LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-03, 12:25am
Senior Moment

Brass may melt or at the very least the copper will come to the surface and will have to be sanded off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-03, 1:22am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
Probably a stupid question (I feel like I'm coming up with tons of those today) but Kevan, what sort of oil do you use for your keys? I think I'd like to try that, first, before trying Krylon.
You know, I think any kind of grease will do. I use the stuff I buff my etched beads with. I'm thinking of selling it. It's a mixture of natural oils, butters and waxes.

I think most people oil steel with mineral oil. Which is a petroleum product. Petroleum jelly is the same thing only thicker. Baby oil is the same, also.
Old 2007-10-03, 7:36am
Molten Glass Addict

I bid on some keys on ebay and won. they don't have the holes in the end. That lot of keys went for way too much. I'll need to find some hemostats.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-10-04, 7:04pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Thanks for the punty tip Kevan! I've been using hemostats and getting pretty good results, but a punty will make it much easier to turn!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2007-10-04, 7:51pm

I wonder if the beads made directly onto the key - without bead release - arn't more prone to cracking than beads that can slide because there really is no room there for the metal in the key to expand and contract with changes in temperature. I don't use a very thick coating of bead release, but it's enough that there is room for the bead to slide and the metal to expand/contract without affecting the glass.

OH COOL!!
DH just brought me a pair of straight hemostats that he had welded onto a 1/8" mandrel for making my keys!! I'll post a pix later, but now I'm off to play with my new toy

Old 2007-10-09, 8:25pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

my secret garden keys

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-10, 1:05am

Laurie,
Those are beautiful!

Old 2007-10-10, 2:03am
Entropy increasing....

Nice job, Laurie!
Old 2007-10-10, 10:25am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstastic Treasures View Post
I bid on some keys on ebay and won. they don't have the holes in the end. That lot of keys went for way too much. I'll need to find some hemostats.
I was checking out some skeleton keys at an antique store the other day. They wanted WAAAAAAY to much for them, so I didn't buy any. BUT - I did find out some interesting information....

Skeleton Key - generally longer, will NOT have an open end/hole.

Cabinet Key - generally smaller. WILL have a hole in the end.

Clock Key - generally smaller. Probably does not have an open end. Also does not have "teeth" on the end.

Clock and Cabinet keys will generally sell for more.

Just thought y'all would be interested in some generally useless trivia...
Old 2007-10-10, 10:43am

those are awesome Kevan and Laurie

Old 2007-10-10, 10:55am
Give to receive...simple.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the information here..THANNNKSS!

Old 2007-10-10, 11:43am
Entropy increasing....

I bought a bunch of keys on Ebay. I have one that is very ornate.
Old 2007-10-11, 8:30am
SCIENCE Teacher!

If you build them on bead release, how are you getting the bead release out of the bead? Or are you just knocking the edges off and leving it in there?
Old 2007-10-11, 8:41am
Just Plain

I just hold it under running water and wiggle the bead loose, and slide it back & forth & round & round against the key. The friction & pressure between the key and the bead under the running water seems to get it out.

Old 2007-10-11, 9:57am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
If you build them on bead release, how are you getting the bead release out of the bead? Or are you just knocking the edges off and leving it in there?
I was wondering the same thing -- maybe the shaft of the key is rough enough to scrape the release out as Jayne suggested. If not you could maybe use some of Paulas bead cleaner which I really like (Venbead).

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-11, 10:00am

I'm using KRAG Mud - the release comes off the inside of the bead just by running the bead up and down along the key under water.

Old 2007-10-11, 10:50am

Thanks for the tips Kevan, I had two old keys I wanted to try this with, but waited until I could buy a few more so I'd have spares.
Here is my first attempt.... I am sure I'll be making more now!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-11, 4:48pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

hmm, do you think we had the same idea?
Attached Images

Old 2007-10-11, 5:04pm

Nahhh ! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
hmm, do you think we had the same idea?

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-11, 6:46pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

awesome keys! its addciting Ive been wanting to make these for about two years!

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-12, 5:57am
SCIENCE Teacher!

You know what's really amazing? I send the link to this post to a friend of mine. She has been lampworking for about 14 years and started before there were hotheads and all the glass colors were labeled in Italian! She made several of these about 4-5 years ago.

Great minds and all that..!
Old 2007-10-12, 12:40pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Everyone's key beads are great! I finally did it, I'm not happy with the actual beads but the fact that I actually made a bead on a key has me super stoked!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-10-12, 6:44pm
Modern Renaissance Man

Default My Key Bead

Here is my go at Key Bead....

Char!

Old 2007-10-12, 6:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char! View Post
Here is my go at Key Bead....

Char!
love it char. whats it made of?

Old 2007-10-13, 5:29am
Modern Renaissance Man

Bright shiney material commonly known as Sterling Silver!..hehhee

It is designed as a "add a bead" this is the prototype fabricated here in my studio.

Char!

Old 2007-10-13, 5:40am

Ahhh so the bead isn't made on this key then? I am not sure it's a true key bead, as those are crafted on the key. I couldn't see how you got those nicely rounded bicone edges on a key where the ends interefered (Nice bead BTW~)! (Nor how you got it so shiney!)

Is this a piece where the top unscrews and you slide a bead onto it? It's a kewl concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char! View Post
Bright shiney material commonly known as Sterling Silver!..hehhee

It is designed as a "add a bead" this is the prototype fabricated here in my studio.

Char!

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2007-10-14 at 5:17pm.
Old 2007-10-13, 4:49pm
Modern Renaissance Man

It's a key..it's a bead...Key Bead...I am not one to argure...you can make large ovals as pictures or even bi-cones, by using the edge of your marver and the greater part of your marver surface towards the center of the bead, even with the edges almost touching the the handle or "keyed end".

This key is designed to keep the bead stationary. It does not slid up and down but it will spin around the shank. It utilizes a press fit component that is part of the "keyed end". The next prototype will incorporate a "screw component".

I started doing silversmithing about 25 years ago. Any metal can be brought to a polish, even a bead made on a key!

Char!

Old 2007-10-13, 9:18pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Very nice concept and very professional execution. 5 stars! I wouldn't want to polish the true antiques, tho. They have the feel of times gone by. Like my hubby, a true gentleman and a vanishing breed.
Old 2007-10-14, 9:45am

Sue just brought me a KEY!!!! (and leslie/Iron Mountain sent me hemostats a few weeks ago!!)
(rofl. lets see what I can blow up now )
and pointed me to this thread.....now I've got something else to look for @ yardsales....(omg)

So...here's a scary question....
Anyone know if you can use the shavings from a key-machine for frit? (you know the "dust" that comes from cutting keys? It's all shaved metals....)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-10-14, 5:05pm
Smokeylady54

I Just Love This Thread And The Beads On The Keys Are A Real

Wow Wow Wow