas
Old 2011-11-23, 1:12pm
Hobby Junkie

Cut up PVC pipe in sideways milk crates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-23, 3:02pm
N2Beadz

You mentioned you've seen pics. I did a search and noticed that this thread had the most post to view in case you missed it...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=glass+storage

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=glass+storage

Last edited by donia; 2011-11-23 at 3:04pm.
Old 2011-11-23, 3:20pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you use PVC and cut/trim it yourself I find it worth while to have a deburring tool. A simple slide around the cut edge and it is clean of all those little particles. The tool is simply a handle that holds a small 'S' shped blade. Cost about $8.00 on the web. Useful for metal as well.

Best way to cut the PVC is with a cutoff saw. Next best is a band saw. Cutting by hand with a hacksaw is possible but labor intensive. Do not try to use a skillsaw or electric jigsaw unless you are very proficient and skilled. The round stuff can be cut with a special pliers like cutter that costs about $14.00 or so.

Next tip. If you use the 2" square downspout material you can pieces of plastic that fit inside onn the diagonal and double your spaces. Handy if you have small quantities of different colors. Here is my boro storage rack

Some do some don't but I find it very handy to print labels on Avery 8167 style return address labels for every rod before it gets taken to the studio.
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-23, 4:34pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I use the pvc square fence rails too but my dh made a big shelf above my kiln/torch area
I can take a pic tomorrow if I remember. It holds alot of glass, not full BUT alot of glass for me.....The post above me in my opinion has TONS of glass.........I could sit and stare at it all day!!

Old 2011-11-25, 10:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

It isn't quite a ton but is over the top, I have to admit. I tend to be a collector. Before the economy tanked I had a good retirement. So if you want to come sit and stare at it you're very welcome. Be forewarned I'll put you to work on the torch after a few hours staring though.
Old 2011-11-25, 10:23am
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh, I wish you were closer, I'd definetly take you up on it. I was terrible with scrapbooking stuff, have tons in my closet untouched........I promised myself I would not do that with glass!!! Almost 6 years and I've been very good.....well, pretty good. I'm not a tool horder anymore and I just plain can't afford so much glass anymore LOL

Old 2011-11-25, 10:32am

i would love to have even a quarter of that glass!!
Old 2011-11-25, 10:32am
Mr Brutus RIP

Ok, I ran out there and snapped a few of my storage......
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-25, 11:18am

Oh goodness! I like your studio! And I still wish I had half the glass that you do!
Old 2011-11-25, 11:46am
Mr Brutus RIP

Yea? it all fits in a small box when I inventory LOL So many of those are empty or have one or two in them...... I used to do alot of glass trading when I first got started and almost everything from the kiln over to the right is stuff I dont' use.... I use the stuff that is right above the kiln LOL stuff on the bench there is from a recent trade......LOL

Old 2011-11-25, 12:42pm

You don't use ANY of it!?
Old 2011-11-25, 2:21pm
Mr Brutus RIP

The stuff on the right........no not really. It is just odds and ends and alot of stuff I have no clue about. some Lausha, some other stuff, just a bunch of mixed stuff. If you look at my beads you will see I mainly use bright colors of moretti......AND, I mainly use the commercial stringers....... LOL

Old 2011-11-25, 2:52pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Still it's a nice collection and great storage.
And a nice studio... love the orange. I like strong/bright colors also
Old 2011-11-25, 3:51pm

It is still very nice
Old 2011-11-25, 8:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Cut up PVC pipe in sideways milk crates.
I've done exactly what Cori is saying. In fact, I need to make another one.
I get the rectangular milk crate and 2" pvc tubing. I cut the tubing into 12" lengths. I plan on getting the materials for another one tomorrow (Sat 11/26), so I'll try to remember to take pictures.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-11-25, 8:40pm

Pics would be wonderful!
Old 2011-11-25, 10:01pm
Mr Brutus RIP

THank you, Orange is my fave when it comes to beads and such so I thought it was the perfect color to put in there! I did have the storage underneath on a rack before but it got dirty fast and the little ones kept pulling the stringer out. And, now I have my chickens that come visit me so I'm sure they would have pecked at it too so we had to find a better solution. Have you tried looking at ikea site? They have really neat 4/6 and 9 or 12 square storage shelves........I'll go find a link. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086/ Like this. Then you could use pvc pipe or fencing rails...... comes in different colors too, black, white and birch.

Old 2011-11-26, 12:25am
Can't you see I'm busy???

I keep my glass, bundled with velcro ties, in plastic storage boxes. Went to this system after trying the PVC pipe. My garage studio is way too dusty for that method.
Old 2011-11-26, 9:56am
Curmudgeon Engineering

There was a woman who used that type 'cabinet' to hold her pvc tubes who posted with pics about a month or so ago. Anything that will corral the tubes and 'bunch' them together will work as long as it is sturdy enough.
Old 2011-11-26, 11:24am
Mr Brutus RIP

I have my pvc railing glued together with pvc glue but you can buy zip ties in big lengths. We actually saw some almost as tall as I....not that I'm tall but I'm 4'11 Its a running joke here that my sons car is zip tied so we always include a different size in his christmas stocking.... LOL

Old 2011-11-26, 1:07pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dragonfly's Journey View Post
We've defiantely come across a small problem, in that we can't seem to figure out a new way to store our glass rods? They can't stay where they are! We need a new storage system! Pictures and ideas would be wonderful! How do YOU do it?

