LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2009-05-26, 4:43pm
boro color bender

A buddy snapped a few shots of me making a heart... not the right times... or not the shots I would include in a tutorial, but maybe they will help just the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-05-26, 4:46pm

Here are some of my first attempts.
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-26, 11:52pm
don't burn your fingers!

Brent is an awesome teacher!!! I took his class at AS last September, and we all had a great time!! I had some photos of the class, but a hard drive crash took them to the grave!! I will post some photos of the hearts that I have made soon. They are not "Mr. Smiley" quality, but they look o.k.!! Thanks again Brent!!
Old 2009-05-27, 4:37am
boro color bender

Thanks for the kind words Scout... it was an awesome class... great folks at Arrow Springs. You guys really make the class. I'm just the hired monkey doing my dance.

Can't wait to see what you've been up to.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-05-27, 6:18am
ID10T Problem Solver

I am still waiting for the video!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2009-06-16, 8:50pm
boro color bender

I know... I'm trying...

Old 2009-06-16, 9:06pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
A buddy snapped a few shots of me making a heart... not the right times... or not the shots I would include in a tutorial, but maybe they will help just the same.
Very helpful Brent !!! Thanks for the pics

Old 2009-06-23, 10:54pm
I speak Murrini!

My turn!

Although working in 104, and on a Hot Head, I decided to give this a try today! I've admired these for so very long - and all the work here is wonderful! Thanks so much Brent for sharing your technique with us.

Funny what inspires us...

I wanted to make a "remembrance" piece. This is my first try - it's named "Neda", which I believe speaks for itself. In the colors of the revolution...

Then I tried one in Moretti White; always fun trying to control off mandrel melty 104 white...but I got it to behave!!! I used striking red for the drip. I call this one "Pure Heart":

And, of course, it just wouldn't be right if I didn't try and "miniaturize" one...this is only 1/4" long - in Hades, with clear/silver dichro drip. This one I call "Love on Ice":

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-06-28, 12:30am
don't burn your fingers!

Okay, so as promised, here are a few of my "smiley style" hearts. I have been using the techniques that I learned to work on some different pendants as well. I will post them as I get them done. Also, Here is something that I am doing with the pendants that I am making. I am adding silver bezels and bails. Let me know what you think.
Old 2009-06-28, 8:35am
passionate about pets

The silver bezel pendants look exactly like a lady I know who makes them here in Canada. She has been making them like that now for 10 years if not longer. she does tear drops, round, square, rectangle and oval shapes. Her's look more like your first picture but she does mainly fusing. I like them. Did you make your own bezel?

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-06-28, 10:53am
don't burn your fingers!

Default Silver bezels

Yeah,
I fabricated everything, including the bail. The first picture is actually the back of the pendant. I have never seen this style before, everyone that I have seen does the fused thing, and then sets in silver, and the back is always solid, not relieved. I thought it would be an interesting change to see the fluid movements and the purely organic nature of a lampworked piece set in the silver, and to have the ability to keep the back open to allow transfer of color and light through my artwork. I have a smaller oval I am working on now, so I will see how at goes! I will post it here when I am done! Hopefully my work will inspire others to keep pushing the quality and style of glass art to a new level! I am glad you like it!!
Actually, I will start a new thread for the next photo, This is Brent's thread, so I don't want to abuse it!! I was mainly showing what I learned in his class with the hearts. I should have posted the silver bezel in a new thread in the first place!! Sorry about that Brent.
Old 2009-06-29, 7:31am

Default Silver Bezels

I have seen this piece in person and it is just lovely. (picture, in no way, captures it) The bezel really increases the refractive qualities of the boro. It pops the colors AND reflects the wearers attire more so than an unset piece.

I just attended a Bead Bazaar at Arrow Springs, and did not see any pieces set in silver like Scout's work. Which is probably why I was so taken with it.

