Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-02-11, 7:55pm

Default Can someone help settings for nikon D60

I just got a new nikon d60 with the 55 to 200 zoom. My pictures are blurry and i`m afraid I am sometimes technically challenged. can any of you assist me with the settings. When I set it on automatic with the 55 mm zoom, my pictures were o.k., however I could not get a nice clear big close up shot. I do have a light tent and photo bulbs.

Maybe it would help if I knew what others settings were on. When I use the 200mm it is so blurry it is just a shadow. Also the flash always pops up.

Any help would be appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have a great day.
Rhonda
Old 2009-02-11, 9:07pm
Wahwahbabypants

check the setting on the actual lens. make sure it is in automatic mode.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-02-12, 8:18am

Thank you Charlene. I will try that

Have a great day.
Rhonda
Old 2009-02-15, 7:32am

How blurry are they? Is any part of the picture in focus? If part is in focus, you may want to switch to aperature priority and use a high number (start at f16 and go up to f22). That should allow more to be in focus from the front to the back of the bead.

If no part is in focus, back up. The problem then becomes that your bead may not fill as much of the frame as you would like. If that's the case, try a different lens, if you have one.

Mary
Old 2009-02-15, 10:27am

I forgot to mention...

Once you have a lens that will have the bead in focus, you can get some filters that screw onto the end of your lens to simulate a macro lens. My set was about $70 (I don't remember when), and is called a close up set made by Hoya.

Mary
Old 2009-02-15, 10:30am

Rhonda,

How do you transfer the images to glass? I tried to figure it out awhile ago, but didn't get very far. It's very cool.
Thanks,
Mary
Old 2009-02-28, 3:56am

Are you using a Tripod?

With the flash wanting to "pop-up" I would suggest that the shutter speed is rather slow so unless you have a really stable platform you could be having camera shake. The longer the lense the more this is apparent - hence why at 55mm your okay.
Old 2009-02-28, 7:29am

I have been using a tripod, I also have the light tent and the photo bulbs. It is the actual camara settings of the nikion D60 that I am lost on. Like how to set white balence, aperture and the Fstop numbers, like how do I know which number to use for fstop and I quess I don`t fully understand apature. I don`t normally view myself as stupid, however I certainly feel that way with this camara.

Have a great day.
Rhonda
Old 2009-02-28, 10:08am
A True Woofer

Have you gone through the manual? The manual for my D50 explained all that kind of stuff. I set the white balance by using a gray piece of cloth and following the instructions in the manual.

Old 2009-02-28, 10:44pm

I would suggest to set the dial to the A setting (Aperature priority) - and set the aperature to F11 or maybe F16 - this would give you good(ish) depth of field without softening the image up too much by going too small on the aperature.

To set the aperature hold down the exposure compensation button (near the shutter) and then with your thumb turn the main control wheel on back of the camera.

For the moment I would leave the white balance on Auto - at least until you get used to the camera control a little more - and also see what the output on auto is like (You can always tweek it a bit in post processing if needed)

SLR's can have a steep learning curve - but its well worth the effort.
Old 2009-03-01, 11:22am

Thank you all. I have gone through the manual, but when I tried to follow the instructions in the manual it did not seem to do what I needed it to do. I will try your instructions thanks

Have a great day.
Rhonda
Old 2009-03-02, 1:28pm
szglassy

Are you shooting with the standard lens.....anyone?
Old 2009-03-02, 4:37pm

I am using the 55 lens, I did get the 60 to 200 lens, only I`m having a hard time getting it to focus. Here are some pictures I took this week playing with the settings. I think they are o.k. and probably could use some improvement.
feel free to critique and offer any suggestions on fixing. I so appreciate everyones help.

Have a great day.
Rhonda
Old 2009-03-03, 9:35pm
szglassy

I'm not expert,but it looks a little out of focus. I'm sure that more practice would make it sharp.
And sorry.......I'll be experimenting with my D70 this week......so I'm following your thread for feedback.

Good Luck!
Old 2009-03-04, 5:01pm

You may want to try taking it off of auto focus and putting it on manual.

Mary
Old 2009-03-04, 5:01pm

The switch is on the left side of the lens.

Mary
Old 2009-03-05, 7:42pm

Thank you I will try the manual focus.

Have a great day.
Rhonda
Old 2009-03-05, 9:51pm
Entropy increasing....

I would not use a blue background because it will reflect blue light onto your beads.

Put the timer on to take the picture. You can't take a clear super close up pic by pushing the button with your hand. You can't touch the camera at all.
Old 2009-03-06, 4:48pm
szglassy

Are you shooting with the zoom extended or retracted,then enlarging the image?