No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2018-03-07, 5:29pm
Jenn @ Kanna Glass Studio

Default Installing gas line to shed studio

Hi! I'm finally getting a permanent studio (I finally stopped moving around). It's been wired, insulated, drywalled, and the tile was installed today. I'm getting giddy!

I'm planning to install a propane gas line to the studio. What PSI do I need for the propane? Am I fine with 5 PSI? I read in one of the other threads that Propane = 5 PSI and Oxygen = 10 PSI. If I need to go to 10 PSI then I need a permit.

If you have any tips or safety suggestions, feel free to respond with tips. I've been scouring the forums for any information I can find and have bookmarked a number of the posts I've found useful. I found Mike Aurelius detailed post on Ventilation and am working with a local HVAC company to see if they can help me out.

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers!

Last edited by jlborek; 2018-03-07 at 5:34pm. Reason: Uploading studio pictures
Old 2018-03-07, 6:03pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi and welcome.

Your torch requirements will be listed with the torch you buy. Some are oxygen hogs others are better. The torch you buy will depend on price, the fuels you can afford, which fuels you choose and what you want to create will help you decide on which torch..

ARRGGGHHH. I just gave you more research to do .

HINT: torches...Alpha, Cricket or Mega Minor

Good luck with your new studio.
Old 2018-03-07, 6:10pm

Thank you! I have a Nortel Midrange Burner. I haven't been able to find any info online and I can't find the packaging for the torch. I've emailed Nortel and I've emailed ArrowSprings who I bought the torch through. Still waiting for responses. I'm open to buying a different torch (ha, ha), but I do like the one I have.
Old 2018-03-11, 7:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlborek View Post
Thank you! I have a Nortel Midrange Burner. I haven't been able to find any info online and I can't find the packaging for the torch. I've emailed Nortel and I've emailed ArrowSprings who I bought the torch through. Still waiting for responses. I'm open to buying a different torch (ha, ha), but I do like the one I have.
HERE YOU GO....

The Midrange Bench Burner is a great torch for both soft and borosilicate glass. The flame is adjustable from a fine point to 1" thick. Narrow head for easy manipulation of glasswork. Smooth tilt and heavy base. Uses 5/16" BC hose.
Suggested gas and pressures:

Propane: 2 to 6 PSI

Natural Gas: 1/4 to 2 PSI

Oxygen: 5 to 8 PSI
Old 2018-03-12, 6:20am

Lorraine - thank you thank you! You’re awesome! I’m going to proceed with installing the basic gas line at max 5 PSI as I think it will serve most of my needs. If I need to increase to higher pressure and get a permit I can entertain that at a future time.
Old 2018-03-13, 7:36pm
Salt Box Beads

You are so very welcome!
Old 2018-05-02, 4:16pm

I finally finished my studio! The ventilation is working great. I have the propane plumbed in.

Two new issues:

#1) I am having an issue with my OxyCon "breathing" and creating a reducing flame. I'm trying to get ready for Bead & Button in a month. After reading this thread, I realize that letting my OxyCon sit for so long has not been a good thing. I've moved a lot in the last 10 years. I live in Florida. Now it's inside an air conditioned shed, but at a minimum i need to rebuild the sieve beds.

#2) I'm trying to get all the safety protocols in place and I'm learning as I go. I didn't realize the need for Flashback Arrestors. So, I was about to start a torch session tonight and got anxiety from watching some of the scary videos. I've ordered a flashback arrestor, but not sure where to place it:

a) between the inlet and the hose?
b) between the torch and the hose?
c) do I need one on my OxyCon as well?

EDIT: Actually found the answer here. Updated question: Can the arrestor be between the torch and the hose? Or do I need a tiny bit of hose between the torch and the arrestor?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Last edited by jlborek; 2018-05-02 at 4:34pm.
Old 2018-05-02, 5:50pm
Phill

The flashback arrester can be connected directly to the torch.

Some will add a little section of hose so that the arrester will be out of the way below the torch bench.

Or because they don't have threaded fittings fixed on the torch and have hose clamps instead.
(That is how mine is set up.)
Old 2018-05-02, 5:57pm

Thank you! I have threaded fittings. Yay! Much appreciated. So excited to be safe!