Flame working is a new interested and have my first class set up for July. (You can blame Scout for that). If there are other flame worked pieces, set in silver. I would love to drool over them.

Best Wishes
Dot
Old 2009-06-29, 8:26am
boro color bender

Scout, I like the bezel and the hearts... hijackers are always welcome in my threads... Nice job man!

Old 2009-06-30, 9:03am
I speak Murrini!

Another one - I think I'm addicted~~~~

Clown Fish Heart:

This guy is going in my Etsy!

De

Old 2009-06-30, 9:57pm
don't burn your fingers!

HEHEHE! I Am A hiJacker!! Thanks for the kind words about my silver work Brent! And Dot, and Storm!
Old 2009-07-01, 10:09am
I speak Murrini!

A couple more...I love making these! I think I need to work on the shape/cut a little better When I pulled these out of the kiln this a.m. and showed my hubby, he said "What are they supposed to be?" When I told him "Hearts", he said they were kinda "weird and lopsided - sorry! GA-DOOL! I still like 'em...

Patriotic Heart:

And "Sweet 'N Sour":

De

Old 2009-07-01, 10:53pm
I speak Murrini!

And my obsession continues - this time, I used some of Avenue Beads Sparkly Blue Shards:

De

Old 2009-07-03, 8:50am
I speak Murrini!

Default But WAIT, there's more...

Somebody....stop me!

Kind of weird looking, but I like it! Striking Yellow rolled in Aventurine Frit, encased in clear - then a Skull Murrini to accent. Anyone who has read "The Gold Bug" by Edgar Allen Poe - and is familiar with the intriguing cryptogram contained therein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gold-Bug) - will surely appreciate this bead:

"The Gold Bug":

...more to come!

De

Old 2009-07-03, 1:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Out of control...I LOVE making these (but you've figured that out already, right?)

Blue Skies and Butterflies (Butterfly Murrini by Ryan Turner):

And a Triton reduced Heart - I think I went a bit overboard on the Redux, though:

Are you sick of me yet?

De

Old 2009-07-06, 2:24pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Not me, I could look all day long, (well until my spit glands dry up from drooling that is)

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-07-10, 11:17pm
boro color bender

Love them De... keep em coming!

Old 2009-07-11, 12:50am
I speak Murrini!

Thanks so much, Brent! I'm quite in love with this design - thank you again for guiding us and sharing the recipe!

I've joined in the current Marble Exchange...and will be back to hearts as soon as I get my marbles made I already have some new ideas...

Hugs,
De

Old 2009-08-10, 5:48am
boro color bender

Ian is really getting the shape down... he's having so much fun on the torch. Will try to get pics soon.

I'm also going to be working on the heart video very soon...

Old 2009-08-10, 8:26am
I speak Murrini!

Yay!

Old 2009-10-25, 11:40am
honorary bead lady

A little late to the party...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=142011
Old 2009-10-26, 1:12am

Default Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post

Brent - That is what I call a good demo picture - right onthe button. Thanks
Ingrideh

My blog
Old 2009-11-05, 8:53pm

This is my first heart i made. Its a boro heart. Thanks for the tutorial Mr. Smiley!
Attached Images

Old 2009-11-17, 5:36pm

Wow. thank you sooooo much. i was trying this the other night and couldn't get it right. now that i know a little secret i shall be trying it again.
Old 2009-11-18, 12:52am
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Thanks so much, Brent! I'm quite in love with this design - thank you again for guiding us and sharing the recipe!

I've joined in the current Marble Exchange...and will be back to hearts as soon as I get my marbles made I already have some new ideas...

Hugs,
De
What De said Brent! (except for the part about the marble exchange

Rachel the firekat

Old 2010-01-21, 2:34pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Thought I would pop in and post a couple new ones from me. I have found that (like De) the can be made on the HH, but you get much more drippy action with a minor, can ya tell I Love my new torch
Here they are, soft glass even!!!
Hugs
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!