Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2008-01-21, 3:12pm
He can do the origami

Default Heart Outline tutorial

Hello everyone, I thought I would offer up a brief tutorial. This is a pendant I have been making for a couple of years. This heart pendant was inspired by my good friend Brent Graber. Some of you may know him as Mr. Smiley. Brent makes awesome boro heart pendants that I have always admired. A couple of ears ago, Brent wrote a tutorial on how to make his hearts. I jumped right in with not enough experience, talent or skill and tried to make one. The results were less then what I wanted.

I stuck with it, trying to make a heart from his tutorial. One day out of sheer frustration, I attacked the blob of glass that should have been a heart with a pair of scissors and had an epiphany. Right in front of me was something else I had been trying to create, unrelated to Brent’s heart pendant. I was trying to create a heart outline pendant from a twisty. My frustration with Brent’s tutorial accidentally took me in the right direction on a totally different project. Last year at Glass Stock I used this as my demo piece and got to demonstrate it to Brent in person.

Heart outline pendant:
Materials: 2 rods of clear glass
2 rods of solid color glass (different colors)
Scissors
Tungsten pick or thin brass shaper or other manipulating tool
Tweezers

Apply a thick stripe of one color to one side of a clear rod. Apply a thick strip of color to the opposite side of the clear rod. With your second clear rod, apply a layer of clear over each stripe of color. Apply a strip of clear in between the two stripes of color on each side of the clear rod. Heat this through, grab the end with your tweezers and twist the clear and colors into a twisted gather. Do not pull or elongate at this time. The object here is to create a gather with a tightly packed helix type design in it.

Heat this gather to a uniform round shape. You should have a round lolipop shaped gather at the end of a clear rod. With your second clear rod, encase the round gather. You can spiral wrap or stripe or whatever method you use for encasing. Heat the encasing in and shape round until you have a smoothly encased round gather. Tip: Let your initial gather cool and solidify a bit before encasing. It will make encasing it easier if the initial gather of glass is not moving around.

Heat the gather and allow gravity and heat to elongate the encased gather. You do not need to speed the process by pulling the gather down. As the gather begins to elongate, the helix design in the gather will begin to “unpack” and pull out into a twisty type design of two separate colors around a clear core. Depending upon the size of your initial gather, allow the gather to elongate about one inch or a little more. Tip: You will want to direct most of your heat to the bottom two thirds of the gather to elongate it. You do not want to heat the original clear rod too much or your gather will pull down and thin out the clear rod. You might accidentally melt the clear rod and your gather will fall off

Now that your gather has elongated, and before it cools too much, take your scissors and cut the gather right up the middle from the end of the gather almost but not completely to the clear rod. The process of cutting it should spread each side out so it looks like an upside down “Y”.

This might be a good time to add some insurance heat. Once you are satisfied it is heated add some heat to the ends of the cut, take your tweezers and gently pinch the ends together, then melt the ends together. Flame polish the inside of the pendant where you cut it. Add some heat to the area you welded together, using your tungsten pick, push from the outside toward the inside to form the “crease” of the heart.

Shape the heart to your liking, add a loop, then flame cut the end of the heart where the clear rod has been attached. When you flame cut the clear rod, make sure you heat the pendant too much or it will deform as you pull the clear rod off. Shape the point of the heart as you pull off the clear rod.

The photo of the final pendant came out terrible but I can’t seem to get a good picture of it no matter what I try. These pendants are fun to make and are great sellers. There are a lot of variations you can do and a lot of experimenting that can produce really nice results. The tutorial is for a very basic design. If someone tries this tutorial I hope I see pics.

Otter
Old 2008-01-21, 3:18pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Nice tutorial! Thanks, Otter! I could see this made without the loop - you could just string the heart right through the center hole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-21, 3:23pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Great tutorial!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-01-21, 4:08pm
He can do the origami

Thank you Mary, if I had any imagination I would think of these things too...lol that is why I am jewelry challenged. I am going to try one like that.

Thanks Karen, I appreciate it

Otter
Old 2008-01-21, 4:13pm

Very cool, Otter. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 2008-01-22, 10:02am

Otter! Wonderful tutorial! I've been trying Brent style hearts and they are fun. Cutting glass is a gas! Never even thought about making a heart with a hole in the middle..... Duh!!!!

Love it..... And I like Mary Beth's idea of not even making a loop! Thanks!!!!!

Old 2008-01-22, 11:42am
He can do the origami

Thank you Leslie, I agree cutting glass is a gas! I do a lot of off mandrel work and cutting glass with scissors is one of my favorite things. I like Mary Beth's idea also and I am going to try it.

Otter
Old 2008-01-22, 2:03pm

I'd love to see some of your off mandrel work. Do you have a website? My friend, Jill Knapp, was at Glasstock with you last year.

Old 2008-01-22, 3:50pm
He can do the origami

Oh Jill is a wonderful person!! Tell her hi for me when you see her. I am so glad they got to go on that cruise. Anyway, no, my website has been down for quite some time and I am too stupid to understand how to replace all the pictures and get it back online. I am going to start doing shows again so I better figure it out lol. By the way I LOVE your website. I like your beads especially your "organic" style beads. I like your fused glass work. I started out in glass doing fusing and slumping.

Otter
Old 2008-01-22, 4:09pm
Does it come in purple?

What a great idea! Thanks for showing us.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2008-01-22, 6:59pm
Eight Miles Wide

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2008-01-24, 2:59am

Thank you Otter for posting this. I tried it out yesterday and had a blast!! Lots of things one can do with this!!
This is my first one (encased boro with frit)...

