Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-11-27, 2:07pm

Question Marbles

Can marbles be made on a Minor running on two 5lpm/10 psi machines?
Old 2011-11-27, 4:49pm
senior citizen lampworker

yes, it just takes a while.

A YouTube video I made:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-27, 5:28pm

When I was running a minor I made marbles up to one inch in diameter but that was on a tank of oxy.

Figure yeh could make em at least half an inch in diameter within a reasonable amount of time.

The more patience yeh have the bigger yeh can go really
Old 2011-11-28, 1:50am
Always learnin' & yearnin

I made my very first marble on a minor! takes a bit but it was very fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-28, 8:55am

Our local non profit teaches Marble making classes on Minors running NG and tanked Oxy.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:52am
Pyromaniac

The minor is very under-rated, but you can crank it up pretty high on 2 5 LPM oxycons. It's the equivalent of the centerfire on many two-stage torches. I'd say up to an inch wouldn't be too slow, and 3/4" marbles should be easy peasy, based on my experience.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-11-29 at 9:00am. Reason: whoops!
Old 2011-11-29, 3:37am
Save the Numbats

The question should be what size marbles.

1/2 inch and 3/4 will be no problem. 1 inch, might take a while... 1 1/2 inch will kill you to try.

I used to make marbles on a Major/Minor, and that was my experience. I was using tanked oxy though.
Old 2011-11-29, 9:26am

I use two 5lpm concentrators on a lynx and I make about one inch on average marbles. I don't think size is the real issue because you can just plant your elbows and let it melt. What I have to pay attention to is how far in will the heat penetrate. When I am melting a larger size I will move the gather in the flame slowly allowing the heat to slowly penetrate into the centre. You just have to pay attention to not just heating the surface of the glass but getting the heat into the centre. And just a reminder your a girl and girls can do anything. lol

Old 2011-11-29, 9:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
I use two 5lpm concentrators on a lynx and I make about one inch on average marbles. I don't think size is the real issue because you can just plant your elbows and let it melt. What I have to pay attention to is how far in will the heat penetrate. When I am melting a larger size I will move the gather in the flame slowly allowing the heat to slowly penetrate into the centre. You just have to pay attention to not just heating the surface of the glass but getting the heat into the centre. And just a reminder your a girl and girls can do anything. lol
Really Good point, Deb. I think I cracked one last night because I didnt let the heat penetrate all the way to the center before finishing it. It started as a 1.5" fumed implosion with a pinwheel on the back but for various reasons grew to about 2.25". Everything seemed to be going well until I removed it from the punty and as soon as I went to heat in the mark it checked. Looks like the crack originated from the center.
Old 2011-11-29, 11:51am

That sucks Larry that it cracked, especial at the end. All that time and it ends up in the bottom of the fish tank. At least the fish have something nice to poop on. lol

Old 2011-11-30, 6:33am
Pyromaniac

I hate it when that happens. A lot. I lost a 2" fume pendant that was turning into a paperweight the other night to a planar crack that went right through the design parallel to the back.... the lens basically popped off except one spot where it was molten. I was pretty pissed. Still adjusting to my Barracuda after switching from the lynx. Much less heat penetration

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-11-30 at 6:35am.
Old 2011-11-30, 7:52am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

There is a really old saying somewhere about using the right tool for the job. Using a small torch to make a big marble or pendant is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

The thought that if you use a smaller torch and just keep throwing the heat at the marble for a long time, eventually you will get the center of the mib hot enough is not true. A smaller torch just will not throw off as much heat as a bigger torch! Imagine holding a match under a 1" lump of glass. You can hold that match there for a year and you still won't get enough heat to melt that lump.

Old 2011-11-30, 9:49am

Good point gmkcpa When I first started making beads on a hot head torch (soft glass) there was a limit to the size I could make because of this same concept. Anything i made to big cracked. I used to be able to put black under a thick layer of clear then smooth it out and as I was heating I could see if the heat was getting to the centre of the piece by looking at the black in the middle, when the black starts to glow red i would know that the heat has penetrated deep enough.