You could buy a used metal lateral file, used wood dresser and store in those or plastic milk crates, a wood planter box or wine barrel and store glass rods upright. You can also utilize large glass pickle jars.

Some people just use a plastic laundry basket in the corner of the room.

I have glass everywhere! Here are some pics. I will say that I much prefer the PVC rain gutter from Home Depot I used for my BE on the top shelf of the metal shelving unit. It lays very nicely sideways. Top shelf is BE, middle shelf is mosty CiM and CiM 96. last shelf is all 104 effetre, Vetrofond, Double Helix, ASK, Kugler, Lausha and well, you get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-26 at 3:48pm.
Old 2011-11-26, 2:48pm
Gay rights R human rights

My wonderful dad made me a cabinet 5' x 5' with 12 cubbies and 3 drawers for frit and stuff. Wish I had more fence rail but I just cant afford it right now.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2011-11-27, 7:50am

AHH! I love it love it love it<3
Old 2011-11-28, 2:02pm

Presently, I'm using a six-drawer credenza - probably from the 60s. Inside each drawer are 2 horizontal dividers I made out of cardboard so that there are three spaces in each drawer. In each space are several different versions of the color assigned to the drawer (reds drawer, yellows, etc) . Individual colors are banded together with pipe cleaners. Almost all rods are labeled. The drawer pulls now have ribbons tied to them in the color of the drawer.

I would really love a pvc/rack system but its so dang dusty here in the desert it's not worth the time.

Last edited by 5betsy; 2011-11-28 at 2:02pm. Reason: Handily enough, the drawers are longer than most rods, so I don't have to cut them. Plus, I use one coe right now.
Old 2011-12-01, 6:10pm

I have one of these: http://www.staples.com/Sandusky-Delu...product_449900 and I use the PVC to separate the glass colors. Having the ability to close the doors securely (and even lock it if ya want) really cuts back on dust, as my studio is in my garage.

Old 2011-12-02, 1:41am

I have a few hints that might help. . .

First - one of my best resources for my studio is one of those 'last resort for stuff' shops. Here in Alabama, it's Mikes Merchandise - but resale office supplies are good as well - there, I bought an old steel cabinet with shelves and doors for around 40 dollars.
Second - the pipe was getting expensive - as due to the depth of the cabinet I was only getting about four cuts to a pipe, but I had all that door space as well - and no real reason to have to close the cabinet doors - it's in a corner in my garage - seemed a shame to see 5 ft on either side just blank. So I went to Walmart and bought four of those hang over the door shoe holders. I liked the material ones, but I also like full visability - especially for half rods and the like, so I bought the ones that have the white netting pockets. There are 24 pockets per, and I can hang one on each side of the doors - giving me 96 storage bins. Next, a bulk pack of 20 ounce cups - if you can find a little bigger (24 oz?) , even better! I put a plastic cup in each pocket for stability and so the glass won't slip through the holes.
Now I can see my shorts - have all the glass lined up, and a massive amt of space in which to store - shelves for larger items (grinders, kiln bricks, etc - which a heavy item on the bottom shelf for stability in the cab is probably a good idea) -
Also, a last tip on the shoe holders - if you put long heavy rods in the cups - such as a CIM (which I always buy in pounds) - or a Lauscha rod - they will lean out towards you, if that worries you - a quick solution: bunjee cords to go across the top of the cups just below the brim.

P.S. Another thing I managed to find by hitting estate sales, was one of those wire display racks usually at the impulse buy area ($1.00). Mine is one of those that's steel rod and starts with a small top shelf getting deeper shelves as you go down and the shelves are angled. On that I taped down (I'm in the South - so duct tape of course! ) bubble wrap. Since the rack is steel rod the front holders also got bubble wrap on the inside (but really I could have just put duct tape across that too (sticky side towards front so the edges of rod rest against silver side). This cushioned my glass, is moldable so I can keep the glass in place (if a bubble is in my way I get to pop).

Both ideas also allow for easy labeling that i can change out quickly - so if I want to move collections around I can do pretty efficiently.

I will post a pic in a day or two (as soon as I can clean up a bit around there all the boxes of christmas stuff has narrowed my path.)
Old 2011-12-02, 5:12pm

I love seeing what everyone else uses and different ideas. I did mine using the deck railing stuff.

My very first storage was putting them inside of a shoe organizer with the shoe separators removed.

I recently redid it into an old outdated stereo cabinet. This was one of my husbands finds at someones curbside. He can never resist picking up someones 'outcasts'. LOL Drives me crazy a lot of times, but THIS was a treasure to me.
It didn't have a glass door on it anymore but he happened to have one from some other previous 'find'. We made that door work some how. Not a perfect fit but good enough to keep major dust/grime out.

OH, and my new cabinet has room to 'grow' in. LOL

Last edited by JoyceMI; 2011-12-02 at 5:17pm.