Second try (same glass combo)

Again, thank you!!

Old 2008-01-24, 3:38am
He can do the origami

Kim, thanks for posting pics. Very nice, I love the encased frit look, I am glad to see you having fun. I can't wait to see where you take it.

Otter
Old 2008-01-24, 11:28am
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are really nice, Kim! You could just hang them from a silver ball chain or a piece of leather and you would be good to go

Old 2008-01-24, 1:35pm

Thanks! I'm having fun with them. Have a couple in the kiln right now, should know how they came out later on tonight. Though, one of them I'm pretty sure will never see the lens of a camera

I went to volunteer in my friend's classroom today. She is the new owner of the top one. I hung it from a silk cord. She was taking it to the teacher's meeting after school to show off....she is sooo much better at promoting my glass than I am....I'm beginning to think she is going to start demanding Rep's pay Hmmmm, maybe I could pay her in beads!! Wait, I already do Don't you love it when your beads go to a home that truly appreciates them?

Old 2008-01-24, 5:14pm
He can do the origami

Absolutely Kim, even at a show when I am selling a large number of beads, you just know sometimes when your beads find the right owner. By the way I have a friend who is a school teacher, she is a GREAT billboard. She likes to show off my work and I have gotten orders from her friends, that is always nice.

Otter
Old 2008-01-24, 7:01pm

Wow Otter! That is a super tutorial. I can't wait to try it. I'm quite new to boro. I have a class with Mr. Smiley this weekend. I hope to get a better understanding of how to work this wonderful glass.
Old 2008-01-24, 8:55pm
He can do the origami

Kwing, my tutorial was done all in soft glass. It is easy to do in soft glass as well as boro so just jump on in there and try it. I hope you have fun at Brent's class. He is a great friend and awesome teacher. I just talked to him earlier, tell him I said hi.

Otter
Old 2008-01-25, 4:34am

Kwing, mine are done in boro only because that's what's the studio is set up for right now. (Be forewarned, once you start boro and get the hang of it, the soft glass sits and pouts about lack of use )

Here's a few I did yesterday, minus the fugly one (which I think the variation was a good idea, I just didn't execute it well at all).

Clear boro with twists and tumble etched for some contrast, a big one and a smaller one

Boro with frit....sort of

OK, I'll stop now. What are you all making with this?

Old 2008-01-25, 2:03pm
He can do the origami

Kim,
I love the first one the best. I am just so excited seeing all your different ideas. Very cool, keep having fun!

Otter
Old 2008-01-27, 7:49pm
Mr Brutus RIP

This is awesome, thanks otter! Soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to give it a try, I love making hearts!!
Sue

Old 2008-01-29, 5:49pm

Otter -- love the open hearts! Gonna have to try them just as soon as we get back from a couple of weeks in Florida. Getting out of Indiana just in time -- they are predicting 4 inches of snow Friday -- the day we leave hee hee
Old 2008-01-30, 12:26am
He can do the origami

glassymom, I think it is funny that you are in Florida and are going to wait until it warms up to try it and the next post after yours, Fjbremer is leaving Indiana to go to Florida for a couple of weeks to "warm up". lol I hope you both try them and I really want to see pictures from anyone who does try them. I make several variations from this technique and it will be awesome to see what you guys do with it.

Otter
Old 2008-01-30, 11:01am
Addicted to Frit!!!

Otter ~ thanks so much for this tutorial! I just took Brent's boro class this past weekend and LOVED it! I struggled a bit with making the hearts but am finally get the hang of it. I can't wait to try your version as well!

KimV ~ LOVE the way all of your hearts turned out! Love the boro with these!!

I think I'll try it in both soft and boro glass. Many possibilities!

Thanks for sharing!
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2008-01-31, 5:59pm

Okay, I finally tried two.... first one is big and bulky and I tried Fools Gold.... turned out mostly brown and not sparkly. Note to self...... small doses of Fools Gold encased....

The second one felt a little easier but still have a long way to go. Otter, thanks for sharing!

Old 2008-01-31, 6:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
Kwing, mine are done in boro only because that's what's the studio is set up for right now. (Be forewarned, once you start boro and get the hang of it, the soft glass sits and pouts about lack of use )

Here's a few I did yesterday, minus the fugly one (which I think the variation was a good idea, I just didn't execute it well at all).

Clear boro with twists and tumble etched for some contrast, a big one and a smaller one

Boro with frit....sort of

OK, I'll stop now. What are you all making with this?
Damn, Kim... cut it out now!!!! those are gorgeous... Thanks much for that great idea, Otter...

Old 2008-01-31, 7:01pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I like those, Leslie!

I made one but didn't give good heat insurance to the crease and it cracked a little there as I put it into the kiln.

My daughter saw it lying on the table the next morning and thought it was really cool, though!

It sort of looks like seaweed twisted into the form of a heart - I need to do another one.

Old 2008-02-14, 3:36pm

Thanks Kay! I really appreciate the kind words!! They always mean so much when they come from other lampworkers. Family doesn't count...they want to eat
I just had something happen that reminded me to come to this thread. I need to again thank Mr. Otter for posting this tutorial...Thank you!!!! One of the etched hearts is in a Gift Guide (Winter) at Etsy!!!! Yup, it's been a good day!

Old 2008-02-14, 9:49pm
He can do the origami

Kim, do you have a link to it?

Otter
Old 2008-02-15, 2:14am

http://www.etsy.com/gift-guides/winter/68 At least this is the link until it is sold or removed